5 reasons we beat da Badgers

3 hours ago, Redux said:

They are going to treat us like Michigan treated us.  Hopefully they enter the game with that mentality, expecting a cream puff and we come in finally mentally prepared and give them a game.  We'll still come up short but a close loss would be a major turnaround at this juncture.

Man I hate this season...

Ha, I know. Then Northwestern plays Michigan and gets off to a 17-0 lead. Winds up losing 20-17, but still. It boggles the mind at how our defense not only doesn't show up for some games but then gives up after roughly a quarter of football.

11 hours ago, Fast Jimmy said:

Has frost directly and intentionally said anything to motivate them?  Love the man but he seems almost determined to do the other coaches work for them as far as providing that extra spark goes.  I wonder just how many points the ‘outhit’ Michigan comment was worth and, yes, that was when he was with UCF.

Perhaps Moos could say something about their stodginess and lack of flash/dash or something 

I actually don't have a problem with this.  We're in a rebuilding year.  Let's get more experience by getting everyone's best shot against us.

3 hours ago, BigRedBuster said:

The only way we have a chance is if the team comes out and plays a clean game without stupid mistakes and penalties.

If they do that, they actually do have a real chance of winning.

If they don't, it will be just another ugly stinker of a game.

This I agree with. If they can play clean penalty wise, I mean like maybe 6 or so and go plus 2 in TO they have a chance.  I think NU's offense can move the ball on Wisconsin some.  This is not a vintage great Wisconsin defense.  It is a good defense, solid and doesn't make mistakes but, the only team they have really played with an offensive pulse this year is Iowa, and they had like 4 TO in the game.  

They have to sell out to stop the run that is what they have to do.  You can't let them run for 250 yards and expect to win.  They need to keep it at about 125-150 yards and make Hornibrook beat them with his arm.  If he does than hats off to Wisconsin and  they win. BYU beat them by playing very physical at the LOS I don't know if Nebraska has that capability.  

It really comes down to playing a clean game penalty and TO wise and I am not sure that NU can do that.  If they had in the other 3 games they are probably 3-1 right now.                                                                                                        

59 minutes ago, Undone said:

Ha, I know. Then Northwestern plays Michigan and gets off to a 17-0 lead. Winds up losing 20-17, but still. It boggles the mind at how our defense not only doesn't show up for some games but then gives up after roughly a quarter of football.

Not just Northwestern, has looked completely inept up to week 5 Northwestern.

We gave up midway through the first series.

Guys, I could be wrong but I don’t think these other teams are beating us because of bulletin board material statements. There’s a handful of things keeping us from competing.

Turnovers

Stupid penalties

Special teams

Converting 3rd downs (and 4th downs) on offense

Preventing 3rd down conversions on defense

The first 3 should be fairly easy to correct. The last 2 may require a bit more talent and/or experience in this system, for both players and coaches. But if we can fix the first 3 and get even marginally better at the last 2, we should be able to compete with almost every team on our schedule. If we don’t fix the first 3 quick, we could be looking at a 1 win season.