Depth Chart Changes

4 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

Why do you jump to that conclusion?

First.  I was being sarcastic

Second.  It was based off Christopher Heady's tweet quoting Tanner Farmer about weeding out players that don't love football and it being reflected on depth chart.  Bell went from starter to an -OR- to 2nd string.

I don't truly believe Bell doesn't like football or that was the reason he dropped.  It appears to me he isn't comfortable with what is being asked of him yet.  Needs a bit more time

• Plus1 1
Just now, StPaulHusker said:

First.  I was being sarcastic

Second.  It was based off Christopher Heady's tweet quoting Tanner Farmer about weeding out players that don't love football and it being reflected on depth chart.  Bell went from starter to an -OR- to 2nd string.

I don't truly believe Bell doesn't like football or that was the reason he dropped.  It appears to me he isn't comfortable with what is being asked of him yet.  Needs a bit more time

I was high on Bell before the season, and I think he has done good things at I-back.  I know the line didn't help much on the 4th and 1 play in the 1st quarter, but Bell can't dance at the LOS on that play.  I wasn't surprised when Frost and Held stuck with Ozigbo the rest of the game.  I think Bell will still play a lot the rest of the year.

Just now, ColoradoHusk said:

I was high on Bell before the season, and I think he has done good things at I-back.  I know the line didn't help much on the 4th and 1 play in the 1st quarter, but Bell can't dance at the LOS on that play.  I wasn't surprised when Frost and Held stuck with Ozigbo the rest of the game.  I think Bell will still play a lot the rest of the year.

You're probably right.  I just don't see a lot of confidence from him.  It could be because he doesn't have the confidence in the OL.

The thing that works for Ozigbo is that he just attacks no matter what.  He doesn't care what the OL is doing.  He knows his responsibility and just does his job.  Once Bell gets there, I think he will be lights out

• Plus1 2
2 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

Main difference I notice between the two is that Ozigbo just has a lot more experience and ability to find holes. That's really what has separated them. Then the added bonus with Ozigbo is his ability to get yards after contact.

I'm glad that I was totally wrong about Oz not having a place in this offense during fall camp. The exact opposite is true.

1 hour ago, StPaulHusker said:

Can anyone name another 3-4 year starter that when their time was over you forgot they were a starter a few years later?  I feel like that is going to happen with Freedom, Mick, and Young.

I could but I can't remember their names :lol:....seriously, we've had too many that fit this category.

10 minutes ago, StPaulHusker said:

You're probably right.  I just don't see a lot of confidence from him.  It could be because he doesn't have the confidence in the OL.

The thing that works for Ozigbo is that he just attacks no matter what.  He doesn't care what the OL is doing.  He knows his responsibility and just does his job.  Once Bell gets there, I think he will be lights out

I am with you.  Bell could probably do great in high school and JUCO, regardless of o-line performance.  Now, he's losing some confidence in where to run.

Now, Ozigbo, he goes with one cut and hammers away.  Sometimes that works great when the line is doing its job.  Sometimes, he just runs into the back of someone, when the line isn't doing its job.  I give credit for Oz in cutting weight and improving his play.  I still think there will be a solid 3-man rotation with Oz, Bell, and Washington (when he returns from illiness).

6 minutes ago, Crusader Husker said:

Is Tanner part of the solution or the problem.  Should he be calling people out?  I think at times his play is subpar.  I know he has a good attitude, but geesh.

He hasn't been committing penalties, at least that I've noticed. Gives him some room to talk in my mind - the line as a whole was a lot better last week, although chalk a lot of that up to Purdue not being Michigan. Even the penalty on Foster was extremely questionable, every o-line coach in the country would tell you to fall on the guy if he's down and you don't need to go block someone else.

Also I stand corrected - Frost at least implied Conrad would start if healthy, and Farmer does in fact do Center drills during the week.