Reffing

A friend sent me a screenshot from a Robin Washut post, said the staff sent in about 16 plays last week after Purdue and the response from the league was that 8 of the calls were incorrect against Nebraska. 

I don’t remember specifics as I was just a little guy in the early 90s, but leading up to Nebraska’s run, I remember hearing how bad Nebraska would get hosed on calls and had to play through it. I don’t expect us to get any favors, even when we start to become a disciplined team. 

There were legit calls and then there were several blatant bad calls and no calls as @Born N Bled Red has referenced. It’s not why they’ve lost games, but it’s killed momentum. 

The refs for the Michigan game were just as bad but they didn’t ruin any outcome of the game, they legit stunk on both sides of the ball. The no call on the Michigan punt return face mask...they didn’t throw the flag until immediately following the replay on the vision board in the stadium. They literally watched the replay and then called the flag. The “safety” was abhorently awful. And there was also the review on targeting when the Michigan defender stuck JD with one of the cleanest tackles, like Nate Gerry’s in the bowl game against UCLA. 

• Plus1 2

The refs wouldn't be able to make us win a game if they tried, and they certainly are not making us lose games.  I get pissed at them too.. but officiating is being vilified in all sports world wide from the NBA to soccer to tennis to the NCAA etc and always has been. 

We need sound reasoning as to our plight of having become the joke of the Big 10, and perhaps of NCAA football in general.  Even people on the Missouri Tiger board are expressing shock (along with a bit of glee) at what's happened to our program up here. 

i keep trying to come up with this or that real reason, and I keep reading around for insight.  The ref thing has to be about the thinnest of all as to reasons. 

Maybe the outcome wouldn't have changed, but an additional 7-10 points would have helped the psyche of our team tremendously. You could remove 14 points off the board for Wisconsin if the proper call was made on them. I don't know how a team gets away with some much hands to the face, and offensive line holding.

Just now, Vince R. said:

Maybe the outcome wouldn't have changed, but an additional 7-10 points would have helped the psyche of our team tremendously. You could remove 14 points off the board for Wisconsin if the proper call was made on them. I don't know how a team gets away with some much hands to the face, and offensive line holding.

Wisconsin does a great job of "holding within the interior of the defender".  Sometimes if the defenders work harder and make an effort to release themselves from the hold, the holding becomes apparent to the referees.  I think they also get the benefit of the doubt from the refs as they are known for being a great o-line.

4 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

Wisconsin does a great job of "holding within the interior of the defender".  Sometimes if the defenders work harder and make an effort to release themselves from the hold, the holding becomes apparent to the referees.  I think they also get the benefit of the doubt from the refs as they are known for being a great o-line.

You're right. Did you see that blatant facemask on Gifford? I think the clip is floating around twitter. It was bad.

20 hours ago, Thanks_Tom RR said:

How is this not PI on #43 Wisconsin?

giphy.gif

That would be an illegal contact foul in the NFL but I believe in college you only get pass interference once the ball is in the air.

Plus I think there are relaxed rules once the QB scrambles out of the pocket which is probably why #43 goes and hits him once Martinez scrambles.

• Plus1 1
1 minute ago, Mavric said:

That would be an illegal contact foul in the NFL but I believe in college you only get pass interference once the ball is in the air.

Plus I think there are relaxed rules once the QB scrambles out of the pocket which is probably why #43 goes and hits him once Martinez scrambles.

The receiver is also within 5 yards, you can have contact prior to the pass within 5 yards.

2 minutes ago, Mavric said:

I was looking at when Martinez motions to move out of the pocket and when #43 started to break toward Ozigbo. It seems almost at the same time. #43 then hits Ozigbo while Martinez is still in the pocket (definitely still between the hashes) and motioning to throw to Spielman. I am surprised its not PI or some sort of illegal contact.

c. Defensive pass interference is contact beyond the neutral zone by a Team B player whose intent to impede an eligible opponent is obvious and could prevent the opponent the opportunity of receiving a catchable forward pass. When in question, a legal forward pass is catchable. Defensive pass interference occurs only after a legal forward pass is thrown
(A. R. 7-3-8-VII, VIII, XI and XII).
It is not defensive pass interference (A.R. 7-3-8-III and 7-3-9-III):
1. When, after the snap, opposing players immediately charge and establish contact with opponents at a point that is within one yard beyond the neutral zone.
2. When two or more eligible players are making a simultaneous and bona fide attempt to reach, catch or bat the pass. Eligible players of either team have equal rights to the ball (A.R. 7-3-8-IX).
3. When a Team B player legally contacts an opponent before the pass is thrown (A.R. 7-3-8-III and X).

Link (emphasis added)