Greg Bell

10 minutes ago, LaunchCode said:

Lindsey's size isn't that big a limiting factor.  A lot of similar sized players have had highly productive college careers.  His speed and route running precision will be much bigger factors IMO.  

Honestly, I didn't think Lindsey was a very good football player during his time at NU.  Yes, it could change at Oregon State, but I don't see him ever being a major contributor there, either.

1 hour ago, LaunchCode said:

Lindsey's size isn't that big a limiting factor.  A lot of similar sized players have had highly productive college careers.  His speed and route running precision will be much bigger factors IMO.  

Honestly, I never really saw this speed he was supposed to have.  Maybe he wasn't going full speed?  Maybe effort was questionable?  So maybe in Corvallis he'll thrive?  :dunno

However, if Mike Riley didn't care that TL wasn't working out here, I doubt he'll require it at Oregon St.

34 minutes ago, Making Chimichangas said:

Honestly, I never really saw this speed he was supposed to have.  Maybe he wasn't going full speed?  Maybe effort was questionable?  So maybe in Corvallis he'll thrive?  :dunno

However, if Mike Riley didn't care that TL wasn't working out here, I doubt he'll require it at Oregon St.

I am sure Riley was used as a connection to get Lindsey to Oregon State, but keep in mind he’s not running the Oregon State program anymore. 

5 hours ago, Making Chimichangas said:

MR is not the coach at Oregon St..

There's not a coach we've had in the  bazillion years prior to SF who could survive coming in and preside over this number of players leaving without serious risk to his job.  Do you really believe MR could have drawn a hard line and stuck to it if Pelini players started bailing and kept his job after the first season? 

It's ok to recognize MR and SF were dealt entirely different hands.  Suggesting he let players slack off is a bit silly.  Right now SF has a huge pile of chips in front of him with the house ready to back him with more.  He has the green light to burn the house down if he wants.  Suggesting MR could have done anything remotely similar is a fantasy.  He had to actually attempt to motivate his players to work hard and give their best without the threat of an ax.

It remains to be seen if these players leaving will benefit us in the long run.  What it does immediately is buy the current coaches more time and a pretty good excuse for a lack of results on the field.  If things don't turn around in the next couple seasons, assistants will be the next sacrifices to buy more time. At this rate some may go much sooner than two years.

• Plus1 2
  • Fire 1
4 hours ago, LaunchCode said:

MR is not the coach at Oregon St..

There's not a coach we've had in the  bazillion years prior to SF who could survive coming in and preside over this number of players leaving without serious risk to his job.  Do you really believe MR could have drawn a hard line and stuck to it if Pelini players started bailing and kept his job after the first season? 

It's ok to recognize MR and SF were dealt entirely different hands.  Suggesting he let players slack off is a bit silly.  Right now SF has a huge pile of chips in front of him with the house ready to back him with more.  He has the green light to burn the house down if he wants.  Suggesting MR could have done anything remotely similar is a fantasy.  He had to actually attempt to motivate his players to work hard and give their best without the threat of an ax.

It remains to be seen if these players leaving will benefit us in the long run.  What it does immediately is buy the current coaches more time and a pretty good excuse for a lack of results on the field.  If things don't turn around in the next couple seasons, assistants will be the next sacrifices to buy more time. At this rate some may go much sooner than two years.

There is a lot of evidence Riley let kids slack off. Very little off season lifting, messy planes and locker rooms, a lot of standing around during practice, little player leadership or accountable culture. These aren't the only reasons we're struggling but they're a big part. 

• Plus1 8
15 hours ago, mwj98 said:

Aren't there tampering rules in place??? Im just being sarcastic, but cmon.  

One reason OSU is a transfer designation is they're on a quarter system that has their classes starting so late. The "Last Day to Add a Fall Term Course Online with Dept. Approval" was Oct 7th. So a transfer can use the 4 game red shirt rule, get enrolled, and start their transfer sit-out year. (At least that's how I understand it.)

• Plus1 1
  • Mavric changed the title to Greg Bell