Greg Bell

You know, this season has definitely not gone the way we wanted it to - even if we did have low expectations. But we have to keep the faith with frost.

One quote from an interview with Held, he says this: because they see it, and they see, I’m not playing, I’m going to play the guy that does it the right way, and you’re going to have to earn it. You’re going to hear me say it over and over again, but that’s how it’s going to be in my room.

That right there is the epitome of the culture they want. This is completely opposite of Riley. They want players that will work for a spot, not feel entitled to a spot. Even players Frost recruits will transfer because of entitlement beliefs. It is what it is today. 

That being said, Bell flat out said in an interview that he felt he earned the # 1 spot and still didnt get purdue week. Regardless of how good some of you think he is, we just cant have that type of player on our team - its not what they want. 

I holeheartedly believe Frost told him this wasnt the place for him. Frost has a vision. This team isnt it.  But he will get there. Have to keep the faith and believe in the coaches and vision.

• Plus1 2

2 hours ago, MountainMan said:

Ultimately that choice is going to go to the player but I’d think Frost or Held would try to at least show Bell the damage he’s doing to himself by leaving now. 

Especially if we are going withthe “Frost is trying to be honest with the kids” line that cropped up with Gebbia

Why would you assume they didn’t?

• Plus1 1
58 minutes ago, Kernal Corn said:

Here's a true fact, as the defenses got tougher Bell's production decreased just as Ozigbo's production increased. That has little to do with the coaching and quite a bit to do the players. Oz has been through this before and I am willing to bet his desire to excel was much greater than that of Bell. Each person handles adversity differently and Bell choose to quit and walk away. Good luck to Bell with his future.  

Except that Bell did better against the better run defenses and Oz had a big day against the worst one we faced.

But .... facts

• Plus1 4

Random thoughts 

Troy, CO, and Purdue all close to each other against the run (141, 156 and 162 rushing yards per game allowed, repectively)  MI clearly better at 86 per game. 

Bell's comments to ESPN about having "...earned the starting job and feel I have continued to work the same way but feel I am not being used to my fullest potential..." really punches the entitlement mentality card for me.  It appears to imply that once the starting position was earned, it was his and did not have to be earned each week. 

In terms of Coaching staff communication, I think they have communicated loudly and clearly, "All in, or all out.  You choose by how you practice."  

I don't care if the staff runs a bunch of players off if this is that attitude of the players that are leaving. 

• Plus1 2
11 hours ago, Vince R. said:

I hate to say it, but he's been a complete bust. He needs way too much to go right in order to produce. I know it is only 4 games but he worked himself into the 3rd spot very quickly.

Complete bust? Lol 

Haven't gone through this thread yet but this may be the quickest overreaction I heard.  Smdh

This is sooooo way off

14 minutes ago, drfish said:

Random thoughts 

Troy, CO, and Purdue all close to each other against the run (141, 156 and 162 rushing yards per game allowed, repectively)  MI clearly better at 86 per game. 

Bell's comments to ESPN about having "...earned the starting job and feel I have continued to work the same way but feel I am not being used to my fullest potential..." really punches the entitlement mentality card for me.  It appears to imply that once the starting position was earned, it was his and did not have to be earned each week. 

In terms of Coaching staff communication, I think they have communicated loudly and clearly, "All in, or all out.  You choose by how you practice."  

I don't care if the staff runs a bunch of players off if this is that attitude of the players that are leaving. 

He didn't even earn the starting position, at least not on the depth chart. Ozigbo always had an OR beside his name.

• Plus1 1
5 hours ago, 4skers89 said:

I believe Frost wants a roster full of guys with Zig's attitude.

You are correct because Coach Frost said exactly that in a recent press conference.  Well, to clarify, he said he wants a team full of warriors and Oz definitely fits that criteria.

One concern I do have though is how they will use Oz against Wisconsin and going forward.  I sure as hell hope they don't try to run outside zone with Oz agaimst the Badgers, because there is an extremely high probability it won't work.  Wisconsin is too tough and well disciplined on defense to get beat to the outside by Ozigbo.  Unless we somehow magically get the best blocking of the season from our OL, TE, and WRs.

Use Oz inside and mix other players RB/WRs for outside runs.  Put Oz and another back in the backfield so it isn't quite so obvious what might be coming based on personnel. 

(I am saying this like Frost doesn't know.  :lol:)

@StPaulHusker, here is what we know:

1. Greg Bell was the starter.

2. Greg Bell thought he had the #1 spot locked down.

3. Greg Bell got demoted.

4. Greg Bell announces he's leaving the team.

5. Greg Bell says, "...not being used to his full potential."

6. This coaching staff has been brutally honest and up-front with players about what the expectations are.  We hear it literally in every single press conference.

7. The message is clear: Players are merely renting that starting spot and rent is due every single day.

8. Team first.  Team second.  Team third.  Team fourth.  Individuals --> is the door.

9. The previous head coach ran a soft program with no accountability.  Coach Frost is changing this right before our eyes.  

Interesting that "not being used to his full potential" only came to light after he got demoted.

Personally, I don't like that Greg Bell left, but this clearly is a case where a player got mad for being demoted, and pulled a Cartman--took his ball and went home.

As far as your comment as to when coaches bear responsibility?  I say, year three contingent upon circumstances.  The sad reality is that players leave when they're not named the starter.  It happens all the time.  My guess, it went something like this:

Bell: Coach, I want to leave.  I thought I put in the work you required to keep my spot.

Frost: Stay and work harder.  Prove to us that you want to play.

Bell: Naw, Ima bounce.

Frost: Well okay, we'll release you from your scholarship.  Best of luck to you.

• Plus1 2
  • Thanks 4
  • Fire 3
1 minute ago, Making Chimichangas said:

@StPaulHusker, here is what we know:

1. Greg Bell was the starter.

2. Greg Bell thought he had the #1 spot locked down.

3. Greg Bell got demoted.

4. Greg Bell announces he's leaving the team.

5. Greg Bell says, "...not being used to his full potential."

6. This coaching staff has been brutally honest and up-front with players about what the expectations are.  We hear it literally in every single press conference.

7. The message is clear: Players are merely renting that starting spot and rent is due every single day.

8. Team first.  Team second.  Team third.  Team fourth.  Individuals --> is the door.

9. The previous head coach ran a soft program with no accountability.  Coach Frost is changing this right before our eyes.  

Interesting that "not being used to his full potential" only came to light after he got demoted.

Personally, I don't like that Greg Bell left, but this clearly is a case where a player got mad for being demoted, and pulled a Cartman--took his ball and went home.

As far as your comment as to when coaches bear responsibility?  I say, year three contingent upon circumstances.  The sad reality is that players leave when they're not named the starter.  It happens all the time.  My guess, it went something like this:

Bell: Coach, I want to leave.  I thought I put in the work you required to keep my spot.

Frost: Stay and work harder.  Prove to us that you want to play.

Bell: Naw, Ima bounce.

Frost: Well okay, we'll release you from your scholarship.  Best of luck to you.

Bell was CO #1 during at least the first 3 games. When did he become the starter?

• Plus1 1
1 minute ago, Moiraine said:

Bell was CO #1 during at least the first 3 games. When did he become the starter?

He was, to my recollect, the RB on the field at the first snap, so technically that makes him "the starter."  

And "Co #1" probably means starter for all intents and purposes.  After all, you don't put the #2, or Co #2, or even lower, on the field at the start of the game over the #1 or Co #1 do you?

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 1
4 minutes ago, Making Chimichangas said:

He was, to my recollect, the RB on the field at the first snap, so technically that makes him "the starter." 

I guess technically you're right. He was on the field first. But he was still CO #1 so if he thought he had the position locked down, he's an idiot. Ozigbo always had the CO next to his name. Bell took the first series snaps, but if he thought he'd won the job he must have just ignored that pretty important detail.

• Mavric changed the title to Greg Bell