Be prepared for things to get even worse.

28 minutes ago, Moiraine said:

Yes, they do.

But the offense has also had lots of problems that prevented them from scoring more. I would say they take about equal blame for Colorado and Troy.

Agreed, but I think we both agree when we have over 500 yards of total offense in the past two games and we still don't win........the defense is killing us there. But our O-line is playing terrible right now too so I get what you're saying for sure. 

I guess this is the best thread to ask this....because it's so bad.

What the hell happened to the defense since what we saw in the Colorado game?  I know, they had their periods in that game of not looking dominating.  But,, for at least a quarter, they were on fire against a team that (say what you will about their schedule) are 5-0.....so they are at least fairly decent.

I'm just baffled at the total tanking of the defense since that game.

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 1
14 hours ago, BIGREDIOWAN said:

Agreed, but I think we both agree when we have over 500 yards of total offense in the past two games and we still don't win........the defense is killing us there. But our O-line is playing terrible right now too so I get what you're saying for sure. 

There are a lot of good points here, but let's focus on two true things you've said:

1 - We have over 500 yards of offense in the past two games.  That's amazing, especially with two 500 yard games against top 20 teams (Wiscy & Colorado).

2 - Our O-Line is playing terrible right now. They are, at least part of the time. Imagine how scary this offense could be if the line figured out their [stuff]. 

I hate that the defense is struggling, and they are holding us back.  But it's at least partly positive that we've gotten such good production out of this offense in only five games.  That's a quicker turnaround than I expected.

15 minutes ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

I think our offense actually has some swagger. Earned swagger. Cut back on the penalties and turnovers and they could even go full swagger. 

That's what makes defense and special teams so glaring. 

Penalties, at a minimum, kept nine to 24 potential points off the board vs. Wisconsin. We got moved out of FG range three times, and the way our offense was going, those FG-range possessions could have potentially been turned into TDs. 

It would be via shootouts, but this team could win six games if they just cleaned up the f*****g penalties on the O-Line and let the current defense and special teams ride. 

If we have to ride our offense to wins, then the offense would have swagger. 

• Plus1 1
25 minutes ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

Cut back on the penalties and turnovers and they could even go full swagger. 

I went back and looked for my own benefit.  The turnovers were:

Colorado - 3

Troy - 3

Michigan - 2

Purdue - 1

Wisconsin - 1

So, it's possible the "ball protection"  preaching is kicking in.  I know against Wisconsin especially, we could have had a number more.  But, we didn't.  

To me, the biggest issue over the last 2-3 games have been the penalties.

2 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

I went back and looked for my own benefit.  The turnovers were:

Colorado - 3

Troy - 3

Michigan - 2

Purdue - 1

Wisconsin - 1

So, it's possible the "ball protection"  preaching is kicking in.  I know against Wisconsin especially, we could have had a number more.  But, we didn't.  

To me, the biggest issue over the last 2-3 games have been the penalties.

It's not exactly a secret. Nebraska is ranked #128 in penalties (only Kent State is worse) and #118 in scoring defense. 

I’m not sure the Wisconsin game , especially the second,  half was a good measure of our d-line . Wisconsin uses a slow grinding type of offense , and gigantic linemen to wear defenses out , it’s what they do . I thought the first half was respectable but second half out guys were tired and we lack the depth to rotate in fresh bodies, so the wheels started coming off .  I don’t think we’ll play another O line like that other than OSU so the d will look a little better . 

1 hour ago, BigRedBuster said:

I guess this is the best thread to ask this....because it's so bad.

What the hell happened to the defense since what we saw in the Colorado game?  I know, they had their periods in that game of not looking dominating.  But,, for at least a quarter, they were on fire against a team that (say what you will about their schedule) are 5-0.....so they are at least fairly decent.

I'm just baffled at the total tanking of the defense since that game.

The biggest issue has been our ineffectiveness at getting off the field on 3rd downs. I don't know if we changed up the scheme or what, but we still get teams in 3rd and long. We just get zero pressure on 3rd down. I don't know if we're bringing as much pressure anymore, and unfortunately Gifford hasn't been nearly as effective as he was against CU. He can't seem to get off blocks now. Also, loosing Mick has probably hurt the heavy rotation we had going. Meaning guys were getting worn out against Wiscy.

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 1

On 10/7/2018 at 1:47 PM, grandpasknee said:

I'll say this, just my opinion.  Going 4 - 8 with Mike R as head coach is still worse than this year.  Last year and the aftermath in terms of attitude and lack of development make it the worst I've ever felt about Husker Football in my 61 years.  Being 0-5 right now, and regardless of our record at the end of the season, it will be better simply because Scott Frost is head coach.  It is getting better, regardless of short term records.

Now, in the longer range, big picture.  Scott may not be able to get this turned around to the point where we've all dreamed it would, and should go.  But he is here, and I'm equally convinced that if he can't get it done, it won't get done.

When we entered basic Army training, everyone of us was a swaggering, confident swinging dick.  For the next five weeks we progressively became scum, maggots and whale-stuff (which is at the bottom of the ocean).  But, by the end of eleven weeks we could walk through walls, face any threat and had more swagger than one can imagine.

I totally agree with this post. I have to admit I was a Mike Riley fan at the beginning, and will say I still like the man, not the coach.  I could never say that about the prior coach.  I have liked Scott Frost since he played here.  Have watched him quite a bit and personally know the great running back from the Brawley area he recruited (Gawd can not think of his name)  He is one of my employees nephew.  He idolized Coach Frost, as does his family.  And truly believe if he can't fix this mess, it is never going to be.  I don't expect NC but a CC every so often would make me very happy.  If he can get us to the Elite level of college football in my life time (71) I will die a happy man.  

As to boot camp, well it took me about ten seconds standing in the yellow foot prints, going how in the hell am I going to get through 16 weeks of this crap.  I knew I was a maggot, but had no idea my mother was such a low life.  I learned that in about the first 20 seconds.  Never regretted it, after it was over.  Thanks for your service gandpasknee.

9 hours ago, skersfan said:

I totally agree with this post. I have to admit I was a Mike Riley fan at the beginning, and will say I still like the man, not the coach.  I could never say that about the prior coach.  I have liked Scott Frost since he played here.  Have watched him quite a bit and personally know the great running back from the Brawley area he recruited (Gawd can not think of his name)  He is one of my employees nephew.  He idolized Coach Frost, as does his family.  And truly believe if he can't fix this mess, it is never going to be.  I don't expect NC but a CC every so often would make me very happy.  If he can get us to the Elite level of college football in my life time (71) I will die a happy man.  

As to boot camp, well it took me about ten seconds standing in the yellow foot prints, going how in the hell am I going to get through 16 weeks of this crap.  I knew I was a maggot, but had no idea my mother was such a low life.  I learned that in about the first 20 seconds.  Never regretted it, after it was over.  Thanks for your service gandpasknee.

Thanks back at you skersfan.

On ‎10‎/‎7‎/‎2018 at 11:36 PM, BIGREDIOWAN said:

I don't agree with the bolded.  You could insert 1000 for 500 and it still wouldn't change anything.  All the yards in the World mean very little if you're not getting points.  It was the offense that killed us in the first quarter against Wisconsin, not the defense.  The defense gave up one long sustained drive that resulted in a field goal for Wisconsin.  The offense ran a whopping 7 plays and gained around 26 yards in the first quarter.  The defense after the long drive pretty much stopped Wisconsin in their tracks their next two possessions only to watch the offense trot out there, burn almost zero time off the clock, and gain almost zero yards.  Then, you combine that with two extremely poor punts on special teams putting the defense in a pretty rough spot and it results in a tired defense giving up big chunk plays in the second quarter.