Medicaid expansion on Nebraska ballot

This is THE #1 issue that pissed me off the most when the ACA was passed. Those below 138% poverty were supposed to be covered by the ACA, and then that part was blocked and they allowed states to decide on it and only those below 100% were covered. So that meant those between 100%-138% (<$15k per year at the time) weren't covered. The federal government was going to pay for 94% of it. Only GOP states said no to it. This was an utterly stupid move financially for Nebraska because Nebraska doesn't pay that much in federal taxes comparatively. I just looked and we are ranked #26 in federal taxes paid. That means, basically, that other states would have paid for Nebraskans to have health care. More people with more $ in Nebraska would have been a good thing for Nebraska. I calculated, around 5 years ago, that it would have cost Nebraskans $8 per year on average, and that includes the millionaires.

Well, now we can vote on it ourselves. I'm sure we won't pass it anyway because people are ignorant about it, but we really should.

Nebraska Initiative 427, the Medicaid Expansion Initiative, is on the ballot in Nebraska as an initiated state statute on November 6, 2018.[1]

A "yes" vote supports this initiative to require the state to provide Medicaid for persons under the age of 65 and with incomes equal to or below 138 percent of the federal poverty line.
  A "no" vote opposes this initiative to require the state to provide Medicaid for persons under the age of 65 and with incomes equal to or below 138 percent of the federal poverty line.

In 2018, the federal government financed 94 percent of the costs of state Medicaid expansion. For 2020 and subsequent years, the federal government will cover 90 percent of the costs.[3] As of 2018, Nebraska was one of 17 states that had not expanded Medicaid under the ACA.[4]

https://ballotpedia.org/Nebraska_Initiative_427,_Medicaid_Expansion_Initiative_(2018)

• Plus1 2

• Economic measures: Analyses find positive effects of expansion on numerous economic outcomes, despite Medicaid enrollment growth initially exceeding projections in many states. Total (federal and state) Medicaid spending increased following expansion implementation, but research suggests that there were no significant increases in state spending from state funds as a result of the expansion through 2015 (although an uptick in state Medicaid spending growth was projected for 2017 and later years as the federal share for the expansion population phases down from 100% to 90%). Studies also show that Medicaid expansions result in reductions in uncompensated care costs for hospitals and clinics as well as positive or neutral effects on employment and the labor market.

Research does not support a relationship between states’ Medicaid expansion status and home and community-based services (HCBS) waiver waiting lists. One study found that most expansion states either had no HCBS waiver waiting list or had a decrease in their waiting list from 2014 to 2015, and more non-expansion states than expansion states experienced an HCBS waiver waiting list increase between 2014 and 2015.

RE: the last quote, I found an article by a “welfare recipients are lazy and helping people makes them lazier” group that was complaining that medicaid expansion would put the people who really need medicaid on waiting lists.

National, multi-state, and single state studies show that states expanding Medicaid under the ACA have realized budget savings, revenue gains, and overall economic growth. A 2016 study found that growth in state Medicaid spending in expansion states has been lower relative to non-expansion states, but an uptick was predicted for state fiscal year (SFY) 2017, primarily due to the phase-down in the federal share for the expansion population from 100% to 95% in 2017. As of the end of Summer 2016, several expansion states planned to use provider taxes or fees to fund all or part of the state share of expansion costs beginning in 2017. While studies showed higher growth rates in total Medicaid spending (federal, state, and local) following initial expansion implementation in 2014 and 2015, this growth rate slowed significantly in 2016

https://www.kff.org/medicaid/issue-brief/the-effects-of-medicaid-expansion-under-the-aca-updated-findings-from-a-literature-review-march-2018/

In this economy, anyone who is able-bodied should be working. It’s unclear why I should have to pay for others to receive free or subsidized health care. If someone is disabled and legitimately unable to work, fine. For kids whose parents are deadbeats or just don’t make enough to get them covered, fine. But for the rest, they should be paying for their health care needs themselves.

• Plus1 1

22 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

In this economy, anyone who is able-bodied should be working. It’s unclear why I should have to pay for others to receive free or subsidized health care. If someone is disabled and legitimately unable to work, fine. For kids whose parents are deadbeats or just don’t make enough to get them covered, fine. But for the rest, they should be paying for their health care needs themselves.

i've never had a fire and own a garden hose so why should i have to pay for the fire department?

• Plus1 1
14 minutes ago, commando said:

i've never had a fire and own a garden hose so why should i have to pay for the fire department?

I’ve never not had a job and worked hard. Sonce becoming an adult, I’ve always paid for my own medical care.

Medicaid is insurance, which should be designed to protect kids, the disabled, etc. Instead, it’s being used to subsidize sloth. 

#SAD

• Plus1 1
1 hour ago, Ric Flair said:

I’ve never not had a job and worked hard. Sonce becoming an adult, I’ve always paid for my own medical care.

Medicaid is insurance, which should be designed to protect kids, the disabled, etc. Instead, it’s being used to subsidize sloth. 

#SAD

It's being used so those of less means can have healthcare.

32 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

Those of less means should work harder, get better jobs, make better life decisions, etc. so they don’t constantly have to freeload off the rest of us.

I was in the category they are talking about for a couple years. I was working 25-30 hours per week while going to college full-time as an independent student. Medicaid wasn't available to me because Nebraska hadn't expanded it, but I was on food stamps and it helped me get by. I'm now making plenty. We all use things that taxes pay for, which makes you a free loader compared to anyone who makes more money than you.

• Plus1 1
1 minute ago, Moiraine said:

I was in the category they are talking about for a couple years. I was working 25-30 hours per week while going to college full-time. Medicaid wasn't available to me because Nebarska hadn't expanded it, but I was on food stamps and it helped. I'm now making plenty. We all use things that taxes pay for, which makes you a free loader compared to anyone who makes more money than you.

Most colleges have student health services available for students. 

I pay far far more than my share. And the list of things I’m supposed to pay for for others just keeps growing longer and longer.

• Thanks 1
1 minute ago, Ric Flair said:

Most colleges have student health services available for students. 

I pay far far more than my share. And the list of things I’m supposed to pay for for others just keeps growing longer and longer.

Student health services cost money. I was charged for every student health service I used. Just like at a regular clinic.

You are a free loader to anyone who makes more money than you, and unless being a professor is a hobby for you, that list includes a lot of people.

2 minutes ago, Moiraine said:

Student health services cost money. I was charged for every student health service I used. Just like at a regular clinic.

You are a free loader to anyone who makes more money than you, and unless being a professor is a hobby for you, that list includes a lot of people.

I worked my way through school and paid my own bills. But student health services were free and included with tuition.

Teaching is a part-time gig for me. But I think you underestimate how much professors make.

And your understanding of how basic finance works is off. Anyone who contributes less than they take is a freeloader. 

• Thanks 1