it's all about recruiting

1 minute ago, StPaulHusker said:

Good points.  But this was about him evaluating a recruit better than Riley could.

Gotcha.

I am told over and over to not put too much stock into what the major recruiting services say about a kid's profile but I disagree, and I think those numbers are as good a measure as any to go by.

When I look at the "talent" Riley had to work with I see recruiting classes full of a bunch of three stars with a few four stars sprinkled in there. Did Riley develop those guys? NO, NO, and NO.

So I'm less interested in trying to figure out whether or not Frost has a better eye for a recruit than anybody else but rather I'm interested this season in:

1. Where our 2019 recruiting class ultimately falls on the national level come February.

2. Whether or not this rag tag bunch of misfits is playing better football at the end of the season than they were at the beginning of the season.

Anything other than that and you need a crystal ball to even have the discussion.

1 minute ago, Undone said:

Gotcha.

I am told over and over to not put too much stock into what the major recruiting services say about a kid's profile but I disagree, and I think those numbers are as good a measure as any to go by.

When I look at the "talent" Riley had to work with I see recruiting classes full of a bunch of three stars with a few four stars sprinkled in there. Did Riley develop those guys? NO, NO, and NO.

So I'm less interested in trying to figure out whether or not Frost has a better eye for a recruit than anybody else but rather I'm interested this season in:

1. Where our 2019 recruiting class ultimately falls on the national level come February.

2. Whether or not this rag tag bunch of misfits is playing better football at the end of the season than they were at the beginning of the season.

Anything other than that and you need a crystal ball to even have the discussion.

I believe that today you can put a lot of stock into the services.  Are they going to be 100%?  No.  Too many players and variables.  But they are damn good.

Where the evaluation will need to be better for Frost over Riley is looking for the top players that want to come here and actually work.  Time will tell if he can do that.

I don't think the services are perfect but they are a good general indicator.  The past several years the Huskers have had classes that I think have been around 30 possible a bit higher this is what bums me out the most about the product on the field.  I know some players did not show up or make the grade so that hurts some, but the team should have enough talent to at least be competitive.  I guess this is the task of the new staff to show the huskers can develop talent.

2 hours ago, Hunter94 said:

easy prediction, we lost those 4 games and played like s#!t......surely we will have less penalties.

Yea but billdozer said he would be surprised if we see a different team in November. I don't see how it could be a surprise given the way we've been playing.

Recruiting is obviously very important, but not only do we need to recruit good players and develop them, we have to get the right guys. Currently, the two highest rated guys on our roster (and highest rated recruits we've had in a long time) are... Tyjon Lindsey and Lamar Jackson. Now, it's still early for Tyjon, but at this point, Lamar is leaning towards being a bust. They have athleticism, but for some reason, they just haven't figured it out.

• Plus1 2
1 hour ago, Mavric said:

It's not all about recruiting.

We've significantly under-performed our recruiting three of the last four years.

Related to this, there are two options. Either Scott Frost has no clue what he's talking about when he says we need to clear some rot from the team or it's all about recruiting. 

Now there's something to be said about recruiting the guys that you want for the team, but this isn't treating a cold, it's fighting cancer. There's a growth that needs to be removed from this team, only once we get rid of what's wrong can we start really moving forward. 

Guys out there have the yips, they're playing hesitantly, they're making the mistakes that come with overthinking, they're not just balling out. I think this is most true on special teams, but you can see it elsewhere too. We don't need guys who are talented, we need guys who are talented, know they're talented, buy into the system, know the system, and know that system is going to allow them to win every game. 

If anyone has tried teaching, you know how hard it is to change multiple things. Additionally, it's horrible to teach multiple things at once and that's what HCSF is having to do. 

It's going to be a ride, but we'll get there, it just isn't going to be fun this year. Use it as an excuse to brag about how great Nebraska fans are (through thick and thin) and to drink way too much with friends. Take in the awful, so you can appreciate the bad and eventually not take for granted the good/great. 

• Plus1 1
6 hours ago, r06ue1 said:

Give Frost a bunch of 3 star players that want to put in the work and believe in the system and the wins will start coming and with those wins, 4 and 5 star players later on.  

i mean there's probably roughly 75 3-4 star guys on the roster right now. can he really not find 22 guys that want to put in the work?

if frost really wants to win here, having a top 15 class seems to be the safest way to do it.

obviously it's not required, but it seems to be the most helpful thing you can do.

With Frost's long history of successful recruits, he'll get the #1 class soon.  Of course, there's always Wisconsin - one of the Top 5's winningest teams in the last 5 seasons, yet they've never had a recruiting class above #32.  They decide to 'coach 'em up'.  How quaint!  Gee - a coach who can actually coach!  What a concept!

28 minutes ago, ClemHusker said:

Of course, there's always Wisconsin - one of the Top 5's winningest teams in the last 5 seasons, yet they've never had a recruiting class above #32.  They decide to 'coach 'em up'.

I'll give my standard disclaimer I always give before making these comments about Wisconsin - I'd definitely trade places with their program.

In 2013 the B1G changed from the Legends/Leaders divisions to the West/East divisions. The big thing I notice about those past five seasons for Wisconsin is that by and large they haven't really played many seasons where they schedule more than one decent team from the East. Given that the West has been completely non-competitive, they've kind of coasted. 

They'll lose a lot of games next year when that trend finally changes and their schedule gets tough. 

1 hour ago, ClemHusker said:

With Frost's long history of successful recruits, he'll get the #1 class soon.  Of course, there's always Wisconsin - one of the Top 5's winningest teams in the last 5 seasons, yet they've never had a recruiting class above #32.  They decide to 'coach 'em up'.  How quaint!  Gee - a coach who can actually coach!  What a concept!

A lot to unpack on this one

I see a gap in talent. There are plays that a guy catches a ball, a guy is running for a tackle, a guy is sprinting on special teams...and just can’t make a decent play into a great play. 

One example is the the little RPO to the TE in the 1st quarter of the Purdue game. He catches the ball, turns, trips, and gets about 3-4 yds. A slightly better athlete catches and just easily picks up 8-10 yds. 

Our KR bobbles the ball in the end zone and instead of realizing he’s 3 yds deep and downing it, picks it up and runs to get tackled at the 17. 

Our defenders often times are running to the play and instead of making a tackle for a minimal gain are a step late and give up 7-8 yds. 

We blitz on defense on 3rd and 9 and we have a guy with a clear line to the QB, but he’s 2 steps slow and the QB releases it for a 12 yd gain instead of a sack or a hurried errant throw. 

A good football eye can clearly see that there are a ton of plays that are right there to be made. But we lack that overall team speed and athleticism to make a decent or good play into a great play. We have decent to good players. But we don’t have the 10-12 great players yet. 

Add turnovers and stupid/inopportune penalties and it compounds itself into holes that we just aren’t good enough to dig out of yet. 

7 sacks v Colorado and 500+ yds of offense should be a win. 

580+ yds of offense at home w over 25 points should be a win. 

A loss to a “lesser” non con team by less than 10pts at home w a walkon QB, but 100+ yds in penalites should be a win...but it’s not

because we dont quite have the horses yet to overcome those types of miscues. Another recruiting cycle and expunging bad culture apples will help.  

• Plus1 1
1 hour ago, ClemHusker said:

and yet wisconsin have never made the playoff or championship. if the goal is just to be good but not great, then by all means just recruit #32 classes that fit your system.

• Plus1 1