QB Transfers

Warrior

3 hours ago, JoeSakic2019 said:

Contrary to what many people want to believe, the competition between Gebbia and Martinez really was down to the final week. Gebbia can do 95% of what Martinez does. However AM was a freshman and he was a Frost recruit. Fortunately I feel the coaches made the right choice.

Sure, it was down to the final week because that is when they named the starter...but coaches know long before the day that they "pick" who is really going to start.

• Plus1 1

1 hour ago, ColoradoHusk said:

I'm sure the QB competition last fall was close, but Martinez clinched the starting spot when he made an "oh crap" run against the #1 defense in scrimmage drills at a practice near the end of camp.

As Mavric stated, Martinez has turned out to be the better QB, and that's not a knock against Gebbia.  In almost everything, there is going to be someone "better than you".

I don’t know that anyone can say Martinez has turned out to be better, when Gebbia hasn’t even taken a live snap.

• Plus1 1
46 minutes ago, broganreynik said:

I don’t know that anyone can say Martinez has turned out to be better, when Gebbia hasn’t even taken a live snap.

Correct. Especially when you factor in health issues. 

That being said, if both guys are healthy, I think it is a safe assumption to say Martinez probably has a higher ceiling but who knows how Gebbia would look in real live game action. Martinez certainly proved he has some pretty good skills that translate to on-field success.

Gebbia might not have loved the offense, but he certainly had enough skill(from what I have heard) in his legs to be able to run it but he knew eventually Martinez would be the guy and left for somewhere that recruited him.

I hope he gets a chance to play, I would like to see how he turns out. 

• Plus1 2
Just now, cheekygeek said:

I'll just leave this here.

John Canzano talks with Tristan Gebbia about why he left Nebraska and his favorite sports movie of all time.

I'll just wait until someone else summarizes it for me. 

:sarcasm

But seriously...can someone do that?

• Plus1 2

Said he left NU because the writing was on the wall and that the system did not fit him as well as getting the chance to air it out...

Did not say anything bad that I heard, not that it would matter to me but I know some fans get a boner for that stuff.

Frost likes playing offense with 11 guys...not 10.

• Plus1 1
1 hour ago, teachercd said:

Said he left NU because the writing was on the wall and that the system did not fit him as well as getting the chance to air it out...

Did not say anything bad that I heard, not that it would matter to me but I know some fans get a boner for that stuff.

Frost likes playing offense with 11 guys...not 10.

You're the real MVP. Thanks.

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/10/2019 at 12:34 PM, cheekygeek said:

I'll just leave this here.

John Canzano talks with Tristan Gebbia about why he left Nebraska and his favorite sports movie of all time.

I peeked in on their spring game yesterday to see how “Nebraska NW” was doing.  If he went there to be the starter, it may not happen this year.  The guy currently ahead of him was granted a 6th year of eligibility.  I didn’t see/hear anything about our other transfers, other than being mentioned a lot outside of any actual game action.

56 minutes ago, southernoregonhusker said:

Gebbia isn't going to start initially.  He may get his chance because the o-line is hot garbage.

It'll be interesting if Oregon State can make the leap from god awful to just awful.  If Gebbia wins the job he'll have a couple interesting pieces on offense to work with in Hodgins, Jefferson and they have a big TE whose name escapes me that is pretty good but was hurt last year.

18 minutes ago, Xmas32 said:

It'll be interesting if Oregon State can make the leap from god awful to just awful.  If Gebbia wins the job he'll have a couple interesting pieces on offense to work with in Hodgins, Jefferson and they have a big TE whose name escapes me that is pretty good but was hurt last year.

Yeah....they might win a conference game :lol:

• Plus1 1