Tyjon Lindsey No Longer a Husker

14 minutes ago, Undone said:

I like that you're standing up for our Husker student athletes. I mean that genuinely.

But what you have in Scott Frost is a guy who went through the Tom Osborne blueprint. A guy who knows that getting the W/L columns straightened out is more than just flashes in the pan or someone who looks good on paper. 

The first thing I thought of - just like you - was that he was one of the two guys hospitalized during the winter workouts. But when I see Frost practically tearing up over this team losing I'm going to go ahead and firmly believe that he knows more than we do about what a kid is putting into this thing in the here and now. Whatever happened 5+ months ago is honestly irrelevant in September when you're right in the thick of the season.

The blueprint from 20 years ago might not be correct anymore. 

Frost has proven that he can evolve. He is showing that he needs to again 

16 minutes ago, Undone said:

I like that you're standing up for our Husker student athletes. I mean that genuinely.

But what you have in Scott Frost is a guy who went through the Tom Osborne blueprint. A guy who knows that getting the W/L columns straightened out is more than just flashes in the pan or someone who looks good on paper. 

The first thing I thought of - just like you - was that he was one of the two guys hospitalized during the winter workouts. But when I see Frost practically tearing up over this team losing I'm going to go ahead and firmly believe that he knows more than we do about what a kid is putting into this thing in the here and now. Whatever happened 5+ months ago is honestly irrelevant in September when you're right in the thick of the season.

This ^^^ is absolutely true.  Frost was our QB at the apex of the program's dominance.  He knows what he's doing and he knows what needs to be done.  He just needs the time.

I understand the "holes in the roster" players leaving creates argument.  However, the other side to that is it also creates opportunities for players who stay.  It isn't like we're losing our best WR and playmaker.  Nebraska is going to be fine.  

Said it before previously, I'll never criticize a player for leaving.  In point of fact, I have respect for Tyjon and all other players who have left.  I would rather they leave if their respective hearts aren't into, and invested in, the success of the program.  

43 minutes ago, Mavric said:

It's likely that had at least some part to do with it.  We'll never know how much.  If Lindsey didn't think he fit in Frost's system, I can't imagine how it will fit any better in any other system.

But three of those top eight guys didn't even make it to Fall Camp under Riley, let alone giving Frost a chance.  So I think there's quite a bit more to it than just a coaching change.

Someone earlier in this thread floated the idea TL saw himself as a possession receiver and not the slot(going off memory so may not have that exact).  I guess the point is, if he did see himself at another position he wasn't going to have a chance to play for SF that could certainly be one possible reason for his departure. 

As for the other guys I was mainly thinking of Gebbia, Obrien, and Roberts.

4 minutes ago, LaunchCode said:

Someone earlier in this thread floated the idea TL saw himself as a possession receiver and not the slot(going off memory so may not have that exact).  I guess the point is, if he did see himself at another position he wasn't going to have a chance to play for SF that could certainly be one possible reason for his departure. 

I guarantee you TL did NOT see himself as a possession receiver.  Just go watch his high school film.

4 minutes ago, LaunchCode said:

As for the other guys I was mainly thinking of Gebbia, Obrien, and Roberts.

Yeah, you were emphasizing the guys that you think fit your narrative and dismissing counter-examples.  Not surprising.

We don’t need Joe Dailey

We don’t need Harrison Beck

We don’t need Blaine Gabbert

We don’t need Jonas Gray

We don’t need Patrick Witt

We don’t need Chase Rome

We don’t need Cody Green

We don’t need Johnny Stanton

We don’t need Vincent Valentine

We don’t need Patrick o’Brien

We don’t need Tristan Gebbia

We don’t need Tyjon Lindsay. 

We don’t recruit well enough to toss ranked recruits like that away regardless of staff. 

Past being prelude and all

• Plus1 1

41 minutes ago, Mavric said:

I guarantee you TL did NOT see himself as a possession receiver.  Just go watch his high school film.

Yeah, you were emphasizing the guys that you think fit your narrative and dismissing counter-examples.  Not surprising.

Watching his high school film won't tell me or you one iota about what "he thinks" he should be.  Besides go back and read the post, I was pretty clear that I was paraphrasing a post based off memory and might be off on the position that post claimed he wanted to play. 

What narrative do you refer to and exactly how did I "emphasize" those guys?  Bold, all caps, repetition, other?  What's not surprising are the baseless insinuations.

I’m thinking that Tyjon sees himself as an NFL-caliber receiver and wants to play in a pro style offense to showcase his skill to get to the next level.  

Frost’s offense, which relies heavily on the WR’s perimeter blocking (maybe paramount, see Warner).. isn’t what Tyjon signed up for when choosing NU.

No hard feelings, good luck to him.

I wouldn’t be surprised to see him reunite with Gebbia up at the Beaver lodge.

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 1

Scott Frost was really concerned about the discipline in this team and he really looked very surprised and not expecting this team’s issues to be this severe when he took over the Huskers. I am sure he has seen many things that have alarmed him and he has reached a point where he needs to start taking drastic measures to get his point across to this team. Mike Riley, even though a nice guy, left us with a team that has a very wrong attitude. Frost has his work cut out for him and I would not be surprised if Lindsey leaving is one of many anticipated changes that we will begin to see over the next two months. Lindsey never lived up to the hype and he failed to make anything from the chances he was given in the first four games. It is sad because I was excited to see what he can do but it might be for the best for all parties involved including Lindsey.

3 hours ago, secretasianman said:

I’m thinking that Tyjon sees himself as an NFL-caliber receiver and wants to play in a pro style offense to showcase his skill to get to the next level.  

Frost’s offense, which relies heavily on the WR’s perimeter blocking (maybe paramount, see Warner).. isn’t what Tyjon signed up for when choosing NU.

No hard feelings, good luck to him.

I wouldn’t be surprised to see him reunite with Gebbia up at the Beaver lodge.

That is my feeling too.  Unfortunately for him, he's short in height and high end speed.  He was better off staying at DONU and learning the slot position.  That's his only chance in the NFL.

• Plus1 1

4 hours ago, MountainMan said:

We don’t need Joe Dailey

We don’t need Jonas Gray

We don’t need Chase Rome

We don’t need Cody Green

We don’t recruit well enough to toss ranked recruits like that away regardless of staff. 

Valentine was drafted, Green was beat out, Joe Dailey was Joe Dailey, Gabbert left upon Callahan being fired (I believe), and Lindsey didn't fit. 

What is your point? Every team has attrition. They were all given the chance to compete, get over it. 

• Plus1 8
39 minutes ago, jcsmhammel said:

I question how he was ever considered a 4 star recruit. He’s small, has showed zero sigh of having elite speed. He must not be a very good route runner cause he’s never open. Apparently can’t block. This just isn’t that big of deal as far as I’m concerned. 

I believe he was a 5 * at one time .agree with everything you said.

5 hours ago, MountainMan said:

We don’t need Joe Dailey

We don’t need Jonas Gray

We don’t need Chase Rome

We don’t need Cody Green

Got to give it to you. You love your theatrics. How many of those guys planned out elsewhere? Valentine in the NFL? That’s about it. 

He’s a novel idea, maybe Tyjon wasn’t willing to change his attitude or mindset. You continue to bring up one data point to support his work ethic, but it was that same work ethic that got him demoted to the freshman locker room, was it not?

Obviously, there was some butting Of heads and personalities and I’m going to ride/side with the coach who’s nearly in tears after we lose rather than a kid who prefers to skip class. It goes back to the little things, like Frost mentioned. 

• Plus1 5