Big Day For Ozigbo

Hayseed

On 9/30/2018 at 6:22 PM, KingBlank said:

You mean like the multiple tackles he broke, the fact that ge was running people over, he concussed a guy by smoking him.   He needed more carries, more opportunities, you can't just go away from someone who is literally running over a defense. 

Considering the first guy to touch him brought him down on basically every run he had, I think this is a complete fabrication.

• Fire 1
42 minutes ago, Mavric said:

Considering the first guy to touch him brought him down on basically every run he had, I think this is a complete fabrication.

McKewon has always commented about Ozigbo that he’s easier to tackle in the first 5 yards than he is downfield. Oz is pretty good in open space when he can get the big body moving forward. Where he struggles most is getting going and finding a hole if it’s not there initially. 

1 minute ago, ColoradoHusk said:

McKewon has always commented about Ozigbo that he’s easier to tackle in the first 5 yards than he is downfield. Oz is pretty good in open space when he can get the big body moving forward. Where he struggles most is getting going and finding a hole if it’s not there initially. 

I guess I'm not really all that sure he's that tough to tackle anywhere.  He usually gets a couple extra yards after he gets hit which is good.  But he doesn't break very many tackles for a guy that big and definitely doesn't make many people miss.

8 hours ago, ColoradoHusk said:

He's a lot like Imani Cross, but better.  

9 hours ago, Mavric said:

i guess Scott missed that result during practice last week?........started him anyway.  hard to argue that 17-170 was not as productive as some would like?

30 minutes ago, Hunter94 said:

i guess Scott missed that result during practice last week?........started him anyway.  hard to argue that 17-170 was not as productive as some would like?

He did a nice job.  But he's more of a high-floor, low-ceiling guy.  He does most things very solid.  But he doesn't do anything really great.

I think a lot of the workload this week had to do with what was missing from practice as opposed to Frost missing anything.  As in, Washington was missing from practice.  Not sure what the deal was with Bell.  Given that he had consistently out-performed Ozigbo in other games, in inclined to think that he was also somewhat sick - there were reports of several guys being sick during the week - or banged up a bit.  I guess we'll see how the distribution looks this week.

17 for 170 is great.  But considering there were almost no yards after contact, I think the offensive line should get a huge chunk of credit for that.  But people have themselves convinced that the line sucks so they don't want to do that.

52 minutes ago, Mavric said:

He did a nice job.  But he's more of a high-floor, low-ceiling guy.  He does most things very solid.  But he doesn't do anything really great.

I think a lot of the workload this week had to do with what was missing from practice as opposed to Frost missing anything.  As in, Washington was missing from practice.  Not sure what the deal was with Bell.  Given that he had consistently out-performed Ozigbo in other games, in inclined to think that he was also somewhat sick - there were reports of several guys being sick during the week - or banged up a bit.  I guess we'll see how the distribution looks this week.

17 for 170 is great.  But considering there were almost no yards after contact, I think the offensive line should get a huge chunk of credit for that.  But people have themselves convinced that the line sucks so they don't want to do that.

That and play design. He made big yardage running right by a DE locked in on #2 many a time against Purdue. These plays make it easy for the OL to seal off guys inside and make big lanes for the RB. Imagine if Washington was in on a few of those and executed up the middle...

7 minutes ago, Nebfanatic said:

That and play design. He made big yardage running right by a DE locked in on #2 many a time against Purdue. These plays make it easy for the OL to seal off guys inside and make big lanes for the RB. Imagine if Washington was in on a few of those and executed up the middle...

I was going to say scheme as well but I thought then people would accuse me of not giving Oz ANY credit.  :)

• Plus1 2
1 minute ago, Mavric said:

I was going to say scheme as well but I thought then people would accuse me of not giving Oz ANY credit.  :)

:lol::thumbs That said, he gives you exactly what you mentioned. He will do what he is supposed to and has good quickness 0-10. He is going to be solid on any occasion especially in this scheme if Martinez is at QB.

1 hour ago, Mavric said:

But considering there were almost no yards after contact, I think the offensive line should get a huge chunk of credit for that.  But people have themselves convinced that the line sucks so they don't want to do that.

I think the bolded is pretty accurate for the most part.

We've played four games. Against Colorado and Purdue the run blocking was probably in the neighborhood of "good" to "great."

Troy stacked the box and in my opinion Frosty didn't do a super great job of working the ball outside to punish them for the blitz but instead called a lot of vanilla inside zone. A good chunk of that game looked like a Riley running scheme; asking our I-Back to plow into a mixing bowl of big sweaty bodies (many of which were our own). 

Against Michigan the pass blocking was like, as bad as it could probably be. Run blocking was basically at that level too but the team had given up prior to halftime so I suppose I'm throwing that one out. 

At any rate, Ozigbo has improved this season and is pretty good at finding holes. In my opinion he's been better at finding holes than Bell. But I really want to see Washington back in there healthy - his trajectory is going to be pretty great I think.

• Plus1 1
1 hour ago, Mavric said:

You think Bell has been the better back this season?  I've been much more impressed with Ozigbo, personally.  Bell has been a bit...underwhelming IMO, especially with all the positive reports about him in practice and how highly touted he was coming in.

8 minutes ago, RedSavage said:

You think Bell has been the better back this season?  I've been much more impressed with Ozigbo, personally.  Bell has been a bit...underwhelming IMO, especially with all the positive reports about him in practice and how highly touted he was coming in.

Colorado

Ozigbo - 14 carries, 60 yards, 4.3 ypc

Bell - 13 carries, 104 yards, 8.0 ypc

Troy

Ozigbo - 9 carries, 25 yards, 2.8 ypc

Bell - 14 carries, 64 yards, 4.6 ypc

Michigan

Everyone sucked, but those two were almost exacltly even.

So, yes, I think Bell has been the better back.  And it's really not all that close.

45 minutes ago, Mavric said:

Colorado

Ozigbo - 14 carries, 60 yards, 4.3 ypc

Bell - 13 carries, 104 yards, 8.0 ypc

Troy

Ozigbo - 9 carries, 25 yards, 2.8 ypc

Bell - 14 carries, 64 yards, 4.6 ypc

Michigan

Everyone sucked, but those two were almost exacltly even.

So, yes, I think Bell has been the better back.  And it's really not all that close.

Bell has had some long runs that skew those stats, that IMO, Ozigbo would've done just as well on had he been the back that was in on those plays.  Stats aside, Ozigbo has looked much more impressive running the ball to me.  And if it's not even close, why is Ozigbo averaging 5.7 YPC and Bell is averaging 4.9 on the season?

Edit:  Kind of a stupid question after looking at it further.  Purdue skews Ozigbo's stats, although no way to know if Bell would have done as well given the same opportunities.  However, I'm still of the opinion Ozigbo has done more with less this season.

16 minutes ago, RedSavage said:

Bell has had some long runs that skew those stats, that IMO, Ozigbo would've done just as well on had he been the back that was in on those plays.  Stats aside, Ozigbo has looked much more impressive running the ball to me.  And if it's not even close, why is Ozigbo averaging 5.7 YPC and Bell is averaging 4.9 on the season?

Edit:  Kind of a stupid question after looking at it further.  Purdue skews Ozigbo's stats, although no way to know if Bell would have done as well given the same opportunities.  However, I'm still of the opinion Ozigbo has done more with less this season.

And I think Bell or Washington would have done at least as good as Ozigbo in the Purdue game had they been available.  Except that either of them would have scored on the long run where Oz got caught.

When you compare the games that they've played and how they've done in those games, Bell has done significantly better.  Trying to dismiss Bell's long runs is kind of like saying we would have been more competitive with Michigan had they not scored all those touchdowns.  That's why Bell is the better back - he has a lot more big-play potential.