Greg Bell

7 hours ago, Jeremy said:

There is a lot of evidence Riley let kids slack off. Very little off season lifting, messy planes and locker rooms, a lot of standing around during practice, little player leadership or accountable culture. These aren't the only reasons we're struggling but they're a big part. 

You missed the larger point I attempted to make.  Did kids slack off under MR?  Sure.  Have kids slacked off since SF took over?  Sure.  He's brought it up several times in fact in post game press conferences.  The difference is how each coach could go about dealing with that.  Suggesting both coaches are/were in the same position to deal with those issues is the silly part.

SF has a unique opportunity few HC's will ever have.  The right AD, fan, and booster support to draw a hard line and take his time and not have to worry about losing his job if he doesn't produce wins immediately.  We're betting the house if SF has free rein to do what he wants then things will get better eventually.  I expect they will.  How soon I don't know.  

2 hours ago, Gage County said:

One reason OSU is a transfer designation is they're on a quarter system that has their classes starting so late. The "Last Day to Add a Fall Term Course Online with Dept. Approval" was Oct 7th. So a transfer can use the 4 game red shirt rule, get enrolled, and start their transfer sit-out year. (At least that's how I understand it.)

If that's the case, there needs to be tweak in the rule.

• Plus1 1

11 hours ago, LaunchCode said:

It remains to be seen if these players leaving will benefit us in the long run.  What it does immediately is buy the current coaches more time and a pretty good excuse for a lack of results on the field.  If things don't turn around in the next couple seasons, assistants will be the next sacrifices to buy more time. At this rate some may go much sooner than two years.

Well there is both an immediate and potential long term benefit - we can recruit an extra guy for the 2019 class. Since none of us have a crystal ball, we won't know if:

A) That extra spot gets filled with anyone good.

-or-

B) If that spot that gets filled gives more of a benefit to the team than having Tyjon on the roster would have.

But, being able to up your 2019 class size is definitely a plus when a program is rebuilding.

18 hours ago, LaunchCode said:

MR is not the coach at Oregon St..

There's not a coach we've had in the  bazillion years prior to SF who could survive coming in and preside over this number of players leaving without serious risk to his job.  Do you really believe MR could have drawn a hard line and stuck to it if Pelini players started bailing and kept his job after the first season? 

It's ok to recognize MR and SF were dealt entirely different hands.  Suggesting he let players slack off is a bit silly.  Right now SF has a huge pile of chips in front of him with the house ready to back him with more.  He has the green light to burn the house down if he wants.  Suggesting MR could have done anything remotely similar is a fantasy.  He had to actually attempt to motivate his players to work hard and give their best without the threat of an ax.

It remains to be seen if these players leaving will benefit us in the long run.  What it does immediately is buy the current coaches more time and a pretty good excuse for a lack of results on the field.  If things don't turn around in the next couple seasons, assistants will be the next sacrifices to buy more time. At this rate some may go much sooner than two years.

The bolded...:facepalm: .:facepalm: .:facepalm: .:facepalm: .:facepalm:

There are SERIOUSLY not enough facepalms on the internet.

• Plus1 6
15 minutes ago, Making Chimichangas said:

The bolded...:facepalm: .:facepalm: .:facepalm: .:facepalm: .:facepalm:

There are SERIOUSLY not enough facepalms on the internet.

I tried to post many facepalms in another topic and discovered there is a limit to the # of facepalms you can post in one reply.

7 hours ago, teachercd said:

Riley is good at one thing...getting people to pay him a lot of money for doing a s#!t job.  I wish I had that skill.

I do a slightly more than mediocre job so if you want tips let me know.

• Mavric changed the title to Greg Bell