What Did We Learn? - Wisconsin

Mavric

31 minutes ago, Undone said:

It's what happened in the fourth quarter for our defense. Just like it was last year.

They get past our line and then we just don't close in on the ball. We have one linebacker that played this game that gives 100% on each play and flies to the ball. One. 

The Davis twins are good for sure. You've got Freedom out there who was a good 4-3 defensive end but just isn't doing a whole lot as a 3-4 defensive end. Cam Taylor played well and obviously has a lot of speed. There are some positives but there are of course a lot of problems, ranging everywhere from still battling bad tackling by some guys to just a lack of ability for others.

I think the Davises are pretty average honestly. Just my opinion, but I didn’t see them holding their ground too much today. 

I wasn’t watching them every play, but they certainly weren’t disrupting the running game 

• Plus1 1

This may be my last time contributing to these threads.  It's very much the same s#!t everytime.  

Loved Maurice Washington ballin' out this entire game.  Every time he touched the ball it was usually good for us.  

Spielman looked back to form and had a great game.  

Morgan was solid.

AMart could have played better.  Ball security is an issue.  Accuracy also needs to improve...throws high or at guys feet at times.  I want more fire out of this guy.  This guy is getting a lot of hype but hasn't won a game.  I would be pissed by now.  

Frost needs to dial it up too...the penalties are killing us and talk is cheap.  

The defense...ugh, still under construction.  Textbook how not to tackle on some really bad missed tackles tonight.

Lack of pass rush and run stuffing leads to losing.  

We need to recruit for a top 10 class.  We basically know the few guys that make the score look respectable...other than them it is pretty thin.  

• Fire 2
1 hour ago, The Murphinator said:

Same old penalties and turnovers that kill us. The defense struggled with angles and tackling. There was a lot of promise on the offensive side of the ball with Washington, Spielman, and Martinez. The real thing that I learned is that Jurgens is going to be a center.

Yeah I heard the announcers say that and as a gut reaction I am thinking, WTF?!?!?!

By all accounts, Cam Jurgens is a freak athlete who could be a huge physical mismatch for us at the TE spot.  But, I'm going to trust Coach Frost (if this is true) that he knows what he's doing here.

This is what I learned:

(1) We continue to shoot ourselves in the foot by committing wayyyyyyyyyyyy toooooooooo many penalties which have not been addressed and continue to hurt us and prevent us from winning a game

(2) We have no special teams. In fact, just calling what we have special teams is an insult to the term special teams.

(3) Coaches have very bad game management skills. We finished the game with THREE timeouts in our pocket. Why not use them to get the ball back and try and score. The coaches seem to have quit with 4.5 minutes remaining. That sends a wrong message to the team.

(4) We definitely did not miss Lindsey or Bell. In fact, our offense played well enough to win.

(5) Our defense is making it extremely hard for the offense to play organized. When we fall so far behind because our defense can’t stop anyone, it forces the offense to throw the ball so much because we want to catch up. That is not a good strategy. Black shirts should be taken away from everyone on the defense until the defense starts playing well as one unit and not just a few individuals who are carrying everyone else on the defense.

(6) Our team seems to have forgot how to win. We need to win soon or it will be very difficult for this team to build the confidence needed to start winning ball games again.

(7) Until we eliminate the penalties and have our special teams do something special and have our defense play like their lives depend on it, we will not win a game other than the Div II game and maybe (strong maybe) Illinois.

Our offense can be great when the OC calls the spread game and stays away from our inept line. But even then there’s a chance they’ll put their hands in the defenders face , block in the back, or run up in the stands and tackle someone’s mother.

The defense tries but doesn’t have the Jimmies... they could also use some tackling practice. If they’re being held then they need to do something to make it obvious.

The Never-look-back pass defense isn’t working.

• Fire 1

We could have won every game except Michigan if we cut the stupid penalties in half and had ST that were average. The 95 Huskers would have lost 5 games with this many penalties and pathetic special teams. Throw in the terrible turnover ratio, and it even makes winning more difficult. I am not sure why the coaches are having so much difficulty eliminating the penalties, but it was nice to see a new punter. Hopefully Frost makes enough progress to get us a win next week.

1.  We saw glimpses of what we were expecting to see from Frost's offense.  The team moved the ball well in the second half and there were glimpses of signs to come with the weapons on offense.

2.  Similarly, we saw what we expected from Chinander's defenses at UCF.  They give up lots of points and yards against good competition and I do not see a great future for Chinander's approach in the BIG even if/when he has new personnel on the field.  

3.  Speaking of defense, we were most aggressive in the Colorado game and that happens to be the game we had tons of sacks and were the closest to winning.  I realize that Wisconsin was running the ball a lot, but when they passed, they had all the time in the world.  I am not sure why we were not dialing up the pressure on defense.

4.  We have regressed in the punting game big time.  I am not sure who is telling Lightbourn to do the rugby punts, but he ended 2017 as one of the most improved players on the team, and he is going backwards in 2018.  

5.  I am super excited about Martinez, Spielman and Washington and they all should feel good about their future at Nebraska.

• Plus1 1

It appears that more players are becoming more familiar with and understanding the offense.  Our freshman QB is learning and getting better but despite the yardage and stats, he has lots of upside yet to develop.  Imagine what he will be like by next year at this time, having another year of practice and learning and getting the timing etc down with his skill players.  I also expect the playbook will gradually expand and Frost will feel more comfortable running a bigger variety, etc.  Of course, the O line has to grow bigger, stronger, smarter, angrier, etc.   This game played our about like our 3rd game of the season instead of our 5th.  Not a surprise considering the perfect storm start in games one through three.   

The defense is doing some good things but can't seem to string enough good plays together to stop drives before mid field so we have little chance of getting or changing starting field position.   Special teams need a month's worth of live practice.   Until we get the basics down (coverage, field awareness, legal blocking, etc.), we are going to lose the field position battle and that costs us atleast 14 pits to every team we play.   However, there are signs of development and improvement.  There remains hope for two or three wins yet this fall.   

9 hours ago, Mavric said:

Our offense had 500 yards for the third time this season

We were only out-yarded by 15 yards

I was actually pleasantly surprised by how our defense held up to their running game.  They had some big plays but we held them to 3-5 yards on a lot more runs than I expected.  I thought they might be getting 8-10 all night long.  We just could not get them held to 0-1 very often so we couldn't get off the field.

I like the positives you list, but let’s be honest - this was a “look beyond” game for the Badgers. They play Michigan next week, and they knew they could win by just showing up yesterday. 

I thought both sides of the ball played much improved.  

Ozigbo needs and and deserves more than 5 carries in a game

Lamar Jackson and Dedrick Young are complete liabilities on defense

Im curious what the point of putting Mazour in scholarship was if he isn’t going to play until garbage time.

Offensive line played better.  Martinez had a lot of time to throw most of the game.

Martinez will be an absolute weapon when he understands he can run more than he does.

Tre Neal might understand this defense but he’s not very good out there.  Looks lost sometimes

I really hope JD stays all 4 years here.  Dude is amazing.

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 1
8 minutes ago, StPaulHusker said:

I thought both sides of the ball played much improved.  

Ozigbo needs and and deserves more than 5 carries in a game

Lamar Jackson and Dedrick Young are complete liabilities on defense

Im curious what the point of putting Mazour in scholarship was if he isn’t going to play until garbage time.

Offensive line played better.  Martinez had a lot of time to throw most of the game.

Martinez will be an absolute weapon when he understands he can run more than he does.

Tre Neal might understand this defense but he’s not very good out there.  Looks lost sometimes

I really hope JD stays all 4 years here.  Dude is amazing.

Lamar Jackson shouldn't be playing.  He is not there to play and give effort.  On Taylor's 88-yarder, Jackson wanted no part in trying to make a tackle.  He practically ran away from Taylor.

Young was pretty much benched for Weinmaster in the 2nd half.  It will be interesting to see if that sticks on the depth chart.  Honas's injury kills NU right now.

Tre Neal isn't good either.  I guess I didn't realize he would have been a backup at UCF this season, but that's one of the reasons he transferred to NU.

Mazour is on all the special teams, and there were scholarships available for this semester.  I don't see the negative of putting him on scholly, even in a limited role.

• Plus1 1