Purdue Post-Game Presser

Mavric

6 minutes ago, Nebfanatic said:

Nah. Its not as easy as bear crawls. It will take time.

*Recruiting the right players takes time.

*Recruiting depth takes time.

*Getting the players physically ready takes time.

*Installing new systems in all three phases takes time.

Getting our players to NOT hit players out of bounds, NOT make late hits on the QB, etc...Those are things that are basic principles that players know not to do from their Pop Warner days.

• Plus1 1
3 minutes ago, Making Chimichangas said:

*Recruiting the right players takes time.

*Recruiting depth takes time.

*Getting the players physically ready takes time.

*Installing new systems in all three phases takes time.

Getting our players to NOT hit players out of bounds, NOT make late hits on the QB, etc...Those are things that are basic principles that players know not to do from their Pop Warner days.

Doesn't make it an easy fix. I guess we will just have to agree to disagree.

40 minutes ago, Nebfanatic said:

Doesn't make it an easy fix. I guess we will just have to agree to disagree.

Let me ask you...You ever been in situation where you had to pay physically for someone else's mistake(s), i.e. do pushups, climb the mountain, bear crawls, crab walks, etc?

Well, I have.  And probably many others who have been in the military have as well.  I am here to tell you, nothing will turn a team (or platoon) against a fellow member faster than them being hammered with PT while the offender(s) watch.   

You can disagree with me, that is fine.  But I know what works in correcting mistakes in a group setting.  You punish the entire group and things just kinda sort themselves out.  

22 minutes ago, Making Chimichangas said:

Let me ask you...You ever been in situation where you had to pay physically for someone else's mistake(s), i.e. do pushups, climb the mountain, bear crawls, crab walks, etc?

Well, I have.  And probably many others who have been in the military have as well.  I am here to tell you, nothing will turn a team (or platoon) against a fellow member faster than them being hammered with PT while the offender(s) watch.   

You can disagree with me, that is fine.  But I know what works in correcting mistakes in a group setting.  You punish the entire group and things just kinda sort themselves out.  

I have. In a sporting setting. 

It doesnt work. 

• Plus1 2
  • Fire 1

I really think that the players and the coaches need to self evaluate and see if they are doing everything in their power to be successful. The fans of Nebraska are the most loyal and understanding fans you will find out there. We appreciate hard work and effort regardless of the outcome. That is why the only standing record that Nebraska owns is the consecutive sellout record, which is on the fans and definitely not due to the team’s performance. So, this team and these coaches owe it to the fans to start playing smart football and stop the undisciplined crap they do in the field that costs us games. 0-4 is not acceptable, especially when 0-5 is staring us in the face next week at Wisconsin. What we deserve is true effort and a clean game free of dumb penalties where we can see that the team is actually trying to win a game. I said it last week and I was attacked by many on this blog. The team’s sideline behavior is horrible and it depicts us as a bunch of losers that have become accustomed to losing games. This is not the Nebraska way. I only hope that Frost sticks around long enough to be able to turn this mess around.

1 minute ago, huskerfan74 said:

I really think that the players and the coaches need to self evaluate and see if they are doing everything in their power to be successful. The fans of Nebraska are the most loyal and understanding fans you will find out there. We appreciate hard work and effort regardless of the outcome. That is why the only standing record that Nebraska owns is the consecutive sellout record, which is on the fans and definitely not due to the team’s performance. So, this team and these coaches owe it to the fans to start playing smart football and stop the undisciplined crap they do in the field that costs us games. 0-4 is not acceptable, especially when 0-5 is staring us in the face next week at Wisconsin. What we deserve is true effort and a clean game free of dumb penalties where we can see that the team is actually trying to win a game. I said it last week and I was attacked by many on this blog. The team’s sideline behavior is horrible and it depicts us as a bunch of losers that have become accustomed to losing games. This is not the Nebraska way. I only hope that Frost sticks around long enough to be able to turn this mess around.

Well he's here for 5 years at the absolute minimum.  Frost didn't quit back in the day when things were tough for him as a player, and there is NO WAY he's quitting now.

• Fire 1

2 hours ago, Making Chimichangas said:

I have been through this in a sports setting. Did we get on guys for mistakes? Yes. Did we resent the coaches for it? Yes. Did it make us a better team that didn't make dumb mistakes and came together to play well? No. We made less mistakes sure, but we didn't like the coaches for it and never gelled as a team because guys were always on each other. 

I've been on another team that used the frost approach. Make mistakes at full speed and don't punish the team. We played better together fought for our coaches a s teammates and had more success. 

• Plus1 1
4 hours ago, Making Chimichangas said:

I never said this wouldn't work at all, but it won't change things overnight either. That was really my whole point. I said I wouldn't be surprised if they have already done something like this and you basically said 'no way if they had done my way it wouldn't be an issue right now'. That is what I take issue with because I really don't think that or anything really is going to solve our discipline issue between this week and next week.

If they are playing this undisciplined at that point its more habit than decision and we all know how long it takes to break habits and form new ones. These guys have had a lacksidasical attitude for 3 years. That isn't fixed by some physically gruling conditioning as punishment.

Some places we just need new players with a new mindframe. It's going to take some time. I would expect the situation to improve, not completely fixed mind you, but improved significantly by the last few weeks of the season.

I was impressed that the players held themselves accountable, and even moreso when Foster said 'if he continues to make mistakes he needs to get out of the way for someone who won't.'  Look gents we didn't get this bad over night, and this isn't a plug and play fix, this is a cultural fix. Frost and Co are dealing with decades of bad culture, and sometimes you have to tear up every weed to plant anew. Frost is building our foundation upon stone, and something tells me this team is about to turn the corner. Keep the faith gents.

• Plus1 1
1 hour ago, SECHusker said:

I was impressed that the players held themselves accountable, and even moreso when Foster said 'if he continues to make mistakes he needs to get out of the way for someone who won't.'  Look gents we didn't get this bad over night, and this isn't a plug and play fix, this is a cultural fix. Frost and Co are dealing with decades of bad culture, and sometimes you have to tear up every weed to plant anew. Frost is building our foundation upon stone, and something tells me this team is about to turn the corner. Get the faith gents.

After listening to Frosts comments about players dancing on the sidelines....making it to study hall....knowing how to treat the workers in the meal line....sounds like they have some players on this team that are boys and not men.  When you play boys in a mans sport that’s when you get penalties for hits 5 yards out of bounds...that’s when you get players dancing after a holding penalty...penalties for shoving the quarterback after he’s released the ball.  At this point this staff needs to find the guys who are men...sad to say but the 3 prior staffs didnt know the culture of Nebraska football....they didn’t understand the people in the state live and die for this team.  Frost knows the culture of Nebraska football better than anyone he went out on top when he played here.  At this point this year is just a long practice session for these players with a few scrimmages against some good big 10 teams.