QB Transfers

Warrior

On 9/26/2018 at 1:33 PM, knapplc said:

I'll bet both of these guys transfer in. Think of how much it will benefit their careers to sit on the bench and watch Adrian Martinez work his magic.  They can see the magical dollar signs floating about their eyeballs with all that learnin' they're about to do.

They've likely both already been in contact with our staff and are actively searching their Rand McNally travel maps for Lincoln, NE.

Only question is, which one do you put in first after mop-up duty?

42-4 combined records as starting QB's, I'm sure either one feels like they can compete with AM.  The difference is Frost doesn't need the quick fix he will be given time.  I was trying to put something worth discussing on the board as opposed to the Hundreds of the sky is falling Threads!  

On 9/27/2018 at 7:30 AM, tmfr15 said:

I don't understand this talk about the Huskers being Martinez's team. We are in transition at every position and there is a group of guys who are not buying in. If the team belongs to this freshman, it means that his exit from the game demoralizes at least the offensive side. That's simply not true. We struggle with or without him in the game. And the idea that, two games into a career, with neither being a full game, indicates we have found a four year guy, that's just silly. We certainly will have Luke coming in next year but it would be nice to red shirt him (Callahan called Luke a developmental QB on Big Red Wrap Up). Noah will be eligible but we don't know what he brings. That leaves Martinez and Bunch, if he doesn't quit or transfer. If we can get a juco guy in here, we should. The idea that Martinez sitting for a year or two makes him want to transfer so we shouldn't bring anyone in, is rediculus. He could use a red shirt next year and end up with a year or two of development that would make him ready to take us to a champ game and win it and set his future up in the league. If he's willing to quit like Gebbia, then he's not the competitor we thought he was.

I have a strong feeling you haven't had a kid play quarterback in high school nor have you put thousands of dollars into camps for a kid.  If you have then I have a feeling you would change your tune.  These 5 and 4* qbs have put in tons of work, the parents have spent thousands of dollars and the kids have been getting told that they're the best thing ever and could make it in the big leagues.  Why would they wanna sit on the bench and give up their dream when they think they can make the NFL?  Why would parents tell them to stay when they spent a lot of time and money to get their kid to play on the next level?

I feel like people are completely ignoring the psychology of these 4* and high 3* qbs.

On 9/27/2018 at 7:30 AM, tmfr15 said:

I don't understand this talk about the Huskers being Martinez's team. We are in transition at every position and there is a group of guys who are not buying in. If the team belongs to this freshman, it means that his exit from the game demoralizes at least the offensive side. That's simply not true. We struggle with or without him in the game. And the idea that, two games into a career, with neither being a full game, indicates we have found a four year guy, that's just silly. We certainly will have Luke coming in next year but it would be nice to red shirt him (Callahan called Luke a developmental QB on Big Red Wrap Up). Noah will be eligible but we don't know what he brings. That leaves Martinez and Bunch, if he doesn't quit or transfer. If we can get a juco guy in here, we should. The idea that Martinez sitting for a year or two makes him want to transfer so we shouldn't bring anyone in, is rediculus. He could use a red shirt next year and end up with a year or two of development that would make him ready to take us to a champ game and win it and set his future up in the league. If he's willing to quit like Gebbia, then he's not the competitor we thought he was.

I have a strong feeling you haven't had a kid play quarterback in high school nor have you put thousands of dollars into camps for a kid.  If you have then I have a feeling you would change your tune.  These 5 and 4* qbs have put in tons of work, the parents have spent thousands of dollars and the kids have been getting told that they're the best thing ever and could make it in the big leagues.  Why would they wanna sit on the bench and give up their dream when they think they can make the NFL?  Why would parents tell them to stay when they spent a lot of time and money to get their kid to play on the next level?

I feel like people are completely ignoring the psychology of these 4* and high 3* qbs.

2 hours ago, Stumpy1 said:

Neither Bryant or Hurts would helps us this year or next year also.   They would still need to sit out a full football season due to transfer rules.  The 4 game redshirt year won't help them play any earlier. 

No the loophole in the new rule is that they can leave now and this year counts as the red shirt or sitting out year.

2 hours ago, Warrior said:

No the loophole in the new rule is that they can leave now and this year counts as the red shirt or sitting out year.

Thats not what they said earlier today on espn radio.  They said that the players will still have to sit next year because of the transfer rule.  The redshirt rule has nothing to do with transfers, just redshirting.  

If the guy transferring is a senior,  he can play the following year as a grad transfer even though he redshirtted under the 4 game rule.  If the player isnt a senior,  he can still use the redshirt rule but will still have to sit out the following year until eligible. 

1 hour ago, Stumpy1 said:

Thats not what they said earlier today on espn radio.  They said that the players will still have to sit next year because of the transfer rule.  The redshirt rule has nothing to do with transfers, just redshirting.  

If the guy transferring is a senior,  he can play the following year as a grad transfer even though he redshirtted under the 4 game rule.  If the player isnt a senior,  he can still use the redshirt rule but will still have to sit out the following year until eligible. 

I think you misunderstood ESPN

10 minutes ago, Stumpy1 said:

Im sure I didnt

My understanding is the same as yours.  I've been looking and haven't seen us shown incorrect anywhere.  My understanding is if a true sophomore decides to transfer after 4 games, he gets a redshirt this season.  He would then have to sit the following year at the new school which means he could play as a junior.  But if these kids are doing it, we must be misunderstanding because it doesn't make sense to waste a redshirt year when could be "proving your wares" to other teams....

21 minutes ago, funhusker said:

My understanding is the same as yours.  I've been looking and haven't seen us shown incorrect anywhere.  My understanding is if a true sophomore decides to transfer after 4 games, he gets a redshirt this season.  He would then have to sit the following year at the new school which means he could play as a junior.  But if these kids are doing it, we must be misunderstanding because it doesn't make sense to waste a redshirt year when could be "proving your wares" to other teams....

Yep...that is how it was mentioned today.  Just because they decide to transfer 4 games into the season doesnt make them immediately eligible the following season at a new school.  They still have to sit because of the transfer rule. 

35 minutes ago, Stumpy1 said:

Yep...that is how it was mentioned today.  Just because they decide to transfer 4 games into the season doesnt make them immediately eligible the following season at a new school.  They still have to sit because of the transfer rule. 

Division I five-year clock: If you play at a Division I school, you have five-calendar years in which to play four seasons of competition. Your five-year clock starts when you enroll as a full-time student at any college. Thereafter, your clock continues, even if you spend an academic year in residence as a result of transferring; decide to red shirt, if you do not attend school or even if you go part-time during your college career.

This is from NCAA.org.  These kids still have 5-years, that's it.  Simple question: Will Tristan Gebbia be able to play for Oregon State next year?  If "yes", we're wrong.  If "no", we're right.

Edit:  https://osubeavers.com/news/2018/9/3/football-tristan-gebbia-joins-oregon-state.aspx  Looks Like Gebbia can play next year.....I'm still confused...:dunno:D