Big Day For Ozigbo

Hayseed

Went back and watched the offensive plays for Purdue game.

My opinion of Ozigbo is that he is a good serviceable back in this game.

He doesn't have blazing speed and he doesn't have a lot of wiggle.  But, he didn't make hardly any mistakes either.  I don't remember plays where I felt he should have ran one way and didn't. I don't remember blocks being set up and he screws up by going to the other side.  He did break a few arm tackles on his long TD run in the second half.  I don't think he does that very often due to his lack of wiggle.  Usually, when he gets tackled, it's by someone who is able to hit him pretty solid and very seldom does he not fall forward.

Hopefully that carries forward into the Wisconsin game.

Fact or fiction: Ozigbo doesn't get a lot of YAC. I got the play-by-play and distilled it down to just Zig plays, then I went through them. Here's what I found.

Zig had 18 carries; 17-170 and one was called back because of Foster's PF. Of his 18 carries, 5 of them had YAC greater than 5 yards, 11 were 1-5 yards, and 2 were stopped at contact.

So I rate this a fact. Zig doesn't get a lot of YAC but he does consistently get 2-3 yards falling forward.

Other things I noticed, Zig is used mostly on 1st and 10. He had 13 1st down carries, 4 2nd down carries, and just 1 3rd down carry. Also, 2AM thinks Zig has a 42" vertical, he over threw Zig twice.

• Plus1 2
19 minutes ago, Gage County said:

Fact or fiction: Ozigbo doesn't get a lot of YAC. I got the play-by-play and distilled it down to just Zig plays, then I went through them. Here's what I found.

Zig had 18 carries; 17-170 and one was called back because of Foster's PF. Of his 18 carries, 5 of them had YAC greater than 5 yards, 11 were 1-5 yards, and 2 were stopped at contact.

So I rate this a fact. Zig doesn't get a lot of YAC but he does consistently get 2-3 yards falling forward.

Other things I noticed, Zig is used mostly on 1st and 10. He had 13 1st down carries, 4 2nd down carries, and just 1 3rd down carry. Also, 2AM thinks Zig has a 42" vertical, he over threw Zig twice.

So is he easy to tackle or are we saying Zig can't zag?

• Plus1 1
9 hours ago, Mavric said:

He did a nice job.  But he's more of a high-floor, low-ceiling guy.  He does most things very solid.  But he doesn't do anything really great.

I think a lot of the workload this week had to do with what was missing from practice as opposed to Frost missing anything.  As in, Washington was missing from practice.  Not sure what the deal was with Bell.  Given that he had consistently out-performed Ozigbo in other games, in inclined to think that he was also somewhat sick - there were reports of several guys being sick during the week - or banged up a bit.  I guess we'll see how the distribution looks this week.

17 for 170 is great.  But considering there were almost no yards after contact, I think the offensive line should get a huge chunk of credit for that.  But people have themselves convinced that the line sucks so they don't want to do that.

little surprised by the bolded given how bell has had fumble issues, and also the fact that the dude seems kinda slow.

15 minutes ago, husker98 said:

little surprised by the bolded given how bell has had fumble issues, and also the fact that the dude seems kinda slow.

By "fumble issues" you mean he fumbled once?  You seem to be exaggerating what has happened.

"Kinda slow" compared to what?  Because he's definitely not slow compared to Oz.

5 minutes ago, Mavric said:

By "fumble issues" you mean he fumbled once?  You seem to be exaggerating what has happened.

"Kinda slow" compared to what?  Because he's definitely not slow compared to Oz.

Thus far, Bell just looks like a slightly better version of Wilbon.  Too early to really pass judgement on him and I'm sure he has a lot of potential, but if I (and the coaches apparently) had to choose between the 2 its an easy decision.  

3 hours ago, Mavric said:

i seem to recall him losing it or nearly losing more than once. But yes once for sure.

Could have fooled me. He is no burner, thats for sure.

I just think it was timing. They decided to give Ozigbo the start, and rotate with Bell every other series. But Bell struggled and didn't run upfield on 4th down, and Ozigbo looked good so they stayed with it. I see the same happening vs Wisconsin, and hopefully Bell plays better.