Greg Bell

If a player has any aspirations of getting to the NFL they won’t do it sitting on the bench . I don’t like them transferring but I understand it . Most teams  block players from going to division schools or rivals so I’m not sure I get the Oregon state thing since they are neither . Even IF all these players go to OSU, and win lots of games there,  I don’t see it having any effect on our program . 

1 hour ago, Big Red 40 said:

If a player has any aspirations of getting to the NFL they won’t do it sitting on the bench . I don’t like them transferring but I understand it . Most teams  block players from going to division schools or rivals so I’m not sure I get the Oregon state thing since they are neither . Even IF all these players go to OSU, and win lots of games there,  I don’t see it having any effect on our program . 

Any player losing his starting  spot and sitting the bench on an 0-5 college team due to productivity,  isn’t likely to have a bright future in the NFL .

• Plus1 1

I would rather he transfer to Oregon State, a team whose head coach is not likely to win anything, than him transferring to let say Wisconsin or Northwestern. I say let him go. To be honest, other than Tristan Gebbia, who we are not sure how good he really was, the other players were not getting it done in Nebraska and it is better for them to leave and try their luck elsewhere than ruin the team spirit by not buying in. I simply do not understand why FROST would care but I guess he is doing it on principle.

• Plus1 1

11 hours ago, Big Red 40 said:

If he can go to another school , get the starting spot and see lots of playing time he stands a much better chance of being noticed though . ? 

I guess in theory, yes. I’m a pretty big believer that it takes a unique combination of attributes to make it to the NFL. Athletes that possess those attributes typically start to flash them early in thier college careers. A guy that has flashed them enough to earn a starting gig at a major Div 1 school but then, for whatever reason, regresses enough to lose a starting gig did not have enough of those attributes, (height, weight, speed, etc) to keep him heads and tails above the backup, (which, again, the NFL only takes the best of the best,) so he’s already at that point a long shot for the NFL.  On top of that, if the guy is unwilling to work hard to improve and reclaim that top spot at a major school, he also is probably lacking the unrelenting drive needed to land on a million dollar roster. I guess what I’m saying is, true NFL talent wouldn’t ride pine, especially after earning the starting gig out of the gates as an underclass man on that roster.  Getting passed up means there are holes in his profile that need worked on, transferring away, at its core, means hes not willing to work to fix the deficiencies and prefer an easier road away from the competition. Almost never is that a recipe for an NFL athlete. 

13 minutes ago, kengel2 said:

Frost only closed the door until Monday. New transfer rules go into effect monday and that door will be wide open again.

Yea but is it possible for Bell to still enroll at OSU and be eligible to play next year? It would be a shame if restricting Bell for a week or so caused him to miss the window where he didn’t have to sit out next season.

38 minutes ago, 4skers89 said:

Yea but is it possible for Bell to still enroll at OSU and be eligible to play next year? It would be a shame if restricting Bell for a week or so caused him to miss the window where he didn’t have to sit out next season.

31 minutes ago, desertshox said:

the window closed like 5 days ago.

Yes, I believe the window for that has closed.  this rule really needs to be changed to not give schools on the quarter system an advantage.

• Plus1 1

• 5 months later...
45 minutes ago, huskerguy said:

I wonder what happened that he not only fell to a non power 5 team but that he also couldn’t get a scholarship.

Given what he put on film during his short time here, and the nature of his departure, I don't know why any team would be eager to give him a scholarship anymore, unfortunately.

• Mavric changed the title to Greg Bell