Reffing

1 minute ago, Huskinator said:

Like matty said earlier.... they were called for 2 penalty’s all game.   One was picked up.....

he threw the ball 40 damn times.  Do you really think they didn’t hold on all 40 of those plays.   I’d really like to see the stat of holding calls to throwing attempts.... especially when the defense is blitzing like we did

All I know is that we average 10.4 penalties per game, and got called for 10 in this game.

NW averages 3.2 penalties per game, and got called for 2 (one got picked up) this game.

This is not statistically outside of the norm for either team.  But like I said, I'm sure there were missed calls, there always are. But I don't think it cost us the game and I think it is a bad look for the fans of an 0-6 team to be complaining about the reffing.

1 minute ago, PaulCrewe said:

No, the ball doesn’t have to cross the line of scrimmage when a receiver is in the area and both instances their were Wildcats receivers in the area.   

The ball crossing the LOS comes into play more when throwing it away out of bounds and when no receiver is around

The first one your right the rb had fallen down but was in the area the second one was iffy I'd have to see it again.

1 minute ago, Dbqgolfer said:

All I know is that we average 10.4 penalties per game, and got called for 10 in this game.

NW averages 3.2 penalties per game, and got called for 2 (one got picked up) this game.

This is not statistically outside of the norm for either team.  But like I said, I'm sure there were missed calls, there always are. But I don't think it cost us the game and I think it is a bad look for the fans of an 0-6 team to be complaining about the reffing.

I am not a fan of blaming refs usually, and we played not to lose down the stretch, but in such a close game like this one, I do feel the officiating had a significsnt impact.

7 minutes ago, LumberJackSker said:

The first one your right the rb had fallen down but was in the area the second one was iffy I'd have to see it again.

There was a wideout there

the thing with the first one and the cloudiness on a call like it, was the RB was never trying to run a rout or look for the ball.  He was buried by whoever blitzed there and luckily for them Thorsen got the ball near him

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, PaulCrewe said:

There was a wideout there

the thing with the first one and the cloudiness on a call like it, was the RB was never trying to run a rout or look for the ball.  He was buried by whoever blitzed there and luckily for them Thorsen got the ball near him

I was just about to comment something similar. Yes the RB was in the area, but he was lying on the ground, after whiffing on his block on the blitzer. Technically, he’s an eligible receiver, but the pass was thrown to avoid a sack. I thought it should have been grounding. 

5 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

I was just about to comment something similar. Yes the RB was in the area, but he was lying on the ground, after whiffing on his block on the blitzer. Technically, he’s an eligible receiver, but the pass was thrown to avoid a sack. I thought it should have been grounding. 

Well that's your opinion, but that's not the rule. These refs were trash but that was technically the right call. 

3 hours ago, ScottyIce said:

Any of you that are clamoring “we are being treated fairly” can go right to hell.

Flags were 13-1 today.

13-2 but they even picked one up against NW.

Northwestern is the least penalized team in the B1G at a little over 3 penalties per game. Going off of just the #s doesn't prove anything because there is not a statistically significant difference between these numbers and the numbers in the other games Northwestern plays. You have to look at individual instances of calls being missed or called incorrectly.

10 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

That isn't part of the rule though, and probably never will be because it adds too much subjectivity to the calls.

3 hours ago, ScottyIce said:

Any of you that are clamoring “we are being treated fairly” can go right to hell.

Flags were 13-1 today.

13-2 but they even picked one up against NW.

Screw off.

Were getting f#&%ed so hard.

That would be me. Nebraska isn't getting jobbed. We're making a lot of mistakes. Bad calls have gone both ways over the season.. The various teams of refs don't share a bias against Nebraska --- why would they? This is just something paranoid Nebraska fans invent every single year. I watched the whole game today, the ups and downs, the near win and the inability to close, and it never once occurred to me that Nebraska lost this game because the refs were against us. 

Screw off?

Grow up.

• Fire 1

1 minute ago, Moiraine said:

That isn't part of the rule though, and probably never will be because it adds too much subjectivity to the calls.

1) He passed the ball to avoid a sack.

2) The ball didn’t get back to the LOS.

Yes, the ball was in a vicinity of an eligible receiver, who was lying on the ground. It’s a subjective call, but there is plenty of subjectivity calls in penalties. 

1 minute ago, ColoradoHusk said:

1) He passed the ball to avoid a sack.

2) The ball didn’t get back to the LOS.

Yes, the ball was in a vicinity of an eligible receiver, who was lying on the ground. It’s a subjective call, but there is plenty of subjectivity calls in penalties. 

I think they try to limit calls that can be subjective though.

Anyhow, ya, it's obvious he was throwing it away. They could probably add an "uncatchable ball" rule to grounding. But I can see it leading to a lot of issues.

1 hour ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

That would be me. Nebraska isn't getting jobbed. We're making a lot of mistakes. Bad calls have gone both ways over the season.. The various teams of refs don't share a bias against Nebraska --- why would they? This is just something paranoid Nebraska fans invent every single year. I watched the whole game today, the ups and downs, the near win and the inability to close, and it never once occurred to me that Nebraska lost this game because the refs were against us. 

Screw off?

Grow up.

I didn’t mean screw off to anyone in general.

Listen, you’re right. But 13-1 speaks for itself. You have to swallow your whistle, or bury your flag a couple times for you to have that disparity. YOU HAVE TO. There is no ifs or buts about it. Nebraska is undisciplined no doubt, but no one else is near perfect. I watched the game too ya know...

1 hour ago, Moiraine said:

Northwestern is the least penalized team in the B1G at a little over 3 penalties per game. Going off of just the #s doesn't prove anything because there is not a statistically significant difference between these numbers and the numbers in the other games Northwestern plays. You have to look at individual instances of calls being missed or called incorrectly.

Not sure if you’re agreeing with me or not. I’m basically just saying there is no f#&%ing way NW had “1” flag today.

7 minutes ago, ScottyIce said:

Not sure if you’re agreeing with me or not. I’m basically just saying there is no f#&%ing way NW had “1” flag today.

I'm saying the # of penalties itself doesn't prove anything about bias against Nebraska in this case, because Northwestern is rarely flagged regardless of who they play.

There was a candidate in a state who said there had to be cheating because in one of the counties 0% of the people voted for him. Well, in all of the polls leading up to it, his support in that county was something like 1%. A 0% voted sounded crazy but it wasn't statistically significant.

What I don't disagree with is Nebraska probably gets more than its fair share of penalties, but that's because we make so many mistakes it probably gets into the referees' heads. Not making so many mistakes should go a long way to fix getting the extra penalties.