Greg Bell

Braxton Clark

Will Honas

Cam Taylor

Caleb Tannor

Miles Jones

Pickering

Topic here:

I guess I was responding to the how many he brought with him question.  Not sure how many of those guys were pre frost commitments and how many play the majority of snaps

23 hours ago, URSS said:

These are mostly young and inexperienced players. They need intense coaching but I think they need more full speed contact scrimmaging.  They take bad angles, over run the ball carrier, commit far too many shoot your foot penalties, etc.  the full speed contact in games has them at 0-4. I think their morale and motivation are suffering.  I think Martinez has great potential but he is a liability also.  He gets flustered under pressure and fails to throw the ball away taking losses and he throws some bad balls under pressure- showing his inexperience.  

I also think some play calling is made for success for the inexperienced rather than plays needed for scores.  

I hate are waiting for a rebuild year after all of the seasons since Solich and Peking.  But I fear we may only win 1 or 2 games this year.  My biggest fear is that it will be harder to recruit great talent with reputation over the past three years.

PS. I have never liked the three man front defense.  

luckily we almost always have 4 or 5 up there

With all the focus that this staff as devoted to strength and conditioning, you know that we weren't even close to what is needed to compete against the grind that is Big 10 football.  

Depth is part of it, but overall roster talent is the elephant in the room right now.  So far in each game this season the opposing team has had a player on both sides of the ball that is faster and stronger than anyone we have.  It no accident we are 0-4 right now.

2 minutes ago, Savage Husker said:

The last coach who took over a previously Riley led team straight up quit head coaching with millions on the table. It’s frustrating, but I’ll happily give Frost time to filter out the knuckleheads and sift through who the gamers are

Very valid point.

That won't take long to find the gamer on this roster.  We have a losing mentality that is a combo of last seasons debacle and this seasons misfortunes so far.  I know I point out our lack of talent, but we do have a few good pieces that just are not showing up right now.

Stanley Morgan is a very decent receiver, not used enough and has the dropsy's once and a while.  We can complain about the coaches, but Morgan catches that TD pass against Colorado, were a different team right now.  

• Plus1 1

Unfortunately our good pieces depend of a front line of blockers in order to showcase what they can do and were not getting what we need from that group.  We can point out all the great traditions and all the great things that we once were, but the best thing we had was the fact that we had offensive lineman and defensive lineman.  When you can bring a QB like the Turminator and win a game in the old Big 8, yeah self explanatory!

So the good pieces we have in QB, RB, and WR can't really showcase its skills.  I think we have a few decent defensive players, but they also need our D-line to get some push in order for them to make plays.  

So until we get better line play on both sides of the ball, its going to be a long season.  

The two games I’ve been to - these past two - have been in an endzone to the left of the left goalpost. Martinez had less time against Michigan, but showed off some impressive speed against their defenders one on one.  Yesterday he snuck through some holes that when he took off I couldn’t believe he escaped and turned the jets on. Hope he can sustain his health and gain some more talent around him these next few yesrs

12 hours ago, grandpasknee said:

What if Messageboardland is really true life, and what we think of as true life is just some larger message board?!!!!

Maybe we are in Westworld - the old movie - this season is starting to resemble it.

Honest Question: Thinking ahead to 2019 - should Frost be sitting Bell.  As a Juco, can he set out a red shirt year?  Oz was running well on Saturday- maybe he remains the featured back.  Are there other 2 deep guys that he can red shirt after the 4th game and save them for next year's depth and just write this season off as extended practice for next year.  The bowl game is an impossibility at this point - so prepare like it is 2019.   I know Frost said there is no 'year zero' but the reality has set in that this is year zero (hopefully not literally zero wins).