Reffing

10 minutes ago, Moiraine said:

I'm saying the # of penalties itself doesn't prove anything about bias against Nebraska in this case, because Northwestern is rarely flagged regardless of who they play.

There was a candidate in a state who said there had to be cheating because in one of the counties 0% of the people voted for him. Well, in all of the polls leading up to it, his support in that county was something like 1%. A 0% voted sounded crazy but it wasn't statistically significant.

What I don't disagree with is Nebraska probably gets more than its fair share of penalties, but that's because we make so many mistakes it probably gets into the referees' heads. Not making so many mistakes should go a long way to fix getting the extra penalties.

I don’t know that it’s fixable until..

A) Next season - fresh start

B) A reffing crew goes into a game without knowledge that N has been cracking 10 penalties a game.

The Oakland Raiders were the most penalized team for 10 straight years, mostly due to stigma or reputation.

There were at least 3 questionable calls near the end of the game that were borderline at absolute best but given to NW, those won them the game by extending dead drives. Nebraska was the better team today, it sort of pissed me off watching that. So an extreme row of "home field" advantage calls in the end, even though you could only pretty much hear Nebraska fans.

• Plus1 4

This game still burns me up from a lack of penalty calls on NW, specifically holding. Just for reference:

NW had an 11% increase in the number of offensive plays they ran on average.

A 30% increase in pass attempts from what they ran on average.

An 86% DECREASE in # of penalty yards from what they averaged.

I agree we suck, but that was a heist by the officials. 1 or 2 obvious holding calls late in that game would have made the difference. Instead they were focused on borderline tick tack crap Nebraska was doing.

• Plus1 4

1 hour ago, Born N Bled Red said:

Minnesota game, 

1. Uncalled defensive pass interference on what should have been a Bootle int.

16 minutes ago, Born N Bled Red said:

Uncalled illegal block on Gifford

39 minutes ago, Born N Bled Red said:

2. Uncalled obvious pass int. Against Morgan

Ok?

On 10/6/2018 at 5:16 PM, Born N Bled Red said:

The last two games, even though we didnt play well, the refs were pretty terrible with phantom penalties at key moments. What's the over under or terrible no calls on holds, phantom holding the reciever l, p.I., no calls on obvious p.i. against us, or b.s. roughing the passer on 3rd down incompletion calls? My bet, depends on how long we are un the game, I'm thinking we're in it until half time, so I'd say 5 terrible ref jobs leading to 10 Wisconsin points before half, pretty sure that' what it was against Purdue. Fornthe game 7 terrible ref calls leading to 17 points total, until we are safely out of the game and the refs start to balance it out with calls against Wiscy so the bias isn't QUITE that obvious.

The refs can't get it right because:

1.  The rules are so crazy now that it is nearly impossible to have an objective understanding of how they are to be applied. (Are we trying to ensure fairness in competition or actively engage in social engineering or simply trying to enrich the NCAA and by extension, the media and advertisers).

2. The reliance on and ultimate deference to the replay booth has allowed the officiating quality to lapse.  What's the need to make a timely correct call when neither timeliness nor your observation ultimately matter?

3.  Officials are calling many more penalties on punt returns, kickoff returns, and interception returns.  Are they just looking out for the blocking in the back more, or just not willing to allow them to play?  Is it because there are more striped shirts on the field?  I dunno, but would be cool if those inconsequential fouls would be disregarded, so the long runs would stand.  Way more exciting that way.

3 hours ago, FrankWheeler said:

They showed a stat early in the game that it was the first offensive holding call during a pass called against a Nebraska Big Ten opponent in 21 games, that is crazy.

I heard that on today's broadcast.  This is jaw dropping!  Is this for real...if so it would be very interesting to see how this compares across the rest of college football.  I wasn't really into the conspiracy theory before but if this stat is true then I have changed my mind...that is crazy.  To add to the theory I am wondering if Riley's nice guy, awe shucks they missed that call has emboldened these calls not to happen for us?  Pelini would have kicked their a$$ so maybe this is some weird payback against the program.  Not ready to put on the tin foil hat just yet but definitely think this should be looked at.  If we are at 21 games is the next program even half of that?   :bat

9 hours ago, chamrocck said:

I heard that on today's broadcast.  This is jaw dropping!  Is this for real...if so it would be very interesting to see how this compares across the rest of college football.  I wasn't really into the conspiracy theory before but if this stat is true then I have changed my mind...that is crazy.  To add to the theory I am wondering if Riley's nice guy, awe shucks they missed that call has emboldened these calls not to happen for us?  Pelini would have kicked their a$$ so maybe this is some weird payback against the program.  Not ready to put on the tin foil hat just yet but definitely think this should be looked at.  If we are at 21 games is the next program even half of that?   :bat

Well, one thing we know for sure is we have been called for holding on pass plays in almost every (maybe every) game, which means the other B1G teams have gone at most the # of games since they played us since their opponent was called for it. 

• Plus1 1