Medicaid expansion on Nebraska ballot

17 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

I worked my way through school and paid my own bills. But student health services were free and included with tuition.

Teaching is a part-time gig for me. But I think you underestimate how much professors make.

And your understanding of how basic finance works is off. Anyone who contributes less than they take is a freeloader. 

It wasn't free when I went to school, and I know the University of Nebraska system full professors were making $105-110K about 5 years ago. It's available online. I know many of them do outside work especially if they have expertise in a field that has a lot of research that needs conducting.

Anyone who is paying less taxes than someone else is benefiting more from taxes than someone else and is uses services that someone else put more money into and is therefore a freeloader. I'm actually going more with your definition than the real definition (which I don't agree with), since the people you are describing do pay taxes. I'm just turning your definition on you. Also, you can't really calculate exactly how much you're taking. How much are you taking from the highways you drive on?

• Plus1 1

1 hour ago, Moiraine said:

It wasn't free when I went to school, and I know the University of Nebraska system full professors were making $105-110K about 5 years ago. It's available online. I know many of them do outside work especially if they have expertise in a field that has a lot of research that needs conducting.

Anyone who is paying less taxes than someone else is benefiting more from taxes than someone else and is uses services that someone else put more money into and is therefore a freeloader. I'm actually going more with your definition than the real definition (which I don't agree with), since the people you are describing do pay taxes. I'm just turning your definition on you. Also, you can't really calculate exactly how much you're taking. How much are you taking from the highways you drive on?

Anyone who benefits more than he contributes is a freeloader. Your 'definition' makes no sense whatsoever.

• Plus1 1
6 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

Anyone who benefits more than he contributes is a freeloader. Your 'definition' makes no sense whatsoever.

It's your definition, based on your first comment about freeloaders. The people you are talking about pay taxes. By your definition, you're a freeloader, since you use things paid for with taxes and some people pay more for them than you do. It's your definition.

• Plus1 3
  • Fire 1

4 hours ago, Moiraine said:

It's your definition, based on your first comment about freeloaders. The people you are talking about pay taxes. By your definition, you're a freeloader, since you use things paid for with taxes and some people pay more for them than you do. It's your definition.

That’s simply untrue and shows a complete lack of understanding of what I’m even talking about.

Let’s say you and nine other people get together for drinks. You each have the same number of drinks and they cost the same. The total bill is $100. A friend of yours pays $80. You pay $20. The rest beg off paying, with a variety of excuses. You’re not a deadbeat, when you paid $20 for $10 worth of drinks...you paid more than your share. The fact someone else paid $80 just means he’s even more screwed by the system than you are.

This really isn’t that difficult of a concept to grasp. It’s abundantly clear who the deadbeats are. You just don’t want to admit it because then you’d have to justify it. 

And holy crap does this board need more conservatives. It’s about as ideologically diverse as a Bernie Sanders fundraiser.

• Plus1 1
31 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

That’s simply untrue and shows a complete lack of understanding of what I’m even talking about.

Let’s say you and nine other people get together for drinks. You each have the same number of drinks and they cost the same. The total bill is $100. A friend of yours pays $80. You pay $20. The rest beg off paying, with a variety of excuses. You’re not a deadbeat, when you paid $20 for $10 worth of drinks...you paid more than your share. The fact someone else paid $80 just means he’s even more screwed by the system than you are.

This really isn’t that difficult of a concept to grasp. It’s abundantly clear who the deadbeats are. You just don’t want to admit it because then you’d have to justify it. 

And holy crap does this board need more conservatives. It’s about as ideologically diverse as a Bernie Sanders fundraiser.

You're the one who completely lacks understanding. Here's the real table. Everyone at the table chipped in for the bill. That's the reality you continue to ignore. You likely paid around $5 and a few super rich maybe paid $20 each. Maybe the rest paid $1-$4. By your definition, you are a freeloader. Just not quite as much of one as the people who paid $1-$4. You aren't on medicaid, but there are things you use more than others that are funded by taxes. Most people never have to have a fire put out at their house. The ones that do and aren't at the very top in income/wealth are all freeloaders by your definition. That's what makes it a silly thing to say about people who need medicaid. And many of those people get their feet under them and become people who can pay $5 or even more.

• Plus1 1
Just now, Moiraine said:

You're the one who completely lacks understanding. Here's the real table. Everyone at the table chipped in for the bill. That's the reality you continue to ignore. You likely paid around $5 and a few super rich maybe paid $20 each. Maybe the rest paid $1-$4. By your definition, you are a freeloader. Just not quite as much of one as the people who paid $1-$4. You aren't on medicaid, but there are things you use more than others that are funded by taxes. Most people never have to have a fire put out at their house. The ones that do and aren't at the very top in income/wealth are all freeloaders by your definition. That's what makes it a silly thing to say about people who need medicaid. And many of those people get their feet under them and become people who can pay $5 or even more.

THOSE WHO PAY MORE THAN THE VALUE OF THEIR DRINKS ARE NOT FREELOADERS. THOSE WHO PAID LESS THAN THE VALUE OF THEIR DRINKS ARE.

IT’S REALLY QUITE SIMPLE. THOSE WHO ASK OR FORCE OTHERS TO PAY FOR THEIR BILLS ARE DEADBEATS.

• Plus1 1
7 hours ago, Moiraine said:

I was in the category they are talking about for a couple years. I was working 25-30 hours per week while going to college full-time as an independent student. Medicaid wasn't available to me because Nebraska hadn't expanded it, but I was on food stamps and it helped me get by. I'm now making plenty. We all use things that taxes pay for, which makes you a free loader compared to anyone who makes more money than you.

Wow. You were able bodied and still on food stamps? Worthless freeloader no good dead beat sloth. You should just be working harder.

• Plus1 1

22 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

THOSE WHO PAY MORE THAN THE VALUE OF THEIR DRINKS ARE NOT FREELOADERS. THOSE WHO PAID LESS THAN THE VALUE OF THEIR DRINKS ARE.

IT’S REALLY QUITE SIMPLE. THOSE WHO ASK OR FORCE OTHERS TO PAY FOR THEIR BILLS ARE DEADBEATS.

Freeloader to you was someone who received medicaid. You don't know what other benefits they get from taxes. You also don't know the dollar value of the benefit you receive from things paid for with taxes. You say you pay more than you receive, but you don't know that. The fact it's so hard to quantify is why the argument over taxes will exist forever.

You ask/force others to pay for the roads you drive on, because you are paying less for the roads than at least 1 other person, probably tens of thousands of other people. What's the $ value for you of being able to drive on roads? People who receive medicaid are paying for medicaid, just less than most people.

• Plus1 2
7 hours ago, Ric Flair said:

Maybe we should help them find better jobs, finish school, make better decisions, and become self-sufficient.

It's a little hard to square this with the policies of the modern day GOP. They don't really have policies that support this kind of stuff. They just want to cut taxes, impose work requirements for things like Medicaid and food stamps and outright strip or prevent people from getting healthcare where they can.

Then you've got Betsy DeVos bending over backward to serve the whims of the loan servicers at the expense of the students.

They don't even practice the personal responsibility they herald. They promise fiscal responsibility until they get to Washington, where they decide it's more fun to cut taxes and spend freely (except on poor people!) until the joyride is over and they can go back to blaming economic woes on a Democrat.

Really they're just a detestable bunch of reverse Robin Hoods.

• Plus1 3
6 hours ago, Ric Flair said:

Let’s start with those who pay no federal income tax...or who gets ‘credits’ for taxes they don’t ever pay, which are simply handouts.

like some of the largest corporations out there who paid nothing even before this huge tax break?

• Plus1 2
15 hours ago, Ric Flair said:

In this economy, anyone who is able-bodied should be working. It’s unclear why I should have to pay for others to receive free or subsidized health care. If someone is disabled and legitimately unable to work, fine. For kids whose parents are deadbeats or just don’t make enough to get them covered, fine. But for the rest, they should be paying for their health care needs themselves.

So on this specific bill. You're not willing to pay 8$ more annually (high end estimation) to help ensure all nebraskans have some form of health care? Seems like a little to give and would help alot. Instead of blanketing all of these things as 'government handouts of my hard earned money' you could look at things on a case by case basis and and realize sometimes its ok to help people, and it doesn't really affect you to do so.

• Plus1 3