Greg Bell

14 hours ago, admo said:

Complete bust? Lol 

Haven't gone through this thread yet but this may be the quickest overreaction I heard.  Smdh

This is sooooo way off

He HAS BEEN a complete bust. It’s not that he couldn’t have improved. In 4 weeks he went from starter to number 3... Greg was brought in to run away with the job, and showed that he wasn’t good enough to even be the number one.  I got to see him in person, and the first thing I noticed is that he needs a lot to go right on the line to make a play. The coaches even expressed their disappointment in a certain aspect of his ability. I don’t know about overreacting or being way off. The proof is in 4 games here at Nebraska. He can ball out somewhere else, but for now, his time on the field here has been very underwhelming.

• Plus1 1

1 hour ago, KingBlank said:

Ozigbo is the far superior back, Bell cost us multiple drives trying to dance for 1 yard instead of running for 1 yard.  Also facts

The first part is completely an opinion.  But you often confuse your opinions with facts.

I'd like to see a list of the plays you think fit your second statement.  I have a feeling it's pretty exaggerated.  And I also doubt you'll ever actually list the examples because it's more fun to make claims when you don't actually have to have proof.

• Plus1 2
14 hours ago, Making Chimichangas said:

@StPaulHusker, here is what we know:

1. Greg Bell was the starter.

2. Greg Bell thought he had the #1 spot locked down.

3. Greg Bell got demoted.

4. Greg Bell announces he's leaving the team.

5. Greg Bell says, "...not being used to his full potential."

6. This coaching staff has been brutally honest and up-front with players about what the expectations are.  We hear it literally in every single press conference.

7. The message is clear: Players are merely renting that starting spot and rent is due every single day.

8. Team first.  Team second.  Team third.  Team fourth.  Individuals --> is the door.

9. The previous head coach ran a soft program with no accountability.  Coach Frost is changing this right before our eyes.  

Interesting that "not being used to his full potential" only came to light after he got demoted.

Personally, I don't like that Greg Bell left, but this clearly is a case where a player got mad for being demoted, and pulled a Cartman--took his ball and went home.

As far as your comment as to when coaches bear responsibility?  I say, year three contingent upon circumstances.  The sad reality is that players leave when they're not named the starter.  It happens all the time.  My guess, it went something like this:

Bell: Coach, I want to leave.  I thought I put in the work you required to keep my spot.

Frost: Stay and work harder.  Prove to us that you want to play.

Bell: Naw, Ima bounce.

Frost: Well okay, we'll release you from your scholarship.  Best of luck to you.

Probably the most accurate account possible, withou being a fly on the wall. +1 or trophy or whatever that represents.

We don't know if it was the coaches at all...….maybe players were questioning his ability to make the plays that count? The first sign I've seen of a back having the toughness needed in this league plus the ability to know where he's going and take it to the marker was Ozigbo in the last game. That's the closest I've seen to Ameer putting the team on his back. We'll need a bunch of those guys to compete in this league. Like an Iowa fan once said, this isn't the Big 8 anymore where you run over some patsies and go to the NC game by beating Oklahoma......we have four or five Oklahoma's now. We need a couple guys at every position.

1 hour ago, LumberJackSker said:

Did something happen to greg bell?

He started three games, then oz got hot and was named the number 1 th outright and that is not what Bell was promised so he left. At least that’s my take. Maybe the insiders on this board know more. Also, the four game allowance might have sped things up a bit 

• Thanks 1
1 hour ago, LumberJackSker said:

Did something happen to greg bell?

He passed away this morning following complications relating to Sudden Loss Of Wanted Speed (SLOWS).

kHPxj2F.jpg

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2
11 minutes ago, krc1995 said:

He started three games, then oz got hot and was named the number 1 th outright and that is not what Bell was promised so he left. At least that’s my take. Maybe the insiders on this board know more. Also, the four game allowance might have sped things up a bit 

Thats what i heard as well with all the anger i thought i must be missing something. Lol

6 minutes ago, DILLY said:

I'm calling my shot right now.....Maurice Washington will quit on Monday. Dont be shocked when it happens.

That would be the absolute dumbest thing he could do to his college career. The starter (currently, which could change even next week) is going to graduate. He easily stands to be the feature back next year if he keeps getting meaningful reps this year.

So I don't think he'll do that.

• Plus1 3
  • Mavric changed the title to Greg Bell