What Did We Learn? - Wisconsin

Mavric

Our offense had 500 yards for the third time this season

We were only out-yarded by 15 yards

I was actually pleasantly surprised by how our defense held up to their running game.  They had some big plays but we held them to 3-5 yards on a lot more runs than I expected.  I thought they might be getting 8-10 all night long.  We just could not get them held to 0-1 very often so we couldn't get off the field.

• Plus1 2

Frost said we would “ know it when we see it”. I think we saw it on O for sure.  

Mo Washington is one tough dude.  He will be a good one for us.

JD- single game record, most yards by a single player at Camp Randall, heart and soul of the team tonight.

Penaltues, penalties, penalties....

Liked seeing some personnel changes.

Martinez-Baller.  Tough as nails.

Definsively- guys gotta tackle.  Gotta play mean.  

Play calling-I’d like to see Martinez run more.  He needs to start making DC’s sweat

12 minutes ago, lo country said:

Frost said we would “ know it when we see it”. I think we saw it on O for sure.  

Mo Washington is one tough dude.  He will be a good one for us.

JD- single game record, most yards by a single player at Camp Randall, heart and soul of the team tonight.

Penaltues, penalties, penalties....

Liked seeing some personnel changes.

Martinez-Baller.  Tough as nails.

Definsively- guys gotta tackle.  Gotta play mean.  

Play calling-I’d like to see Martinez run more.  He needs to start making DC’s sweat

Agree with most of this.  AMART can't run more because he is all we have right now.  

Penalties are just plain killing so much for this team right now, but I think they are improving some because they were effort based tonight, not stupid.

Defense is doing the best it can with what its working with.  

O-line is a weak point, but has some shining moments.

Gaining yards is great, but points win games.

Washington is going to be a star, but we are jerking our RB's around too much right now.

Not a list of things learned but some observations.  Intentionally didn't watch the first half.  Tuned in second half expecting to see players quitting and half effort.  Instead I saw a DL that wasn't getting pushed around in the 3rd qtr and an offense that was still playing hard.  I thought the Wisconsin D looked like they lost interest and didn't seem aggressive in the pass rush.  As one announcer pointed out they got burned by BYU QB runs so I think their DL was doing the Pelini dancing bear routine to try and contain Martinez.  Martinez's running ability is a huge benefit.  Only when we were in obvious passing situations were they ratcheting up the pressure with blitzes which Wisconsin is extremely effective.  Of course penalties but overall, some encouraging signs.  Hopefully Washington isn't too frustrated and sticks around. 

I know its never good enough for some who just expect perfect blocking and no penalties, but the line looked really good more than a few times this game. 

I honestly cant remember an NU QB that looked as comfortable passing and also had showstopping running ability like Martinez. He also left some plays on the table today not trusting himself, but he will get there. Seems like every half he plays he improves. 

29 minutes ago, Mavric said:

Our offense had 500 yards for the third time this season

We were only out-yarded by 15 yards

I was actually pleasantly surprised by how our defense held up to their running game.  They had some big plays but we held them to 3-5 yards on a lot more runs than I expected.  I thought they might be getting 8-10 all night long.  We just could not get them held to 0-1 very often so we couldn't get off the field.

It's what happened in the fourth quarter for our defense. Just like it was last year.

They get past our line and then we just don't close in on the ball. We have one linebacker that played this game that gives 100% on each play and flies to the ball. One. 

The Davis twins are good for sure. You've got Freedom out there who was a good 4-3 defensive end but just isn't doing a whole lot as a 3-4 defensive end. Cam Taylor played well and obviously has a lot of speed. There are some positives but there are of course a lot of problems, ranging everywhere from still battling bad tackling by some guys to just a lack of ability for others.

4 minutes ago, PasstheDamnBallGuy said:

I know its never good enough for some who just expect perfect blocking and no penalties, but the line looked really good more than a few times this game. 

I honestly cant remember an NU QB that looked as comfortable passing and also had showstopping running ability like Martinez. He also left some plays on the table today not trusting himself, but he will get there. Seems like every half he plays he improves. 

No doubt. And how about Spielman...seriously unreal.

The Big 10 really hasn't changed much in 20 years, outside of Urban Meyer coming in. 24 points is enough to win you games in this conference. 500+ yards of offense? Totally dynamic offense, and Martinez will is already a star.

You watch Northwestern and Iowa play against Wisconsin and this s*** of getting 200 yards hung on them by a running back is rare. We get to the fourth quarter and just let em stomp us into the turf with their ground game. 

Second quarters have been pretty terrible for our offense. Imagine going into halftime with a score of 20-17. 

But at any rate...our defense is just terrible. We could actually beat Northwestern and Michigan State but it's going to take a showstopping effort from Martinez, Washington, Ozigbo, Morgan, and Spielman. 

• Plus1 2

18 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

There are some exciting pieces on offense and Frost looks to have a good scheme to utilize them.

The defense needs a complete overhaul in talent, and Chinander needs to figure out how to defend Big Ten teams. 

On defense, I think your first point will solve the second point 

• Plus1 3
14 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

That is our hope. The front 7 had no chance against Wisconsin tonight. Young is probably the worst LB I have ever seen at NU.  He got used in coverage time and time again. Our OLB’s not good either. 

Yeah. Young being the starter says a lot about the talent on that side of the ball. He plays hard, but he’s always on the wrong side of a big play. 

47 minutes ago, Nebhawk said:

AMART can't run more because he is all we have right now. 

He already had more rushing attempts tonight than everyone else combined, and about half of the total rushing yardage. Washington and Ozigbo both had significantly more YPA, but Martinez had the longest run.