Jurgens to Center

10 minutes ago, Mavric said:

Sounds like Coach Frost and I have similar thoughts!!!  Don't underestimate the ability to snap the ball.  Farmer is a better blocker than Conrad, but he really struggles to snap the ball in the shotgun.  Pay attention to how he snaps the ball.  He doesn't snap it like a traditional long/medium snapper would.

4 minutes ago, Cdog923 said:

SMDH; dude hasn't played one snap at any of the line positions, and there's already comparisons to the guy whose name is on the trophy for "Best Center". 

I agree that the comparisons are WAY TOO EARLY, but it gives the reasons to why Frost is moving Jurgens to center.

4 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

Sounds like Coach Frost and I have similar thoughts!!!  Don't underestimate the ability to snap the ball.  Farmer is a better blocker than Conrad, but he really struggles to snap the ball in the shotgun.  Pay attention to how he snaps the ball.  He doesn't snap it like a traditional long/medium snapper would.

Are you talking about how he holds it?  I don't understand that either but that's apparently the thing to do now-a-days.  Conrad held it the same way and I've seen centers on other teams do the same.

• Plus1 1
17 minutes ago, Mavric said:

Are you talking about how he holds it?  I don't understand that either but that's apparently the thing to do now-a-days.  Conrad held it the same way and I've seen centers on other teams do the same.

Yeah, that's what I am talking about.  Maybe that is the new way to do it.  In the past shotgun snappers would typically snap it like a QB passing the ball through their legs.  To me, that would be more consistent.

53 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

Yeah, that's what I am talking about.  Maybe that is the new way to do it.  In the past shotgun snappers would typically snap it like a QB passing the ball through their legs.  To me, that would be more consistent.

Yeah, that's how I've always seen it as well.  Just in the last year or so have I noticed guys doing it differently.  Perhaps it's been going on longer than that but I've only noticed it recently.

• Plus1 1
1 hour ago, ColoradoHusk said:

I've seen lots of centers  snapping the ball the way Farmer does.  It's the new way of doing it.

• Plus1 1
31 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

I've seen lots of centers  snapping the ball the way Farmer does.  It's the new way of doing it.

44 minutes ago, Mavric said:

Yeah, that's how I've always seen it as well.  Just in the last year or so have I noticed guys doing it differently.  Perhaps it's been going on longer than that but I've only noticed it recently.

1 hour ago, ColoradoHusk said:

That's a dangerous way of doing it; if the tip of the ball gets caught in the turf, that's an instant fumble. 

• Plus1 1

6 minutes ago, Cdog923 said:

That's a dangerous way of doing it; if the tip of the ball gets caught in the turf, that's an instant fumble. 

I'll let coaches and players who know way more than me about it decide that.  The exact technique the center is taught to use is pretty low on my list of things to be concerned about.

1 minute ago, BigRedBuster said:

I'll let coaches and players who know way more than me about it decide that.  The exact technique the center is taught to use is pretty low on my list of things to be concerned about.

The only reason I say anything (other than this being a message board where we can talk about things like this, and many others) is that I played the position, and the intricacies can be important if you aren't executing them correctly. Case in point: Farmer had a number of snaps that were outside of the zone (i.e., high or low), to borrow a baseball term. 

13 minutes ago, Cdog923 said:

The only reason I say anything (other than this being a message board where we can talk about things like this, and many others) is that I played the position, and the intricacies can be important if you aren't executing them correctly. Case in point: Farmer had a number of snaps that were outside of the zone (i.e., high or low), to borrow a baseball term. 

My point is, since I've even seen a lot of NFL centers doing this, I'm guessing the technique chosen to use isn't the culprit here.

1 minute ago, BigRedBuster said:

My point is, since I've even seen a lot of NFL centers doing this, I'm guessing the technique chosen to use isn't the culprit here.

I don't doubt that; it seems like a more difficult technique to teach a new center rather than the tried and true method.