What Did We Learn? Purdue

Waldo

The staff has masterfully hidden the fact that AM struggles to play pitch and catch. He will get there eventually, but right now they are scheming his throws. The offense this year really needed someone who can play pitch and catch, as opposed to being a runner first. When you have to scheme your throws, the passing game becomes completely dependent on other factors. If you want to know why Frost had a frog in his throat during the presser where Gebbia left, it was that reason. He knew that this part of his O might struggle, and Gebbia gave him a chance to have that. 

I learned this is gonna be a long season.  Also just questioning the whole mentality of this team.  They seem to be just going through the motions, not really grasping what it is exactly they should be doing.  

I sit on the west side so I see the husker bench through the whole game.  I'm really sick of that group of special teamers or offense, can't really figure out who is exactly, that always jumps and dances around during each kickoff.  I'd be okay with it if things were going well, but why the hell are you jumping around when the team is losing, and it's always the other team kicking off after another touchdown. If I was Frost I would shut that down immediately.  But it's disturbing the tendencies that have been shown even though it's only been 4 games. Next week could be real ugly.

9 minutes ago, huskerfan74 said:

Nothing we did not already know...we suck mightily in special teams play and we LOVE getting penalized. In fact, this team can be characterized be being sadistic in its nature.

To the bolded word: I think contextually, using the word masochistic would have been a much better fit.

To the point of this thread:

*We're cutting down on turnovers...only went -1.

*The offense is getting better.

*For a "blitzing and attacking" defense, we're doing neither.

*Too many blown coverages on defense.

Some of the penalties called on Nebraska were obviously the right call.  You can't hit a player out of bounds.  However, at least half of our penalties were absolutely chicken-s#!t, pathetic, ticky-tack calls.  Purdue's OL and DBs were grabbing and holding our DL and WR's all game long and. Purdue's WRs were constantly pushing off, and in all cases, not a single flag was thrown.  I also don't like blamimg referees, but the calls are so one sided I question the integrity of Big 10 officiating.  Referees will penalize Nebraska for things that they let every other team get away with.  I mean at this point, the proof is indisputable.  I am not sure how Coach Frost is going to fix this.  Referees are just looking for an excuse to penalize us.  And if they can't see a real penalty to call, they'll make one up.

So here is the biggest thing I have learned, Nebraska has to not only defeat our opponent, but they have to defeat the referees also.  The refs are on the side of who ever our opponent is.

On offense, this game against Purdue we showed more consistent life, than any other game.  We had a fantastic opening drive then a snoozer 2nd Q, but showed some explosive potential through the 2nd half.

In another post, someone asked if Frost regrets coming here. I strongly believe that he does not regret coming back to Nebraska but I am confident he regrets saying that the BIG will have to adjust to playing Nebraska style football. Those comments were taken very seriously and I believe that the BIG coaches and refs are on a mission to make him eat his words.

• Plus1 1

11 minutes ago, huskerfan74 said:

In another post, someone asked if Frost regrets coming here. I strongly believe that he does not regret coming back to Nebraska but I am confident he regrets saying that the BIG will have to adjust to playing Nebraska style football. Those comments were taken very seriously and I believe that the BIG coaches and refs are on a mission to make him eat his words.

To be fair to Frost he said he HOPED the B1G would have to adjust