Jump to content
StPaulHusker

Good bye Greg Bell

Recommended Posts

I hate to say it, but he's been a complete bust. He needs way too much to go right in order to produce. I know it is only 4 games but he worked himself into the 3rd spot very quickly.

  • Plus1 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Not bothered by this a bit. As Knapp said in a different thread, some things will get interesting after the Purdue game (game 4). Attrition by virtue of lack of buy in or playing time, is not a bad thing. 

  • Plus1 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

He did nothing in the few games he played to make me feel like he would ever contribute here. Best of luck. 

 

These transfers across college football are getting ridiculous. 

  • Plus1 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Is the #3 back now Miles Jones or Wyatt Mazour?

 

I am assuming Wilbon can't get out of the doghouse and Bradley is redshirting?

  • Plus1 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, StPaulHusker said:

So.  Does the Riley ice cream narrative still apply?

That's a bit of a red herring, but the 2017 class still is pretty bad.

  • Plus1 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, StPaulHusker said:

It's a joke

Well I like ice cream, lol.

 

Still, new regime, plus the new RS rule is just making things weird.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, SUHperman said:

He did nothing in the few games he played to make me feel like he would ever contribute here. Best of luck. 

 

These transfers across college football are getting ridiculous. 

He had 100 yards rushing in his first husker game despite a bad OL and you saw nothing?

  • Plus1 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, WyoHusker56 said:

So, about those buy in issues that people didn't believe...

So how does a coach not get his own recruit to not buy in?

  • Plus1 2
  • Eyeroll 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, MountainMan said:

This is alarming. He was a Frost recruit and was gettin ample reps 

Not so much in the last game.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, StPaulHusker said:

He had 100 yards rushing in his first husker game despite a bad OL and you saw nothing?

And continued to regress each game.....

  • Plus1 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Saunders said:

I thought he looked OK, but honestly, when he broke through the line untouched (twice) and got run down... that was a bit of a shocker. Like, even a guy like Imani Cross could house it on a play like that.

I saw the same thing.  I thought it was more of a tentativeness that would go away once he got comfortable.  Guess we will never know

  • Plus1 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, StPaulHusker said:

So how does a coach not get his own recruit to not buy in?

By benching him bc someone else is better

  • Plus1 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Ziebol said:

And continued to regress each game.....

The whole team regressed

 

 

Just now, Frott Scost said:

By benxhing him bc someone else is better

The coach, i would assume, explained that culture to the recruit before accepting his commitment

  • Plus1 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sorry to see Bell go.  This gives me cautious optimism that Ozigbo is looking good in practice and Mo Washington must be something special and Bell sees the writing on the wall.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don’t not understand what’s going on with these guys. You fall in depth chart you should fight your way up to the top not jump ship because things got hard for you. I don’t get it 

  • Plus1 4
  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Saunders said:

Well I like ice cream, lol.

 

Still, new regime, plus the new RS rule is just making things weird.

 

Me too

 

And I can't, respectfully, agree to the "new regime angle.  It was the regime Bell committed to.

  • Plus1 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, StPaulHusker said:

The whole team regressed

 

 

The coach, i would assume, explained that culture to the recruit before accepting his commitment

 

The recruit probably didnt think it would actually happen because hes too good and then couldnt handle it when it actually happened

  • Plus1 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@Mavric posted some good stats that showed that his Yards Per Carry stats were actually really decent against Colorado and Troy. I'm not sure how anybody can say "Good riddance" on this one. 

We hadn't played nearly enough football yet.

This one is really surprising here, and definitely sucks.

  • Plus1 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, StPaulHusker said:

Not so much in the last game.

True. Although there are reports of him getting reps this week in practice and Held said all three were going to see time

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What I don't understand in any of this...Why do guys feel that their situations have been enhanced by this 4 game rule? In the case of Bell and Lindsey, they are both incredibly, moronic decisions. The outside advice they are getting is really bad. 

  • Plus1 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, talaricohusker said:

I don’t not understand what’s going on with these guys. You fall in depth chart you should fight your way up to the top not jump ship because things got hard for you. I don’t get it 

 

Yeah this is bizarre seeing that there are plenty of RB reps to go around.  Very strange.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Vince R. said:

What I don't understand in any of this...Why do guys feel that their situations have been enhanced by this 4 game rule? In the case of Bell and Lindsey, they are both incredibly, moronic decisions. The outside advice they are getting is really bad. 

I'm not sure anyone believes their situation has been enhanced.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well he did come in expecting to be the starter. He was technically demoted this week. The 2019 class keeps growing!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, StPaulHusker said:

So how does a coach not get his own recruit to not buy in?

 

Invariably there is one apple, that when placed with the good fruit, can spoil the bunch. So to answer your question, he may have been influenced more by others, morso than the coaching staff. 

 

Its more likely, that he could see the players in his group, passing him up, and his future playing time shrinking.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

At most, he looked like the 3rd best RB on the team, behind Ziggy Stardust and Space Cowboy. 

 

Maybe that's what set him off? That he didn't have a cool nickname. 

  • Plus1 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Vince R. said:

What I don't understand in any of this...Why do guys feel that their situations have been enhanced by this 4 game rule? In the case of Bell and Lindsey, they are both incredibly, moronic decisions. The outside advice they are getting is really bad. 

Yeah I don’t think they, or hell anyone at this point, understands that the 4 game rule only really benefits grad transfers or those staying at the school and actually redshirting. 

  • Plus1 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, StPaulHusker said:

He had 100 yards rushing in his first husker game despite a bad OL and you saw nothing?

 

6 minutes ago, Undone said:

@Mavric posted some good stats that showed that his Yards Per Carry stats were actually really decent against Colorado and Troy. I'm not sure how anybody can say "Good riddance" on this one. 

We hadn't played nearly enough football yet.

This one is really surprising here, and definitely sucks.

 

There are lots of players who look good on paper but don't hold up on film. Bell was definitely one of those, he was unpolished and a work in progress. But a promising one, this is a shame.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, TAKODA said:

 

Invariably there is one apple, that when placed with the good fruit, can spoil the bunch. So to answer your question, he may have been influenced more by others, morso than the coaching staff. 

 

Its more likely, that he could see the players in his group, passing him up, and his future playing time shrinking.

Ozigbo is a senior

Wilbon isn't on the active roster

Washington shows flashes but isn't even close to being great 

Mazour gets a lot of hype for rarely seeing the field

And then you have players committed who aren't even on the team yet.

 

Who, exactly, was he afraid of getting passed by?

  • Plus1 8

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, TAKODA said:

 

Invariably there is one apple, that when placed with the good fruit, can spoil the bunch. So to answer your question, he may have been influenced more by others, morso than the coaching staff. 

 

Its more likely, that he could see the players in his group, passing him up, and his future playing time shrinking.

Agree here, you can't hit on them all. This stuff happens with every team and with every recruiting class. It's just an easier and lazier narrative to think the sky is falling and the staff has lost control.

  • Plus1 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, StPaulHusker said:

Ozigbo is a senior

Wilbon isn't on the active roster

Washington shows flashes but isn't even close to being great 

Mazour gets a lot of hype for rarely seeing the field

And then you have players committed who aren't even on the team yet.

 

Who, exactly, was he afraid of getting passed by?

You should try asking him that question. None of us know that answer. Some kids just want to be the bell cow and when he got beat out he left. It's as simple as that. 

  • Plus1 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Someone explain this 4 game RS rule to me again.  What's the point of playing 4 games, then deciding, to transfer?   The player will still miss next season, right?   So, why not play the season, transfer for spring ball and use the RS next year?   I get playing 4 games and shutting it down if you are not transferring, but this way of playing 4 games and then deciding to transfer seems like you are losing 2 years then.

  • Plus1 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Seemed to run tentative since he fumbled on the first drive of the season. Hate to lose depth and find his decision to leave rather bizarre. 

  • Plus1 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Cdog923 said:

At most, he looked like the 3rd best RB on the team, behind Ziggy Stardust and Space Cowboy. 

 

Maybe that's what set him off? That he didn't have a cool nickname. 

Washington had a solid game against Troy but wasn't exactly lighting it up vs Colorado or Michigan.  I wouldn't say Bell was at most 3rd string just yet

  • Plus1 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×