QB Transfers

Warrior

9 hours ago, I am I said:

QBs, expecially the 4-5 star type want to lead a team, want play. Most guys at any position this level do. 

But the negative is that they start going to QB coaches and camps at age 8-9 yrs old. If they truly have talent and evolve and grow into that position, they  feel so  entitled to play and own that spot. They are told they “have what it takes” that “they are being recruited” (by other little league teams!!) and that “it matters moving into freshman year if they know they are the man”. It’s ridiculous. 

I could tell a little story but I won’t. I’ll just say I’ve seen it first hand coaching my son’s football team for 5 yrs from 3rd-8th grade (in the district where Mcaffrey and Linn play) that by the time these kids, ESPECIALLY quarterbacks, reach 7-8th grade...if they aren’t playing and given treatment to start and play....they leave teams and their freakin dads are scouring teams that let them play QB. At 10 yrs old!!!

Look at the freshman from Bama and his elder and what their dads were saying. Look at UCLA’s QB and his dad. Gebbia, Crouch, and dozens and dozens of others. It’s disgusting and when you take into account how many kids actually earn a scholarship, start for a team 2-3 yrs, and go pro it’s even more gross; considering it’s a shot at the pros they’re doing this for. The chance to make pro QB is nil. Just go to school and play football. 

It’s why I can’t stand pro football anymore, I know the wrangling these guys took to get there and it’s gross. Leave transfers alone, especially at QB. They’re a headache. 

Your post here is anecdotal...but...it definitely matches up to what we are seeing in college football with the QB position.

9 hours ago, Undone said:

I think even the average 18 year old kid understands that Martinez is the four year starter at this point no matter what. McCaffrey will know that it's actually in his best interest to redshirt. In which case he's not starting his senior year but rather his redshirt junior year and therefore could easily be a two year starter.

The problem nowadays (as stupid as it is) is when you have two good guys in the same class.

Why is this such an assumption, 2 National Title contenders just moved other QBs in front one ones who were competing for national titles.   If this is the assumption I think you are completely off base.   Assuming someone is your four year starter as a staff is also ridiculous.  I don't think this staff thinks like that at all, and they shouldn't because the best teams in the country don't give 5 farts, they start the best they have. 

• Plus1 1

I don't understand this talk about the Huskers being Martinez's team. We are in transition at every position and there is a group of guys who are not buying in. If the team belongs to this freshman, it means that his exit from the game demoralizes at least the offensive side. That's simply not true. We struggle with or without him in the game. And the idea that, two games into a career, with neither being a full game, indicates we have found a four year guy, that's just silly. We certainly will have Luke coming in next year but it would be nice to red shirt him (Callahan called Luke a developmental QB on Big Red Wrap Up). Noah will be eligible but we don't know what he brings. That leaves Martinez and Bunch, if he doesn't quit or transfer. If we can get a juco guy in here, we should. The idea that Martinez sitting for a year or two makes him want to transfer so we shouldn't bring anyone in, is rediculus. He could use a red shirt next year and end up with a year or two of development that would make him ready to take us to a champ game and win it and set his future up in the league. If he's willing to quit like Gebbia, then he's not the competitor we thought he was.

• Plus1 1
30 minutes ago, tmfr15 said:

I don't understand this talk about the Huskers being Martinez's team. We are in transition at every position and there is a group of guys who are not buying in. If the team belongs to this freshman, it means that his exit from the game demoralizes at least the offensive side. That's simply not true. We struggle with or without him in the game. And the idea that, two games into a career, with neither being a full game, indicates we have found a four year guy, that's just silly. We certainly will have Luke coming in next year but it would be nice to red shirt him (Callahan called Luke a developmental QB on Big Red Wrap Up). Noah will be eligible but we don't know what he brings. That leaves Martinez and Bunch, if he doesn't quit or transfer. If we can get a juco guy in here, we should. The idea that Martinez sitting for a year or two makes him want to transfer so we shouldn't bring anyone in, is rediculus. He could use a red shirt next year and end up with a year or two of development that would make him ready to take us to a champ game and win it and set his future up in the league. If he's willing to quit like Gebbia, then he's not the competitor we thought he was.

Then he might not be the competitor you thought he was because I don't think he would like your plan at all. If he starts this year and is told he will be benched the next 2 years there is a good chance of a transfer. We aren't bringing in a Juco, Martinez is our guy. We are clealy more dangerous on offense with him in the game so the "we struggle with or without him" is nonsense. Thats because our team isn't very good but you are dead wrong if you don't think Martinez makes a difference out there. Bunch can perform servicably but Martinez is head and shoulders above him right now.

• Fire 1

10 hours ago, killer cacti said:

Um, we did. They’ve all just been elite and know they’ll play elsewhere. 4th QB transfer at Clemson since January. We outrecruited ourselves.

He’s talking about a general rule and how this proves you should always take one because you never know what’s going to change in a year. Mike Riley allegedly told a highly rated QB recruit that we wouldn’t take another one in the following class if he committed here and we all cringed.

10 hours ago, KingBlank said:

Why is this such an assumption, 2 National Title contenders just moved other QBs in front one ones who were competing for national titles.   If this is the assumption I think you are completely off base.   Assuming someone is your four year starter as a staff is also ridiculous.  I don't think this staff thinks like that at all, and they shouldn't because the best teams in the country don't give 5 farts, they start the best they have. 

I didn't say any of the words you put into my mouth. 

I didn't say that the staff will have absolutely locked in on Martinez for 2019 such that there's no open competition for that spot. 

11 hours ago, killer cacti said:

Um, we did. They’ve all just been elite and know they’ll play elsewhere. 4th QB transfer at Clemson since January. We outrecruited ourselves.

Something to be said about taking a few 3 star kids who can be ok with redshirting year one, and then backing up years 2 and 3, learning the playbook and then competing.

Nice thing for you is your new starter should be there for a few years. Just needs to stay healthy.

No one is saying Martinez should be benched for the next two years. What I am saying is that a JUCO should be brought in to compete with Adrian because 1) Luke is developmental and should red shirt. 2) Bunch probably isn't going to push Adrian and there's no guarantee he comes back next year. 3) Noah is an unknown factor.  And, finally, 5) If we don't have a JUCO and Adrian gets hurt again next year, we might end up repeating the trouble of 2018 in 2019.

Adrian is a competitor. That's great. He should compete for the job. If a JUCO comes in and beats him out, then the JUCO should play. If a JUCO comes in and competes with Adrian and Noah but Noah ends up winning the job, then Noah should play. This idea that we finally recruited a good QB, and that, because he won a legit battle with Gebbia, he's automatically our four-year solution at QB is a head scratching moment for me.

I thought Bobby Newcombe was going to be our solution at QB. Crouch ended up winning the job and winning the Heisman. I was wrong about a super talented Bobby Newcombe. We could be wrong about a super talented Adrian Martinez. The bottom line is that you have to continue to recruit, continue to develop and continue to keep the competition live all the time. If Martinez ends up being the man, that's fine with me. Four years with a super star QB, or at least three, because a guy like that might go to the league, would be awesome.

• Plus1 1
11 minutes ago, tmfr15 said:

No one is saying Martinez should be benched for the next two years. What I am saying is that a JUCO should be brought in to compete with Adrian because 1) Luke is developmental and should red shirt. 2) Bunch probably isn't going to push Adrian and there's no guarantee he comes back next year. 3) Noah is an unknown factor.  And, finally, 5) If we don't have a JUCO and Adrian gets hurt again next year, we might end up repeating the trouble of 2018 in 2019.

Tough to find a JUCO QB who is 1) good, and 2) willing to transfer to a school with a returning starter with more eligibility than him remaining.  The odds of coming in and unseating the returning starter are low, and when they're transferring (JUCO or not) it's to start.Transferring into an open competition is one thing, transferring to be the competition for a starter has very little upside.

25 minutes ago, Husker in WI said:

Good points. I know that it's hard to find a JUCO guy who is good enough to start and willing to compete, but we have to look. And to the point of an open competition, I believe that it is open. Adrian beat out Tristan. But Tristan left. Getting another competitor in could help keep up the competition as hot as possible. Luke is likely not ready to do that. I am hopeful that Noah is ready to go and that his understanding of the offense is a good thing. But I am not sure. Maybe finding out how much the separation was between Noah and McKenzie Milton might shed light on this QB race. Could someone speak to that?

25 minutes ago, Husker in WI said:

Tough to find a JUCO QB who is 1) good, and 2) willing to transfer to a school with a returning starter with more eligibility than him remaining.  The odds of coming in and unseating the returning starter are low, and when they're transferring (JUCO or not) it's to start.Transferring into an open competition is one thing, transferring to be the competition for a starter has very little upside.

12 minutes ago, tmfr15 said:

Good points. I know that it's hard to find a JUCO guy who is good enough to start and willing to compete, but we have to look. And to the point of an open competition, I believe that it is open. Adrian beat out Tristan. But Tristan left. Getting another competitor in could help keep up the competition as hot as possible. Luke is likely not ready to do that. I am hopeful that Noah is ready to go and that his understanding of the offense is a good thing. But I am not sure. Maybe finding out how much the separation was between Noah and McKenzie Milton might shed light on this QB race. Could someone speak to that?

Martinez is head and shoulders above any other QB we have on campus that includes Vedral. Martinez does need competition but it won't be in the form of a transfer. The ideal situation is to bring in a better freshman like Bama, Georgia and Clemson. But that isn't happening it looks like so niw we are left with Martinez is likely the 4 year starter. This isn't a Newcombe situation, Martinez has looked like a star at QB from the get go. Newcombe was just really fast. The fact is the only way Martinez gets replaced at this point is by an incoming freshmam. The likelyhood of us pursuing a transfer at the QB spot or vice versa is low given our current situation.

12 minutes ago, StPaulHusker said:

The coaches just need to keep recruiting QB's every year and it will work itself out over the next few seasons.  The only reason we would need a JUCO or a grad transfer is if there is a mass exodus including the starter and you need to rebuild depth.

A minimum of 1 every year shouldn't be too tall of a task

Would a QB declaring early for the NFL draft and 2 other scholarship QB's transferring constitute a mass exodus?

Just now, FrankWheeler said:

Would a QB declaring early for the NFL draft and 2 other scholarship QB's transferring constitute a mass exodus?

In the context of a dumpster fire of a coaching staff that gets fired followed by a new coach instituting a completely different offensive scheme than the ones these three QBs in question were recruiting to play in, no.