Greg Bell

5 hours ago, talaricohusker said:

I don’t not understand what’s going on with these guys. You fall in depth chart you should fight your way up to the top not jump ship because things got hard for you. I don’t get it 

Ya, me either.  I swear, some of these kids today, it would seem like, expect everything handed to them.  I think it stems from this generation constantly being told, individually by their parents, just how special and talented they are.  They grow up with that entitled mindset and can't deal with it when things get difficult.

Was just thinking about this on my way home from work: Devine Ozigbo has moved into my all-time, top ten, Nebraska RBs because he just keeps plugging away.  When he was a freshman, he played some then got passed on the depth chart by other RBs and he kept working.  Through his sophomore and junior years, same thing.  But now, as a senior, it looks like this is finally his time to shine.  He never complained publically, he never quit, he just kept working.  Mad respect for Oz.  

• Plus1 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Fire 2

Probably didn't like Oz being the sole back.  This stinks.  I thought he was a pretty solid rb.  Huskers could have used him especially this year but if he didn't feel it was a fit then maybe it's best for both parties.  The less locker room turmoil the better but on the surface it appears this was no ill will towards any of the other rb's or guys on the team at least one hopes.  Maybe just the coaches decision on who was going to get the touches. 

2 hours ago, StPaulHusker said:

I am 100% in support of Frost being the coach of the Huskers.  But it doesn't make every decision he makes a perfect one.  And there should be nothing wrong with criticizing a decision.

In addition, it can't ALL be on the player every time.  At some point, something has to be the responsibility of the coach.

You do realize those rankings include defensive players too, right?

Yeah, you can definitely support Frost and want him to be successful, but still point out issues. A 0-4 team has some issues to work out, for sure.

My only gripe in your approach to this topic @StPaulHusker is that you say it may not be the player's lack of buy-in, effort, ability, decision-making, etc that led to his departure but rather it is the fault of the staff. However, after 6 pages of discussion (so far), you have not provided an argument that outlines how it is the fault/responsibility of the staff that a player chose to leave.

In this case, your argument thus far is simply "blame the coaches".

• Plus1 4
  • Fire 1
19 minutes ago, Making Chimichangas said:

Was just thinking about this on my way home from work: Devine Ozigbo has moved into my all-time, top ten, Nebraska RBs because he just keeps plugging away.  When he was a freshman, he played some then got passed on the depth chart by other RBs and he kept working.  Through his sophomore and junior years, same thing.  But now, as a senior, it looks like this is finally his time to shine.  He never complained publically, he never quit, he just kept working.  Mad respect for Oz.  

I believe Frost wants a roster full of guys with Zig's attitude.

50 minutes ago, lo country said:

Interesting take.  

Weak sauce if Mills coming in is the reason.  He hasn't even stepped foot on campus yet.  I'm sure Bell heard Duval tell the players that their job is to get better and the coaches job is to bring in more talented players than them.  Maybe Bell didn't understand the message.

56 minutes ago, Thanks_Tom RR said:

Yeah, you can definitely support Frost and want him to be successful, but still point out issues. A 0-4 team has some issues to work out, for sure.

My only gripe in your approach to this topic @StPaulHusker is that you say it may not be the player's lack of buy-in, effort, ability, decision-making, etc that led to his departure but rather it is the fault of the staff. However, after 6 pages of discussion (so far), you have not provided an argument that outlines how it is the fault/responsibility of the staff that a player chose to leave.

In this case, your argument thus far is simply "blame the coaches".

I just think there are 2 responsible parties to a player transferring.  The amount for each varies by situation.  But people seem to only want to discuss one side while the other gets a pass

I think decisions the coach has made has pushed back the recovery of this program farther out than anyone realizes and I hope I’m wrong in that thought.  

Thats all I’m going to say about it anymore.  

• Plus1 4
5 minutes ago, StPaulHusker said:

I think decisions the coach has made has pushed back the recovery of this program farther out than anyone realizes and I hope I’m wrong in that thought.  

Bro you are crazy......and yes you are wrong

• Plus1 2
  • Fire 2

I really hate to see him leave. Thought he could get a lot of touches this season. We are going to see some much tougher D's down the road than a Purdue team. Oz is going to need to keep on showing what he did last week, and it's not going to be easy this week. Bell would have gotten some playing time, this week I would think. 

Best of luck to Bell. Wish he would have toughed it out.

GBR!!!

3 hours ago, InOmaha said:

I'd rather be 4-8 then 0-12.  But it's not like some recruit will think, "I'd sure go there if they were only 4-8".  So far our 4 losses this year look better then our last 4 losses last year.  4 losses is still 4 losses.  4-8 with a downward trajectory is worse then 0-12 with an upward trajectory.  The sight test is a better determining factor than comparing 2 really bad records.

I wonder whatever happened to "coach must improve the record in year one".

• Plus1 3
  • Fire 1
39 minutes ago, StPaulHusker said:

I just think there are 2 responsible parties to a player transferring.  The amount for each varies by situation.  But people seem to only want to discuss one side while the other gets a pass

Dude. :) This is a really bad non-answer. I am honestly curious what evidence is there that puts blame on this staff for Bell's departure. Is there anything?

• Plus1 2
4 minutes ago, Thanks_Tom RR said:

Dude. :) This is a really bad non-answer. I am honesty curious what evidence is there that puts blame on this staff for Bell's departure. Is there anything?

Ultimately that choice is going to go to the player but I’d think Frost or Held would try to at least show Bell the damage he’s doing to himself by leaving now. 

Especially if we are going withthe “Frost is trying to be honest with the kids” line that cropped up with Gebbia

• Plus1 1
13 minutes ago, Thanks_Tom RR said:

Dude. :) This is a really bad non-answer. I am honestly curious what evidence is there that puts blame on this staff for Bell's departure. Is there anything?

I never said that Bell’s departure was the fault of the staff.  My comment was about people in here ONLY blaming the player for leaving and asking if the coach has ANY responsibility for any of the players leaving

• Plus1 2
30 minutes ago, StPaulHusker said:

Yes, each one of these cases is attributable to both the player and the coach(es) in assignable shares. In a perfect world the coach should set reasonable standards and assure compliance with those standards. And the player is responsible for his effort and complying with the standards of the team. Where is your evidence that these departures are anything less than the players not doing or not wanting to do what is being required?

You state that Frost has pushed back the recovery of this program. How? Why? Things were not and have not been right in this program for a long time. I don't understand how a seemingly knowledgeable person can look at what's been happening and leap to the conclusion that this is somehow a fault or failure of the new coach who inherited this sh#t sandwich. IMO no turnover and no departures would simply signal more of the same lackadaisical attitude and piss poor coaching that we've been shackled with for far too long. Reading between the lines, one can only assume you were happy with the status quo and don't feel things need to be shook up. This isn't a case of people being willing to turn a blind eye towards anything questionable this new staff might do. It's a case of you and a few (very few) others failing to acknowledge that a fair amount of rebuilding is required and, for God knows what reason, choosing to want to blame the new staff for every conceivable problem. Or possibly it is just you wanting to be contrary for some unknown reason. Really it's bordering on ludicrous. And "bordering" is being overly generous.

• Plus1 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Mavric changed the title to Greg Bell