Huskers Hold Players-Only Meeting

Mavric

10 minutes ago, JJ Husker said:

Whoever gave this the sad skeptical eyes emoji without having the balls to put their name to it and comment is a douchebag.

I’m starting to think my request for rolleyes was a bad idea. I have used it occasionally but it’s being used for confusing reasons. E.g. @StPaulHusker replied “fair enough” to me and got a rolleyes for it.

I have been waiting for it to click.   Has it?  Don't know.  We will know if they finally play a disciplined game against the Badgers.  I don't expect a win, because the the offense is unlikely to be consistent enough at this point in the transition and neither is the defense.  But, if there are no special teams penalties and there aren't huge gaffes on defense, we will likely know that it is finally clicking.  We see sparks of potential greatness, but not a consistent flame.  Hopefully, we will start to see that soon.

9 minutes ago, Moiraine said:

I’m starting to think my request for rolleyes was a bad idea. I have used it occasionally but it’s being used for confusing reasons. E.g. @StPaulHusker replied “fair enough” to me and got a rolleyes for it.

That's why I keep saying that forums like this are better off with just a +1 button and no others. It's also simpler, I mean, we've got separate buttons for +1, upvote, thank you, and haha. But if you think about it, a single +1 or like button is enough to cover all four of those - it just says 'I liked that'. Keep it simple, stupid. Meanwhile, what good does having negative reactions like an eyeroll do, really? To me, it's little more than a passive-aggressive source of tension and drama - it's not like we need more of that. Plus it also leads to 'what did I do to deserve that?' moments like the case you mentioned.

• Plus1 4

9 minutes ago, StPaulHusker said:

It's not being used for confusing reasons.  The person using it knows why they are.  

I’m sure the person who used it on you just doesn’t like your posts about Frost in general but it’s stupid to use it on individual posts that shouldn’t illicit the response. 

• Plus1 1

3 hours ago, JJ Husker said:

This doesn’t affect my thoughts at all. There are a few things I think I know;

1- Frost is the best guy and maybe the only guy that can get this deal turned around.

2- Correcting 15 years of culture destruction, especially these last 4 years, is not and never was going to be a quick or easy job.

3- His job is not in jeopardy, this year or next year, no matter the results, so it is a complete waste of energy to get too wound up over disappointing results before 2020.

4- We still have some serious bumps in the road to experience.

4- We’ll get there when we get there. Like Scott, I know where this thing is headed. No doubt in my mind.

All we can do as fans is to grin and bear it until things do start to take off. Hope for the best and expect the worst would still seem prudent. I plan to stay engaged and positive so I am there to witness the transformation because it will be something to see.

You said 4 twice. 

There's a Blazing Saddles reference in here somewhere....

As to the player's meeting, I'll believe it was meaningful when I see the play on the field the next several weeks.  Might have been a "click" moment, might have been a gimmick.

As for feeling good about the program still, I had this thought.   I was remembering the year when Riley managed to get his team to lose all those close games (first year maybe?).  Rather than thinking "we're almost there" I had a strong "we're sinking and we just don't know it" notion.  With these four losses, I see a lot of glaring weaknesses along with a still inexperienced set of coaches.  But I see moments where the plan is showing through and I feel good.

The crowd was dead from second quarter through the third quarter where we started to come alive a bit.  I was at the game.  It felt like the crowd has some subdued electricity that was waiting to explode, much like the team on the field.  It didn't happen then.  But it will.  And when ever it does, it will be a sweet as a cool summer rain.

• Plus1 1