Medicaid expansion on Nebraska ballot

4 hours ago, Moiraine said:

I do understand it. You’re saying anyone who pays less than the average amount of taxes is a freeloader, which is silly. Those are the people who are paying less than what they are getting back in return. I would guess that’s over 70% of the poulation based on the skewness of income and wealth.

No, I’m saying that anyone who pays less than the costs of the services he receives is a freeloader. It’s not at all complicated. The freeloaders are easy enough to identify. Just go to a Democratic rally.

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 1

4 minutes ago, Clifford Franklin said:

IIRC the reason it was such a good deal was because the federal government footed the bill for those states that chose to expand Medicaid almost entirely - meaning states could essentially expand coverage to their uncovered Medicaid populations for free. 

Even now that states are footing part of the bill, 6% is still mighty generous. 

By comparison, states that don't expand Medicaid still wind up footing the bill for healthcare costs when the uninsured can't put off care and show up at an ED or an urgent care clinic. But a lot of the time those people just can't afford to pay when the bill comes due, so they probably put it off as long as possible until they have to file for bankruptcy. I don't know if healthcare providers & facilities wind up just writing off those losses or what the economic effects are. But another negative effect is that a high uninsured population leads to people putting off getting care until they absolutely need it, which means they don't get to participate in preventative care or other early interventions that can prevent a little thing from progressing to a big, much more expensive condition. That is awful in and of itself. 

I'd think it would be better for states to pay a little bit more and take advantage of the great deal of federal money sitting out there for the taking and avoid all this crap.

It’s not free since people in all states pay federal taxes, but for a state like Nebraska in the bottom half of those payments, it makes sense to take advantage of it. It’s just a tiny amount of $ per capita in Nebraska to help people right here who really need it. But I suppose they are clearly all lazy bums so I guess it’s cool if they die.

• Plus1 1

Yeah, because if you withdraw handouts, slackers will die. Typical liberal nonsense. 

Withdrawing handouts would likely motivate people to work harder, finish school, make better life decisions, etc. Able-bodied adults should be working and paying their own bills. There are presently more jobs available than people to fill them. There’s simply no excuse for freeloading.

• Plus1 1
28 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

No, I’m saying that anyone who pays less than the costs of the services he receives is a freeloader.

That is literally exactly what I just said in the post you quoted. The fire department is arguably worth the same to each person when it comes to saving their lives in their homes. So the worth of the fire department is the total cost divided by the # of people. That means, using simple math, anyone who pays below the average tax payment that goes to the fire department is a “freeloader” by your definition.

Let’s say the fire department costs $100,000 a month and there are 100 adults. That’s $1,000 per adult.

$25,000 worth of Bill Gates’ taxes go toward the fire department. 5 other people pay $5,000 each. 14 more people pay $900 each. The remaining 80 people each pay $467.50.

94% of these people are “freeloaders” by your definition because they pay less than the average tax payment toward the fire department.

This is the argument you made with your dinner analogy. The difference is everyone is paying $ and a huge % of people are “freeloaders” like in the real world. That is the part that bothers you so you’re saying no just to say no.

23 minutes ago, Moiraine said:

That is literally exactly what I just said in the post you quoted. The fire department is arguably worth the same to each person when it comes to saving their lives in their homes. So the worth of the fire department is the total cost divided by the # of people. That means, using simple math, anyone who pays below the average tax payment that goes to the fire department is a “freeloader” by your definition.

Let’s say the fire department costs $100,000 a month and there are 100 adults. That’s $1,000 per adult.

$25,000 worth of Bill Gates’ taxes go toward the fire department. 5 other people pay $5,000 each. 14 more people pay $900 each. The remaining 80 people each pay $467.50.

94% of these people are “freeloaders” by your definition because they pay less than the average tax payment toward the fire department.

This is the argument you made with your dinner analogy. The difference is everyone is paying $ and a huge % of people are “freeloaders” like in the real world. That is the part that bothers you so you’re saying no just to say no.

The difference is that in the real world, most people are not freeloaders... Most people pay their own bills. Freeloaders try to make someone else pay for theirs.

• Plus1 1

22 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

The difference is that in the real world, most people are not freeloaders... Most people pay their own bills. Freeloaders try to make someone else pay for theirs.

Anyone who gets the average benefit or more (which is the same in the fire department example when it comes to the fire dept existing to save lives) and pays less than the average into taxes is a freeloader by your definition. If you want to change your definition feel free.

I would guess the more $ you have the more you benefit from the police department, and if you’re one of the vast majority paying below average taxes, you’re a “freeloader.”

1 hour ago, Ric Flair said:

No, I’m saying that anyone who pays less than the costs of the services he receives is a freeloader. It’s not at all complicated. The freeloaders are easy enough to identify. Just go to a Democratic rally.

So, anyone who receives more benefit than they pay in is a freeloader. 

Is is that the standard you’re going with?

1 hour ago, BigRedBuster said:

So, anyone who receives more benefit than they pay in is a freeloader. 

Is is that the standard you’re going with?

Well there's going to be quite a few freeloaders once the farming bailout checks start coming