Riley’s Creampuff Recruiting

There appears to be a narrative that Riley ONLY recruited creampuffs.  Let’s look at who the starters have been and see how many there are:

Martinez-Frost recruit

Ozigbo-Riley-Creampuff?

Bell:  Frost recruit

Morgan:  Pelini

Spielman:  Riley-Creampuff?

Mike Williams-Frost recruit

Warner:  Riley-WALK ON

Farniok:  Riley-Creampuff?

Jamies:  Riley-Creampuff?

Wilson:  Riley-Creampuff?

Conrad:  Pelini-WALK ON

Foster:  Pelini

Farmer: Pelini

Stoll:  Riley-Creampuff

Stoltenberg:  Pelini

Akinmoladun: Pelini

Davisx2:  Pelini

Stille:  Riley-Creampuff?

Young:  Riley-Creampuff?

Barry:  Riley-Creampuff

Gifford:  Pelini

TFerg:  Riley-Creampuff?

Alex Davis:  Riley-Creampuff?

Lamar:  Riley-Creampuff?

Bootle:  Riley-Creampuff

Aaron Williams: Pelini/Riley

Reed:  Riley-Creampuff?

Tre Neal:  Frost

So please be honest about who you think has started and are weak because they Were recruited that way and are still that way today

• Plus1 3
  • Fire 1

I don’t agree with the “Creampuff” on most of those players.

The problem was the Calibraska type stuff that we all embraced.  Keyshawn Johnson Jr and our love for the social media attention.  More worried about likes than wins.  The hype was all show and no go.  You can bring these HS super stars into a program with strong culture, but Nebraska hasn’t been able to provide that for years. This is what we are all paying for now.

I may be wrong but I believe Stanley Morgan may have been a Pelini recruit that Riley signed essentially.

I think the term creampuff is not fair.  These players are, in my view, playing harder than they did the previous several years under Riley and arguably they are in better overall physical shape and condition.   However, they are not the hard, tough nosed 'lion hearted' Huskers (as a group) that the program used to field.   In some respects, all the personal fouls, late hits, roughing, etc penalties are a reflection of the players' efforts to play more aggressively.   This is a good thing as long as they players can in the end control that aggression and play within the limits of the rules.

The number of trruly bonehead penalties like off sides, false starts, illegal formations, motions, etc. have been it seems to me reduced considerably.  This is good coaching and indicates the players are more mentally focused in those areas.   The coaches may in fact have the guys playing too aggressively and over running, etc.  The fear of failure message is working in that we don't see as many players doing nothing or slow reacting.   The guys are learning and improving but we have so far to go to become competitive as a team.   We have individual players making quite a few excellent plays.  We just need to make more of them consistantly.   It seems that the Huskers are now playing about as well as one would expect a typical team to play in its first couple games whereas our opponents are playing in their 3rd or 4th game.   We will never catch up this year as our terrible start to the season put us permanently behind for the year.   Injuries and the flu and those kinds of things are starting to show up and won't help.  Our upcoming schedule is going to be brutal as well.   

Finding a win is a very big challenge going forward as I am not sure how much better this team can actually be expected to play.   The O line is just not good enough to do much better and without more consistant play from them, we are not going to score enough and retain possession long enough to help the defense.   The defense needs a lot more up front toughness as well as since the Colorado game, we have not really won the battle of the line of scrimmage at all.   Can't win without winning in the trenches and blocking the perimeter.   Period.  

• Plus1 2
6 minutes ago, StPaulHusker said:

You can look into just about every in game thread and what did we learn thread and see these quotes about them being soft recruits

I just came across it.   I disagree with the notion that Riley recruited creampuffs.  We have some damn good players that he recruited that just need to have some things fixed.

• Plus1 1

Lamar Jackson is the very definition of creampuff. The guy doesn’t even tackle then decides to dance and be all big and tough after a penalty, he deserves to be kicked off the team. This is nothing new, he’s been complete s#!t since he got here, an entitled POS. If I’m an OC, I’m throwing his way every damn time. 

I normally don’t call out players, but good god he’s the most frustrating guy to watch. 

• Plus1 5