Riley’s Creampuff Recruiting

Apparently the current coach feels there are kids on the team that don't treat the game of football the way he would like them to treat it.  He claims this problem is his now, no one else's.

High school players don't usually get to Div 1 by not giving a sh*t.  There may be some, but not many kids that make it that far and work that hard to receive a scholarship if they would rather by hanging out with their buddies and skipping class.  So I guess I wouldn't look so much at "recruiting" creampuffs to explain the current problems, but instead look at a culture that may, or may not, have "created" creampuffs.   My point, I don't care if it was a Pelini or Riley recruit.  If a kid don't care, it's because someone made him think it is okay not to care.  

• Plus1 1

6 minutes ago, Stumpy1 said:

People that are saying D. Young needs to sit must not be paying attention much.  He is currently tied with A. Williams for 2nd on the team in tackles with 25.  Mo Barry is leading with 37.

Young might not be the fastest or the flashiest but he get stuff done and will end his career as one of the top tacklers in school history.

His tackle stats are a product of being an LB in this system.   The issue with him is how often he is out of position.  

• Plus1 2
  • Fire 2
31 minutes ago, Crazyhole said:

His tackle stats are a product of being an LB in this system.   The issue with him is how often he is out of position.  

He has been a LB in 2 different systems and yet has piled up the tackles he has.  That's not a product of being out of position.  

Recruiting to Nebraska is and has always been a take what you can get deal.  No question in my mind Coach Pelini and Coach Riley recruited the best players they could get.  Whether they were developed or lacked the motivation to be a good player at the college level is the question.  Pretty sure neither said, well that guy might work to hard so I won't take him as he might destroy the culture.

Two/three bad coaches overall are what we have been dealing with for a long time.  No reason to call out a player because he was recruited by a certain coach.  It is Coach Frost's job to fix the problem.  That is easier said than done.  You only have so many players, and if there isn't some one there to replace the dead wood, you just have to keep using it unfortunately.

I am sure he is quite depressed over this and that is not helping.  Being 0-4 and UCF being 4-0 has to have an effect on him.  The media seems to be very close to being on the attack mode, and some of the fans.  This is a journey, we have been in this situation for a long time.  For Nebraska, he needs to be given all the time it takes, because if he fails, no one will ever come.  He is our best and only shot it seems to me.  

I think we should cut back on deciding what is wrong and right, and let him do his job.  He wants to make Nebraska a winner for more than any of us can imagine.  Let's just support him for a couple of years.  Grin and bear it so to speak.  I truly believe it is the only chance Nebraska has to return to the power we once were.

• Plus1 3
3 hours ago, In the Deed the Glory said:

St. Paul is right, guys.  He is saying that the kids weren't "creampuffs" when they were recruited.  If you go by how good our players were in high school, we have lots of talent.  The issue is that the upper classmen are YEARS behind other teams when it comes to development in college.

Star rankings are about how good they are in high school and how they "project" into college.  These projections come with an assumption of solid steady development by the coaching staff and strength program at their university.  Our guys didn't have that.

So in a nutshell, Riley (and Pelini) recruited good high school players.  They were developed into creampuffs.

That is not an ideal plan for success.

Yeah they are way behind in development. In some ways the upperclassmen are almost like freshmen in a real cfb program. I think things will start looking like football next season after two years of proper S&C, nutrition, and culture take hold. Long time to wait but we've been waiting for like 20 years so one more year won't kill us.

Not that young did great (he didn't), but he did cover Purdue's freshman phenom fairly well at times. That kid did have a couple plays, but by and large, wasn't the weapon that Knox was. His 42 yard run was, from what I could see, film study from Michigan - they had us hat for hat to boundary, and that is a schematic issue solely on chin's head. 

They played hard, but out of control, rileys recruits or not. Tre Neal is normally in good position, but maybe isn't the fastest guy? 

Off subject, The refs killed us on two pivotal plays: first when they were holding Morgan's arms all the way down the field, no flag; and the roughing the passer on freedom. Those are the calls we need (or don't need) if we're going to win these games. 

The truth is that we haven't recruited well the last 4 years, a lot of that due to new coach attrition. 

The harder truth is that when you say we haven't recruited well, that means that there should be different, better kids wearing the red N than who's out there now. But it's true, and Frost is getting every kid he can that will turn this thing around. 

4 minutes ago, Jeremy said:

Not that young did great (he didn't), but he did cover Purdue's freshman phenom fairly well at times. That kid did have a couple plays, but by and large, wasn't the weapon that Knox was. His 42 yard run was, from what I could see, film study from Michigan - they had us hat for hat to boundary, and that is a schematic issue solely on chin's head. 

They played hard, but out of control, rileys recruits or not. Tre Neal is normally in good position, but maybe isn't the fastest guy? 

Off subject, The refs killed us on two pivotal plays: first when they were holding Morgan's arms all the way down the field, no flag; and the roughing the passer on freedom. Those are the calls we need (or don't need) if we're going to win these games. 

The truth is that we haven't recruited well the last 4 years, a lot of that due to new coach attrition. 

The harder truth is that when you say we haven't recruited well, that means that there should be different, better kids wearing the red N than who's out there now. But it's true, and Frost is getting every kid he can that will turn this thing around. 

The roughing the passer call was terrible. Freedom got shoved from behind into the QB. Not sure what he’s supposed to do. 

• Plus1 2
1 hour ago, HuskerNBigD said:

You’re right, i did. I have an issue with players that are selfish and celebrate a play that hurts the team. 

I have never reported a post but yesterday I decided when  specific players are called extremely vulgar names I will report every single one of them and I reported yours.  Grow up

• Plus1 2

Nebraska's players were "creampuffs" but that is more on Mike Riley and to a lesser extent Bo Pelini.  You can recruit the best players coming out of high school; but if they get into a system where there is no accountability, no discipline, minimal coaching, no emphasis whatsoever on strength and conditioning, the team is going to fail.  These are the obstacles Coach Frost is dealing with and trying to overcome.  It seems like from the pressers this week that the "lightbulb" has finally come on for these players.  They, apparently, have found out just how hard they have to work to even be competitive, let alone win.  Are we there yet?  I'm not sure but we'll know (or have a much better idea) where Nebraska stands after the Wisconsin game.