Jurgens to Center

Just now, Cdog923 said:

I don't doubt that; it seems like a more difficult technique to teach a new center rather than the tried and true method. 

When seeing the technique initially, I had two thoughts on possibly why they use it.

a)  It allows the center to be more upright (head higher) while still having the ball touch the ground.  This allows him to see the field better to do line calls and be higher allowing him to move quicker to start blocking.

and

b)  I'm guessing the QB's like how the ball is delivered to them.

And....I'm also guessing that teams have seen little to no negative affect with the change as far as accuracy of the snap.

• Fire 1

39 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

When seeing the technique initially, I had two thoughts on possibly why they use it.

a)  It allows the center to be more upright (head higher) while still having the ball touch the ground.  This allows him to see the field better to do line calls and be higher allowing him to move quicker to start blocking.

and

b)  I'm guessing the QB's like how the ball is delivered to them.

And....I'm also guessing that teams have seen little to no negative affect with the change as far as accuracy of the snap.

I've seen some teams snap it back sideways in the shotgun, too, which is probably more dangerous than the two ways we've been discussing. 

1 hour ago, BigRedBuster said:

My point is, since I've even seen a lot of NFL centers doing this, I'm guessing the technique chosen to use isn't the culprit here.

It is becoming more popular because it takes less technique and actually lowers the percentage of "bad snaps" because it sends a dead ball to the QB instead of a spiral that could sail away.   My 7th graders have much more consistent snaps doing it this way and actually seems to get to the QB quicker....

• Plus1 2
2 hours ago, knapplc said:

At the very bottom there is this tidbit that seems pretty pertinent:

Quick notes

***For all the excitement around Jurgens, he was seen on crutches with a walking boot following Wednesday’s practice. Beckton wouldn’t give any specifics on Jurgens’ injury.