Reffing

30 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

Right, and I think contact before the pass is thrown is even more liberal at the college level.

That is why Prince and Dennard struggled a bit to adapt to the NFL bc they were very physical with WR running their routes.  NFL you can jam at the line but after 5 yards it is hands off.  

21 hours ago, Vince R. said:

Maybe the outcome wouldn't have changed, but an additional 7-10 points would have helped the psyche of our team tremendously. You could remove 14 points off the board for Wisconsin if the proper call was made on them. I don't know how a team gets away with some much hands to the face, and offensive line holding.

Maybe because when that OL is moving downfield run blocking it’s nowhere near as obvious as when an offensive lineman is backing up pass blocking, gets beaten badly, and simply grabs the defender. 

Calls were bad both ways. I remember a defensive holding call on Wisconsin (I think in the 4th quarter) that was blantantly bad (defenders hand barely touched the jersey of our receiver) and kept a drive alive for us. 

Big 10 officials are just plain bad. And while they did miss some, the potential targeting of Morgan, the calls they made against us (outside of the block in the back) were usually correct.  We DO commit most of the penalties called on us. 

For as many calls that have gone against Nebraska, it seems like they could have called more. I remember replays in both the Colorado and Troy games showing Nebraska DBs clinging to receivers jerseys when they were getting beat, which was often, and those were unflagged. In the always controversial targeting and roughing calls, I think we got away with a few, including that blatant one against Colorado. I don't see any bias against Nebraska, but if you continue to play like the Oakland Raiders, maybe the refs start laying in wait. 

• Plus1 1

Also, someone on here had a conspiracy theory that the NCAA wants to get rid of the return game.

I thought that was pretty crazy, but then again.....how many kick and punt returns DON'T get flagged anymore?

NCAA and NFL the last couple weeks -- exciting returns but nobody is cheering because they see the flag that got dropped at the beginning of the run.

Always feel sorry for those return men when they reach the end zone, then turn around. 

6 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

I have a reffing question. 

Didnt it used to be the rule that if a receiver catches the ball and would have come down in bounds....but the defender hits him out of bounds before he can touch the ground.....it’s considered a catch?

The force-out rule? I think they got rid of that a while ago. I remember it more in the nfl though

12 hours ago, Mavric said:

Except that illegal contact is an NFL rule, not a college rule

I've watched that play over and over, and I'm still not sure what to make of it.  While I realize the defender can bump or jam a receiver within five yards of the line of scrimmage, this typically applies at the beginning of the play.  In the play shown in the video, the contact was made within five yards of the line of scrimmage but was long after the play began.  It appears the defender also led with his helmet.  Unnecessary roughness could have been called.  What is so stupid about this play is the defender should have just held back baiting Martinez to check down to the RB because there were three defenders there ready to pounce.