When will the penalties stop?

Since we are the second most penalized team in FBS, any 50/50 calls, the refs tend to call against us because, let us face it, they are human and they listen to the commentators. They figure, it has to be the Huskers fault since we commit so many penalties per game. Until our guys start playing smart and stop giving the refs reasons to call things against us, this trend will continue.

I wish we could invite the big ten refs and ask them to be their usual A$$hole selves in our practices so our guys can see what would be called and hopefully avoid it come game time. 

The penalties have become a horrible addictive habbit with the Huskers of late. We need to start reversing this trend or we will always end up with the short end of the stick when it comes to refs.

5 hours ago, LumberJackSker said:

I heard something this morning on the radio i like about the holding. Vrzal mentioned when Wisconsin holds they keep their hands inside and have the defensive lineman by the armpits, but when Nebraska holds they do it outside of the shoulders which is more obvious. 

I don't know jack about what it takes to play offensive line but that sounds like poor technique. Hopefully thats something the coaches can fix with more time and their guys.

I think bad technique has something to do with the holding calls too  . Holding happens on every play, I just think better technique would keep us from getting caught . 

What you do to end penalties is you line the whole team up after practice and run "striders" (100yd. sprints).  20 should do it. 

Alternatively run shuttles 5-10-15-20-25. 5 of them followed by bear crawling the shuttles, same distance.  By the end of 2 or 3 bear crawls approx. 75% of the players should be laying down almost puking.

Penalties will stop, if not week one, for sure in week 2.

"Nor ought we to believe that there is much difference between man and man, but to think that the superiority lies with him who is reared in the severest school."

Thucydides, History of the Peloponnesian War

16 hours ago, Dogs In A Pile said:

Next year at the earliest. Expect around 10 or more penalties and 100 yrds or more the rest of this season. 

But don't expect squeaky clean games from a Frost coached team. His UCF teams averaged pretty high penalties in his 2 years there. And I'm pretty sure Frost and his staff are aware of the penalty situation with the implications they have on the outcome of the game. I also believe they trying to make improvements to the best of their abilities. And with are severe lack of depth in position groups like OL just benching a player(s) and throwing in the next body in line isn't going to have very positive results I'm afraid. 

If I am reading correctly, UCF was 127th last year in penalties at 8.4/game.  The year before they were 105th with 7.2/game........

https://www.teamrankings.com/college-football/stat/penalties-per-game?date=2017-01-10

• Plus1 1

17 hours ago, Dogs In A Pile said:

Next year at the earliest. Expect around 10 or more penalties and 100 yrds or more the rest of this season. 

But don't expect squeaky clean games from a Frost coached team. His UCF teams averaged pretty high penalties in his 2 years there. And I'm pretty sure Frost and his staff are aware of the penalty situation with the implications they have on the outcome of the game. I also believe they trying to make improvements to the best of their abilities. And with are severe lack of depth in position groups like OL just benching a player(s) and throwing in the next body in line isn't going to have very positive results I'm afraid. 

I am hoping that this season has taught him that the penalties must stop.

1 minute ago, ScottyIce said:

The good news, is most of these penalties have been on the older guys.

Doesnt seem Jaimes picks up many, also Wilson has played clean. Farniok has had his share of mistakes, but from other threads it sounds like he could move inside which would hopefully help us.

Who will play OT?  Has Sichterman got into a game this year yet?

40 minutes ago, ScottyIce said:

The good news, is most of these penalties have been on the older guys.

Doesnt seem Jaimes picks up many, also Wilson has played clean. Farniok has had his share of mistakes, but from other threads it sounds like he could move inside which would hopefully help us.

I was just telling someone this same thing. Jaimes is quietly having a very good season. He's strong and his technique is good. When Farmer plays center we look fine at center, left guard, and left tackle. IMHO Foster & Farniok lack a little bit of strength and just get pushed around a bit and then hold in order to protect Martinez.

38 minutes ago, Undone said:

I was just telling someone this same thing. Jaimes is quietly having a very good season. He's strong and his technique is good. When Farmer plays center we look fine at center, left guard, and left tackle. IMHO Foster & Farniok lack a little bit of strength and just get pushed around a bit and then hold in order to protect Martinez.

Rob Z has raved about Jaimes on the Doc Talk podcast. Said he has fantastic footwork, and only needs reps to be really, really good.