What Did We Learn? Purdue

Waldo

Since we joined the Big 10 we haven't recruited Big 10 level talent.  We don't have bulldozers up front on either side of the ball and we don't have physical specimens as linebackers.  We just haven't recruited well enough to compete with PSU, OSU, Wisky, or Michigan.  Wasn't much different in the Big 12 either.  We didn't have the athletes that OU and Texas usually had.

Everything starts with recruiting, and it always has.  If we can't get more and better recruits to come to Lincoln, no matter who coaches this team, they won't win more than 8-9 games a season.  Past suggests that, now we have to listen and learn.  Riley recruited California kids to play Big 10 football.  Not all are incapable of playing in the Big 10, but do they really want to play Big 10 football?

I am not just talking about having stars next to your name as a recruit.  I am talking about recruiting player that want to improve and those who love this team and its coaches.  The one thing that UCF players all had, was a love for this coaching staff and they would run thru a wall for them.  This current group of players here, they don't seem willing to do so just yet.

• Plus1 1

I don’t blame the penalties on Frost, as he said in the press conference they are drilling players over and over on the right way to do things it’s up to the players to keep their heads in the Game and play smart . Some of them just aren’t doing that . Benching players may help in some instances but Frost also made the point of depth issues at many positions and if they had other players to go to they would already be doing that . 

Bottom line to me is that there are bright spots and good players on both sides of the ball and I think we played well enough to win a few of the games we lost (Frost said that too )  . We just are not good enough to overcome all the penalties,turnovers, and mistakes . If they can put together a mistake free 4 quarters of football I still think we can beat some of the teams left on our schedule . I still believe we have the right coaching staff and a few solid playmakers we can compete if we don’t beat ourselves . 

• Plus1 3

There was one penalty that made me wish I could slap the player silly to make him understand how dumb his actions were. The one I am talking about is when we were trying to stop them on third down and our defender pushes Blough about 5 seconds after he has released the ball...dumbest penalty ever. If I were Frost, I would make that player watch that play about 1000 times over and over again until he gets how dumb tat was. I really think that Frost needs to revert to some extreme measures to get these guys to learn that dumb penalties have to stop or else they lose playing time.

19 minutes ago, Nebhawk said:

Since we joined the Big 10 we haven't recruited Big 10 level talent.  We don't have bulldozers up front on either side of the ball and we don't have physical specimens as linebackers.  We just haven't recruited well enough to compete with PSU, OSU, Wisky, or Michigan.  Wasn't much different in the Big 12 either.  We didn't have the athletes that OU and Texas usually had.

Everything starts with recruiting, and it always has.  If we can't get more and better recruits to come to Lincoln, no matter who coaches this team, they won't win more than 8-9 games a season.  Past suggests that, now we have to listen and learn.  Riley recruited California kids to play Big 10 football.  Not all are incapable of playing in the Big 10, but do they really want to play Big 10 football?

I am not just talking about having stars next to your name as a recruit.  I am talking about recruiting player that want to improve and those who love this team and its coaches.  The one thing that UCF players all had, was a love for this coaching staff and they would run thru a wall for them.  This current group of players here, they don't seem willing to do so just yet.

well which is it? recruiting stars athletes or players that love playing? we had plenty of California guys in the 90's and never broke into the top ten in recruiting but still won- BTW winning 8-9 games doesn't sound too bad right now

• Plus1 1