Jurgens to Center

26 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

Going off the guys that the staff is recruiting, they like a big, tall OT.  Jurgens at 6'3" doesn't quite fit that mold.  But, he could be a great center.

In the presser Frost mentioned their OL going 6'6 and 310 across the board and that we don't look like them.  I agree that Frost has a certain size they are looking for.

16 minutes ago, Savage Husker said:

Benning has been alluding to him as a tackle for over a year, mentioning his frame could easily convert to an athletic OL. Was a little surprised to hear Center but not about moving him to OL

If Jurgens is holding his own as scout team OT, I am sure the coaches are probably thinking "This guy can make his biggest impact as an o-linemen, but he doesn't have the size we like for tackle.  We have seen how much our offense struggles with poor center play, let's make Jurgens a center."

• Plus1 2
11 hours ago, ColoradoHusk said:

I like Henrich (especially as a Burke alum) but he’s not coming in and starting next year. Barry and Honas will be ahead of him.  

Maybe to start the season, but 7 and 3 aren’t exactly tackling machines at this point.  I can see Henrich passing one of them before the end of the season because of his football IQ and tackling ability. Just my opinion. 

12 hours ago, HuskermanMike said:

Desmond Bland will be the center for the next two years. This gives Jurgens a year to get big and get familiar with the position as well as play backup minutes. Where does this staff see Will Farniok since he was recruited as a center? 

@teachercd has a clutch source lol.

I can’t see Frost wasting two years of Jurgens ‘ eligibility. He’s just too talented to do that. 

1 hour ago, Moiraine said:

You have no idea if this is the case. The coaches have been talking about moving him since August or earlier because he keeps growing. He’s probably even bigger now.

And you have no idea if moving him to Center will work, either. That's why it's called "speculation". 

37 minutes ago, Cdog923 said:

And you have no idea if moving him to Center will work, either. That's why it's called "speculation". 

I'm not speculating on whether it will work or not. You are saying flat out it will work as well as Baker Steinkuhler at DT, which is often cited as being a bad decision because OLine was said to have been his natural place.

You're saying it's a bad decision, even though you have no idea whether it will work.

I'm waiting to see what happens, because I have no idea whether it will work.

• Plus1 5
21 minutes ago, Moiraine said:

I'm not speculating on whether it will work or not. You are saying flat out it will work as well as Baker Steinkuhler at DT, which is often cited as being a bad decision because OLine was said to have been his natural place.

You're saying it's a bad decision, even though you have no idea whether it will work.

I'm waiting to see what happens, because I have no idea whether it will work.

tenor.gif

• Plus1 2
  • Haha 2
  • Fire 2

18 hours ago, HuskermanMike said:

Desmond Bland will be the center for the next two years. This gives Jurgens a year to get big and get familiar with the position as well as play backup minutes. Where does this staff see Will Farniok since he was recruited as a center? 

@teachercd has a clutch source lol.

FWIW Bland recently said he'd prefer to play Guard vs Center here.