Lacking Swagger

12 hours ago, MacNCheeze said:

i was wanting martinez to jump up and pop pads with the guy that tackled him.  Showing your not intimidated by anyone.

I don't think that's really in Martinez's personality to show emotion on the field like that, so you can't really blame him. 

Spielman, Martinez, Morgan, Ozigbo, and Washington say all they need to say with the plays they make. But our defense looks like they just don't want to be playing football in every single second half of the five games we've played so far. 

Take the names off the jersey's the area codes off their helmets.  Make them represent Nebraska.  I was so pissed after the Reed thing I walked out to the garage to calm down.  This group needs to learn what a team is.  Forget the big hit, make the tackle.  Do your job so others can do theirs.  

But I did see things on offense that shows there is a future.  I did not understand only 5 carries for ziggy.  

I am hoping for a win with BC coming to town, but the rest of them really look questionable.  Afraid going to Northwestern is going to be embarassing.

We now know who the real big red is, may learn who the real NU is next weekend.

We need to really dig deep and understand what Coach Frost is going thru.  He could be on top of the world right now with the way UCF is doing.  He chose to give it all up to come here, we need to stand behind him until he gets it squared away.  

• Plus1 2
16 minutes ago, skersfan said:

Take the names off the jersey's the area codes off their helmets.  Make them represent Nebraska.  I was so pissed after the Reed thing I walked out to the garage to calm down.  This group needs to learn what a team is.  Forget the big hit, make the tackle.  Do your job so others can do theirs.  

But I did see things on offense that shows there is a future.  I did not understand only 5 carries for ziggy.  

I am hoping for a win with BC coming to town, but the rest of them really look questionable.  Afraid going to Northwestern is going to be embarassing.

We now know who the real big red is, may learn who the real NU is next weekend.

We need to really dig deep and understand what Coach Frost is going thru.  He could be on top of the world right now with the way UCF is doing.  He chose to give it all up to come here, we need to stand behind him until he gets it squared away.  

Well said.  :thumbs

There are definitely a percentage of Husker fans who have no idea just how terrible of a situation, and how bad the state of the program was/is, when Frost arrived.  Now I freely admit that I was one of the fans who, in hindsight, grossly over-estimated how good this team was.  The difference between me and the fans I am referring to is, once I saw how poorly we played overall against Troy, it became crystal clear just how messed up the program was/is currently.

Coach Frost has a LOT left to fix and I know it won't all happen this year.  We may actually struggle again next year as Frost continues to weed out those not fully committed and turning over the roster.  Then there is the lag between recruiting and strength/conditioning/development that generally takes 1-2 years for each player.  2018 is a dumpster fire and 2019 may not be much better.  But by 2020 is when I expect great things.  That'll be Frost's third year, his systems in all three phases will be fully implemented, our S&C will be where it needs to be, and the sky will be the limit.

2 hours ago, Undone said:

I don't think that's really in Martinez's personality to show emotion on the field like that, so you can't really blame him. 

Spielman, Martinez, Morgan, Ozigbo, and Washington say all they need to say with the plays they make. But our defense looks like they just don't want to be playing football in every single second half of the five games we've played so far. 

agree, defense is f#&%ed up big time.

Swagger needs to be earned by winning games, and being better players than the guys on the other team . I remember the 90s linemen talking about smiling at the other team as they broke huddle and lined up  . They knew they were bigger , stronger and tougher than the other team , and 3 seconds after the ball was snapped the other team would be knocked on their asses . That’s swagger to me .

We’re not that good right now but I believe we will be again . 

The unwarranted , unnecessary , swag I see, like dancing around after a penalty, or when the team is down by 3 touchdowns is bs that shouldn’t be allowed .

23 hours ago, Hunter94 said:

agree, defense is f#&%ed up big time.

I really don't think it's any secret that Frost knew exactly what he was getting into with regards to the defense when he took the job.  Let's face it, he knew there were glaring deficiencies on the defense.  We have a UCF transfer starting on our defense that had lost his job at UCF when sophomore Richie Grant moved ahead of him on the depth chart at the end of spring practice.  Let that sink in for a moment.  Then, we lose the anchor of the defensive line who also happens to be a team captain for what appears to be a while.  We're pretty thin on defense, and the offense and special teams don't always put them in a great position.