QB Transfers

Warrior

2 minutes ago, southernoregonhusker said:

Gebbia on the radio today.  Said about leaving DONU, “I loved being a part of Nebraska football, but at the end of the day the writing was on the wall. The system didn’t fit me well… I wanted to get to a place where I could air it out a little bit and not rely so much on my legs."

Wise choice but poor timing.  I think going through spring ball and studying the playbook would have been enough info to figure it out.  Adrian being made #1 QB was probably the writing he saw.

• Plus1 1
22 minutes ago, southernoregonhusker said:

Gebbia on the radio today.  Said about leaving DONU, “I loved being a part of Nebraska football, but at the end of the day the writing was on the wall. The system didn’t fit me well… I wanted to get to a place where I could air it out a little bit and not rely so much on my legs."

I remember plenty of Gebbia lovers saying that Frost's offense would be perfect for him.

• Plus1 1

I honestly don't see this offense being all that heavy of a reliance on running by the QB. It's an obvious pass first offense, and accuracy is important. I think Gebbia could have done well in the offense. I just think the writing on the wall he saw was AM is just as good/better a passer as him, a much better runner, and just overall much more dynamic. 

• Plus1 1
4 minutes ago, C N Red said:

I honestly don't see this offense being all that heavy of a reliance on running by the QB. It's an obvious pass first offense, and accuracy is important. I think Gebbia could have done well in the offense. I just think the writing on the wall he saw was AM is just as good/better a passer as him, a much better runner, and just overall much more dynamic. 

The offense may not "rely on a running QB" but it certainly is a requirement based on the QB's who have been/are being recruited to NU by Frost & Verduzco.  When the QB is a dynamic runner, along with a guy who can make quick decisions and accurate passes, it makes the offense click and so versatile.

• Plus1 1

2 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

Gebbia lovers???  Really. 

Contrary to you hating the kid?

I didn't hate the kid.  I just realized he wouldn't be an ideal fit for Frost's offense, while plenty of others thought he could/would still be a good QB for Frost.  He was not a dynamic runner and was too slight.  I don't blame him for transferring at all.

• Plus1 2
32 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

I didn't hate the kid.  I just realized he wouldn't be an ideal fit for Frost's offense, while plenty of others thought he could/would still be a good QB for Frost.  He was not a dynamic runner and was too slight.  I don't blame him for transferring at all.

And, just because some thought he could fit they’re “Gebbia lovers” ....which comes across as a derogatory term. 

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 2
1 hour ago, ColoradoHusk said:

Watching Milton I thought Gebbia might be an effective runner in Frost's offense and I think physically they are about the same size.  I'm not sure a player of Martinez's size would have escaped the injury Milton got in the same situation.  Gebbia was twiggy though and when he entered fall camp apparently not adding much weight I was concerned for his durability.  I'd be more worried getting hit by a blitzing linebacker than being tackled running the ball if I was Gebbia.

6 hours ago, ColoradoHusk said:

I remember plenty of Gebbia lovers saying that Frost's offense would be perfect for him.

To be fair, I think he would have been fine in the offense.

But "the system didn't fit me" is much easier to say than "the other guy was just better than me".

• Plus1 6

1 hour ago, JoeSakic2019 said:

Contrary to what many people want to believe, the competition between Gebbia and Martinez really was down to the final week. Gebbia can do 95% of what Martinez does. However AM was a freshman and he was a Frost recruit. Fortunately I feel the coaches made the right choice.

I trust Gebbia could throw as well, but no one, no matter how many practices they watched, is gonna convince me that toothpick was anywhere near as athletic as Martinez. I also don’t believe Frost would make him the starter just because he recruited him. 

• Plus1 5
2 hours ago, JoeSakic2019 said:

Contrary to what many people want to believe, the competition between Gebbia and Martinez really was down to the final week. Gebbia can do 95% of what Martinez does. However AM was a freshman and he was a Frost recruit. Fortunately I feel the coaches made the right choice.

I'm sure the QB competition last fall was close, but Martinez clinched the starting spot when he made an "oh crap" run against the #1 defense in scrimmage drills at a practice near the end of camp.

As Mavric stated, Martinez has turned out to be the better QB, and that's not a knock against Gebbia.  In almost everything, there is going to be someone "better than you".

17 hours ago, southernoregonhusker said:

"I wanted to get to a place where I could air it out a little bit and not rely so much on my legs."

Wouldn't surprise me if it was less "I'm not fast enough" and more like "I don't like getting hit when I run."

• Plus1 2