Medicaid expansion on Nebraska ballot

15 hours ago, Ric Flair said:

Those of less means should work harder, get better jobs, make better life decisions, etc. so they don’t constantly have to freeload off the rest of us.

I have 2 friends who has been without a job for 9+ months.  One has a masters degree in sociology the other a bachelor in some IT field.  Both send out multiple resumes weekly.  Both keep getting passed over for jobs, even jobs well beneath their skill levels.   Knowing them both, and the type of people they are, it blows my mind that neither can find work.   I can only surmise they suck at interviews. Luckily one is married and is able to be on his wife's insurance.   The other is not married and is on medicaid.  And if it wasn't for medicaid, he would not be able to get his diabetes meds.    These aren't free-loaders, these aren't people with serious criminal records, they both have minor traffic offenses and one has a DWI from 15 years ago.   These guys want jobs in their respective fields, and I for one I'm disappointed that others would categories both of them as free loaders trying to game the system.   I've talked to them both about 'settling' for a job at a grocery store or fast food etc.  Both of have told me basically the same thing, it's not worth it to give up family time, kids events, spending time with them in the evening and weekends and being no better off pay wise than being on unemployment.   They gain nothing by working one of these jobs, it's break-even money wise for one, it's actually a decrease money wise for the other if he were to get a entry level job and pay for insurance and they lose time with their family and this type of job will not give them any more incentive than they have now to find a job in their field.

• Plus1 7

The glaring problem with the dinner analogy is the set value for the cost of the items.

What is the cost of not dying in a fire? I would guess it’s about equal for each person. That means whatever the cost of the fire departments, you divide it equally. That means anyone who is paying below the average amount of tax paid per adult for the fire department is a “freeloader.” Since average incomes and wealth are skewed high there are a lot of people below that average. Now if you want to fix that, everyone could pay the same $ amount in taxes, but then you would live in a country that’s a steaming pile of s#!t.

1 hour ago, sho said:

I have 2 friends who has been without a job for 9+ months.  One has a masters degree in sociology the other a bachelor in some IT field.  Both send out multiple resumes weekly.  Both keep getting passed over for jobs, even jobs well beneath their skill levels.   Knowing them both, and the type of people they are, it blows my mind that neither can find work.   I can only surmise they suck at interviews. Luckily one is married and is able to be on his wife's insurance.   The other is not married and is on medicaid.  And if it wasn't for medicaid, he would not be able to get his diabetes meds.    These aren't free-loaders, these aren't people with serious criminal records, they both have minor traffic offenses and one has a DWI from 15 years ago.   These guys want jobs in their respective fields, and I for one I'm disappointed that others would categories both of them as free loaders trying to game the system.   I've talked to them both about 'settling' for a job at a grocery store or fast food etc.  Both of have told me basically the same thing, it's not worth it to give up family time, kids events, spending time with them in the evening and weekends and being no better off pay wise than being on unemployment.   They gain nothing by working one of these jobs, it's break-even money wise for one, it's actually a decrease money wise for the other if he were to get a entry level job and pay for insurance and they lose time with their family and this type of job will not give them any more incentive than they have now to find a job in their field.

Good post.  I know there are people caught in this also.

My thought on the "grocery store or fast food job" is this.  You go start work at a grocery store.  Sure, at first it's no different financially.  But, you have your foot in the door.  What if you're working there and the company all of a sudden needs an IT guy?  Many times a company would rather move someone up in the company because they already know he is a good worker and knows the company.

I know a guy that worked at a warehouse.  He got to know the inventory software better than anyone in the company.  The software supplier actually hired him as a salesman and he now has a great job.

Sometimes you have to take a lower level job to ultimately get the better job.

It's a tough situation though and people need to make decisions that's best for them.

18 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

Good post.  I know there are people caught in this also.

My thought on the "grocery store or fast food job" is this.  You go start work at a grocery store.  Sure, at first it's no different financially.  But, you have your foot in the door.  What if you're working there and the company all of a sudden needs an IT guy?  Many times a company would rather move someone up in the company because they already know he is a good worker and knows the company.

I know a guy that worked at a warehouse.  He got to know the inventory software better than anyone in the company.  The software supplier actually hired him as a salesman and he now has a great job.

Sometimes you have to take a lower level job to ultimately get the better job.

It's a tough situation though and people need to make decisions that's best for them.

That's a good point BRB about growing in the company.  Especially with their degrees.   I know both of them have tried that with M-F 8-5 jobs applying for basically entry level work in their respective fields, and have been deemed 'over qualified' and passed over because the company felt they wouldn't stay long enough because the job was 'beneath' them, I know for awhile, one was using an agency, and that was the feedback given.   As for grocery store/fast food/retail etc.  I know right now neither wants to give up nights/weekends because of family obligations, I don't know when the non-married one's unemployment benefits run out, but I'm sure once that does, that will be his next route.   

1 minute ago, sho said:

That's a good point BRB about growing in the company.  Especially with their degrees.   I know both of them have tried that with M-F 8-5 jobs applying for basically entry level work in their respective fields, and have been deemed 'over qualified' and passed over because the company felt they wouldn't stay long enough because the job was 'beneath' them, I know for awhile, one was using an agency, and that was the feedback given.   As for grocery store/fast food/retail etc.  I know right now neither wants to give up nights/weekends because of family obligations, I don't know when the non-married one's unemployment benefits run out, but I'm sure once that does, that will be his next route.   

Are either willing to move?

Sometimes people get stuck in thinking they have to find a job within their geographical area and don't consider the fact that a job may be open in another part of the country or state.

1 hour ago, BigRedBuster said:

Sometimes people get stuck in thinking they have to find a job within their geographical area and don't consider the fact that a job may be open in another part of the country or state.

Yeah this is a good point BRB. These slothy freeloaders should stop leeching off my hard earned dollar and instead uproot their entire lives, move away from their families and their familiar communities so they can go make entry level salary in Idaho. Lazy good for nothings.

/s

Just now, Landlord said:

Yeah this is a good point BRB. These slothy freeloaders should stop leeching off my hard earned dollar and instead uproot their entire lives, move away from their families and their familiar communities so they can go make entry level salary in Idaho. Lazy good for nothings.

/s

WTF Dude....?

Nothing I said indicated anything of the kind.  Maybe there is a job somewhere else that IS at the level they are looking for?

Why did you jump to the ultimate bad assumption from what I posted?

1 minute ago, BigRedBuster said:

WTF Dude....?

Nothing I said indicated anything of the kind.  Maybe there is a job somewhere else that IS at the level they are looking for?

Why did you jump to the ultimate bad assumption from what I posted?

I wasn't jumping to any assumption of what you posted at all, sorry I see it coming across that way now. It's just unreal to me the lack of empathy of some others in this thread who seem incapable of seeing other struggling human beings as anything more than a blight infecting our society.

You're obviously helpful and considerate of others and have good, thoughtful ideas. One of the good ones.

4 hours ago, sho said:

In this economy, it is incredibly easy to find work. PM me their resumes if you want, and I'll try to help.

• Thanks 1
3 hours ago, Moiraine said:

The glaring problem with the dinner analogy is the set value for the cost of the items.

What is the cost of not dying in a fire? I would guess it’s about equal for each person. That means whatever the cost of the fire departments, you divide it equally. That means anyone who is paying below the average amount of tax paid per adult for the fire department is a “freeloader.” Since average incomes and wealth are skewed high there are a lot of people below that average. Now if you want to fix that, everyone could pay the same $ amount in taxes, but then you would live in a country that’s a steaming pile of s#!t.

You're still failing to understand the analogy. Oh well.

• Plus1 1

11 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

You're still failing to understand the analogy. Oh well.

I do understand it. You’re saying anyone who pays less than the average amount of taxes is a freeloader, which is silly. Those are the people who are paying less than what they are getting back in return. I would guess that’s over 70% of the poulation based on the skewness of income and wealth.

• Plus1 1
3 hours ago, BigRedBuster said:

I've never directly asked either one.   Both have kids in HS, one is divorced.   For the one that is single, speaking just of my thoughts, there's a very slim chance I would ever move away from my kids until they were on their own, A--I want to see and spend as much time as I can with my kids, and B--I don't want to put the entire stress of raising the kids mostly on my ex.  We 50/50 custody, and while we cherish the time we have, and would both want more, we both need that time away to recharge.   Plus moving while the kids are in HS is tough on them, and before too much longer, it'll be the aging parents that will be keeping them close.  The other, his wife, luckily, has a great career and job that I can't imagine they'd want to relocate at this time either.  I'm sure, both of them would have considered it 15 years ago, before kids and might consider it in about 5 years when kids are in college, but I can't envision them moving at this stage.

@Ric Flair  I can talk to them about it, not sure how they would feel about giving out resumes to randoms on a message board.   I know it's not that much different to randoms at companies, but it just feels different.  But I'll ask them if they are comfortable with that.

As for Medicaid. (since that's what this thread is about).

I would be interested in seeing a study on how would Nebraska be different financially if we had expanded medicaid?

Would have my taxes gone up?  How much?

Would have the federal money actually saved Nebraska money so we would be in better financial shape?

Just now, BigRedBuster said:

As for Medicaid. (since that's what this thread is about).

I would be interested in seeing a study on how would Nebraska be different financially if we had expanded medicaid?

Would have my taxes gone up?  How much?

Would have the federal money actually saved Nebraska money so we would be in better financial shape?

The format of my 2nd post was awful ‘cause I was on my phone but if you click the link it’s pretty informative. It says many states underestimated the # who enrolled but that it still ended up being a good thing. But that was thru 2016 and now the states are paying 6% of the cost.

3 hours ago, Moiraine said:

The format of my 2nd post was awful ‘cause I was on my phone but if you click the link it’s pretty informative. It says many states underestimated the # who enrolled but that it still ended up being a good thing. But that was thru 2016 and now the states are paying 6% of the cost.

IIRC the reason it was such a good deal was because the federal government footed the bill for those states that chose to expand Medicaid almost entirely - meaning states could essentially expand coverage to their uncovered Medicaid populations for free. 

Even now that states are footing part of the bill, 6% is still mighty generous. 

By comparison, states that don't expand Medicaid still wind up footing the bill for healthcare costs when the uninsured can't put off care and show up at an ED or an urgent care clinic. But a lot of the time those people just can't afford to pay when the bill comes due, so they probably put it off as long as possible until they have to file for bankruptcy. I don't know if healthcare providers & facilities wind up just writing off those losses or what the economic effects are. But another negative effect is that a high uninsured population leads to people putting off getting care until they absolutely need it, which means they don't get to participate in preventative care or other early interventions that can prevent a little thing from progressing to a big, much more expensive condition. That is awful in and of itself. 

I'd think it would be better for states to pay a little bit more and take advantage of the great deal of federal money sitting out there for the taking and avoid all this crap.

• Plus1 1