Is Scott Frost Following The Barry Alvarez Blueprint?

The parallels between SF's attempt to turnaround Nebraska and what Barry Alvarez did at Wisconsin are really intersting so far. I hadn't seen these posted yet this week so sorry if this is a duplicate.

https://hailvarsity.com/s/4977/barry-alvarez-nebraskas-not-that-far-away-from-a-turnaround

"I tried to explain to them that I was a no-nonsense coach and those that followed the program we gave them would win championships and those that didn't follow wouldn't be around very long," Alvarez recalled in an interview with Hail Varsity Radio host Chris Schmidt on Wednesday.

He was right on both counts. Alvarez said 52 players quit between January and the start of the season.

https://www.omaha.com/huskers/football/barry-alvarez-knows-how-to-turn-around-a-program-so/article_1476e67e-cd45-5152-b713-3830fe3598ba.html

Alvarez went just 1-10 in his first season as head coach at Wisconsin, and the Badgers followed that with two more losing seasons. Wisconsin finally broke through in 1993, going 10-1-1 with a Rose Bowl victory.

Honestly, if we have to lose 50+ players this year and suffer through a 1-11 season in order to get Nebraska back it's worth it. It worked for Barry who took what he learned from playing at Nebraska. Frost is doing the same, so maybe the two turnarounds have a lot in common.

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 5
  • Fire 1

Ironically, Frost is following the NU template that Barry followed to turn Wisky around.  You have to break some eggs to make an omelet.  I think we are starting to see the effects of Frost putting words into action.  Some players wont like it. IIRC, he dismissed several kids when he first got to UCF.  There's more bumps to come, but the results will be worth it.

Good article.  

• Plus1 2

It is a good parallel and the sooner all the fan base pulls their heads out of 1960-2001 and realize we are not that program anymore and we have a rebuild on our hands not a 1 year reload the easier things will be for people to be patient. Some fans need to chill and not over analyze every single word and action and just let the process play out over a few years and I think year by year things begin to resemble huskers of old again. Patience is hard but I trust in Frost

• Plus1 1

*Standard Wisconsin Disclaimer - I'd trade the past seven years of our program's history for Wisconsin's in a heartbeat, etc.

I hope there aren't too many parallels because the "Barry Alvarez Blueprint" never involved hauling in Top 20 recruiting classes to actually scratch through to the top tier that wins national championships.

• Plus1 3

4 minutes ago, Undone said:

*Standard Wisconsin Disclaimer - I'd trade the past seven years of our program's history for Wisconsin's in a heartbeat, etc.

I hope there aren't too many parallels because the "Barry Alvarez Blueprint" never involved hauling in Top 20 recruiting classes to actually scratch through to the top tier that wins national championships.

Combination of Barry Alvarez turnaround and TO championships then? haha

2 hours ago, Scratchtown said:

In this day and age would Scott Frost survive a 1-11 season with two more losing seasons to follow before the turnaround? 

I would stick with Frost even if it took 7+ years. I can't speak for anyone else, however.

Moos is the guy who ultimately decides this stuff, and he seems to be on board with the 'be patient and let things build' school of thought. IIRC it was his idea to give Frost a 7-year contract, not something Frost requested.

5 minutes ago, Toe said:

Moos is the guy who decides how patient we should be, and he seems to be on board with the 'be patient and let things build' school of thought - IIRC it was his idea to give Frost a 7-year contract, not something Frost requested.

Moos has to be don't you think? Moos pushed all in wiylth his chips. Fairly easy bet imo. Win big or go home.

• Plus1 2
4 hours ago, Scratchtown said:

In this day and age would Scott Frost survive a 1-11 season with two more losing seasons to follow before the turnaround? 

I would stick with Frost even if it took 7+ years. I can't speak for anyone else, however.

Good point. I know I would still be with him. But its true, I mean you even have people now on social media that are calling for his head

I think he would get the time though. I think our admin understands its going to be a longer process. At least I hope anyway

I refuse to contemplate how a coach could survive 3 straight losing seasons.  Especially Frost, who was hired with high expectations of a quick turnaround.

I do agree with Alvarez that Martinez is a gifted QB, though.  Which is one of many reasons 3 straight losing seasons would be ridiculous.

• Plus1 3
33 minutes ago, The Dude said:

I refuse to contemplate how a coach could survive 3 straight losing seasons.  Especially Frost, who was hired with high expectations of a quick turnaround.

I do agree with Alvarez that Martinez is a gifted QB, though.  Which is one of many reasons 3 straight losing seasons would be ridiculous.

we need stability in the program, not hire another Mike Reily. just so we can say we made another change.

I do not see us having 3 years of losing seasons. Next year we will have another year of S&C and Nutrition with these guys on the roster as well as another class of guys recruited to run our schemes. By year 3 I expect us to be pretty dang solid. I am also willing to give Scott the full 7 on his contract barring he doesnt go 0-12 for 3 years.