Martinez vs Purdue

Undone

1 minute ago, Bigred_inSD said:

He has a lot of potential.    There are moments when you can tell he is still a freshman and didn't play his senior year of football.

You can also tell he lacks a lot of faith in his line

Really?  Interesting, I think the opposite.  For a true freshmen I think he stays in the pocket for a very long time.

• Plus1 6
1 minute ago, teachercd said:

Really?  Interesting, I think the opposite.  For a true freshmen I think he stays in the pocket for a very long time.

I guess I didn't clarify.  He does stay in the pocket he just doesn't set his feet at some moments and makes bad throws. (His pick and a few balls thrown high in the game)  could be rosy, could be worried about not having time to get set because he is worried about getting hit.  

• Plus1 1

1 minute ago, teachercd said:

I think the mini wideouts are having difficult getting space.  Or they are difficult to see beyond the LOS.  The exception is JD because they said he knows how to get open (last year's quotes from other WRs). 

Some of the throws are high, but it would be better if we have some 6"2 or taller guys out there with Morgan and JD.

5 minutes ago, teachercd said:

I'm with you, Teach.  There were a couple times in the 2nd half where I was screaming (okay, quietly cussing) at my TV for him just to take off and get the 5 yards vs throwing an incompletion downfield...

17 minutes ago, teachercd said:

It's really impressive.  A lot of running QBs have a tendency to tuck it and run as soon as the first read isn't open.  Even very experienced running QBs.  I don't think Martinez has that gene at all.

• Plus1 3

8 minutes ago, Army_Allen said:

He floated a lot of balls high that stalled some really good drives and I felt like he was tentative to run in the first half not really trusting his leg but in the 2nd half when he made that 1st really gorgeous run, everything kinda settled for him.

In the first half there were a lot of play calls where he was being asked to just stand there in the pocket in slow developing pass plays and read downfield routes. The problem with that: our offensive line. 

I would have liked to have seen more of the high percentage ways to get our receivers involved in the first half, like quick outs and jet sweeps to Spielman, etc. Or RPOs where Martinez rolls quickly to the edge of the field; there are a lot of those in the playbook and you saw it a lot with Milton at UCF.

34 minutes ago, Undone said:

In the first half there were a lot of play calls where he was being asked to just stand there in the pocket in slow developing pass plays and read downfield routes. The problem with that: our offensive line. 

I would have liked to have seen more of the high percentage ways to get our receivers involved in the first half, like quick outs and jet sweeps to Spielman, etc. Or RPOs where Martinez rolls quickly to the edge of the field; there are a lot of those in the playbook and you saw it a lot with Milton at UCF.

Oh I agree I feel the play calls should have led him to be more mobile and get away from the pocket as well. Cause when he started trusting his leg again he was electric. I'm not a fan of how loosely he holds the ball while running though. It's almost like he's still got that fastest kid on the field from high school where you think nobody can catch you from behind mentality.

• Plus1 1
1 hour ago, Army_Allen said:

I'm not a fan of how loosely he holds the ball while running though. It's almost like he's still got that fastest kid on the field from high school where you think nobody can catch you from behind mentality.

I've been harping on that for months. He ain't the only one that does it, either.