What Did We Learn? - Wisconsin

Mavric

5 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

Lamar Jackson shouldn't be playing.  He is not there to play and give effort.  On Taylor's 88-yarder, Jackson wanted no part in trying to make a tackle.  He practically ran away from Taylor.

Young was pretty much benched for Weinmaster in the 2nd half.  It will be interesting to see if that sticks on the depth chart.  Honas's injury kills NU right now.

Tre Neal isn't good either.  I guess I didn't realize he would have been a backup at UCF this season, but that's one of the reasons he transferred to NU.

Mazour is on all the special teams, and there were scholarships available for this semester.  I don't see the negative of putting him on scholly, even in a limited role.

Mazour on scholarship isn’t a negative at all!  I just figured if he worked hard enough to earn one, it was going to translate to him having a role in the offense.  That’s all.

• Fire 1
Just now, StPaulHusker said:

Mazour on scholarship isn’t a negative at all!  I just figured if he worked hard enough to earn one, it was going to translate to him having a role in the offense.  That’s all.

Fair enough.  My bad on misunderstanding your post.  Mazour may be a bigger part of the offense going forward, now that Bell is gone.  Word is that Bell was still getting plenty of reps in practice this week and was a decent part of the Wisconsin game plan.   

27 minutes ago, StPaulHusker said:

I thought both sides of the ball played much improved.  

Ozigbo needs and and deserves more than 5 carries in a game

Lamar Jackson and Dedrick Young are complete liabilities on defense

Im curious what the point of putting Mazour in scholarship was if he isn’t going to play until garbage time.

Offensive line played better.  Martinez had a lot of time to throw most of the game.

Martinez will be an absolute weapon when he understands he can run more than he does.

Tre Neal might understand this defense but he’s not very good out there.  Looks lost sometimes

I really hope JD stays all 4 years here.  Dude is amazing.

Agree with this. I get that the gameplan was to attack the secondary, but maybe a few more runs by Oz at least gives us some shorter 2nd and third downs.

As for Martinez, I have to think he's being told to protect himself. There's been plenty of times when he's scrambling where he could just take off, but runs around instead. He's going to be very, very, very good.

Mo Washington is going to be a stud. He twitches and changes direction so quick, he almost looks like a video game player. Also, he's a great pass catcher.

Finally, Id take a clone army JD Spielman all day, every day. That dude is simply a stud, and is the best playmaker we have.

2 hours ago, WyoHusker56 said:

Florida won the SEC East in 2016, went 9-4 and won the Outback Bowl beating Iowa 30-3. They had a much more talented team to turn around. 

Nebraska and Florida had very similar records the last 2 years.

Much more talented?  Perhaps.  I'd like to see how many highly rated players Mullens has ran off this year.

• Plus1 2
1 hour ago, StPaulHusker said:

I thought both sides of the ball played much improved.  

Ozigbo needs and and deserves more than 5 carries in a game

Lamar Jackson and Dedrick Young are complete liabilities on defense

Im curious what the point of putting Mazour in scholarship was if he isn’t going to play until garbage time.

Offensive line played better.  Martinez had a lot of time to throw most of the game.

Martinez will be an absolute weapon when he understands he can run more than he does.

Tre Neal might understand this defense but he’s not very good out there.  Looks lost sometimes

I really hope JD stays all 4 years here.  Dude is amazing.

Yup! But we also knew this based on his effort over the last three years. 

The biggest thing I learned is how far Wisconsin has quietly fallen this season.

The most frustrating part of the game was how our defense can make any team's offense look good in conference play. Look at their scores through their first five games:

image.png.1d27d896cb46878c79d6defbf26bca39.png

34 points against...Western Kentucky? With a three year starter at quarterback? Only put up 21 points against BYU? I'm honestly surprised they put up 28 against Iowa.

But then they play us and roll up 500 yards and 41 points. This just has to stop with poor tackling and lack of effort to fly to the ball. 

I am absolutely done with Lamar Jackson. Look at this lack of effort; he totally could have made the tackle:

RoEG4V.gif

And I just don't get using Gifford as a stand-up lineman on the edge. In my opinion it just won't pay off. When you're playing Wisconsin just line your backers up like you did against Colorado in more of a standard 3-4.

• Plus1 2
3 minutes ago, Undone said:

The biggest thing I learned is how far Wisconsin has quietly fallen this season.

The most frustrating part of the game was how our defense can make any team's offense look good in conference play. Look at their scores through their first five games:

image.png.1d27d896cb46878c79d6defbf26bca39.png

34 points against...Western Kentucky? With a three year starter at quarterback? Only put up 21 points against BYU? I'm honestly surprised they put up 28 against Iowa.

But then they play us and roll up 500 yards and 41 points. This just has to stop with poor tackling and lack of effort to fly to the ball. 

I am absolutely done with Lamar Jackson. Look at this lack of effort; he totally could have made the tackle:

RoEG4V.gif

And I just don't get using Gifford as a stand-up lineman on the edge. In my opinion it just won't pay off. When you're playing Wisconsin just line your backers up like you did against Colorado in more of a standard 3-4.

My favorite part of this .gif is where 21 just gets assholed.  

That tackle attempt from 23 is pretty special.

• Plus1 2

Wisconsin was 7.7 yards per rush.   We did our usual non-defense and they took what they needed at will, generally. 

Our 3 for 10 on third down conversions was sick.. although we seemed to do better on other downs thanks to Martinez.

The damned defense is losing our games.  All of them.

Offense:

-Gave Martinez a pocket most of the game

-AMart, JD and Washington are going to be lethal

Defense:

-D Line couldn’t control LOS.  Weak pass rush.

-Freshman guys look good

-Im trying not to call out players individually anymore, but there are two players, one starter and one former starter that should never see the field.

Special Teams:

-Great call to change punters

-They had no respect for our KO coverage. No team should be able to make it to the 15 if they run out of endzone.  They were consistently venting to 30.

I liked what I saw.  There is hope if we have patience.

• Plus1 2
58 minutes ago, The Dude said:

Nebraska and Florida had very similar records the last 2 years.

Much more talented?  Perhaps.  I'd like to see how many highly rated players Mullens has ran off this year.

In 2016, Nebraska lost to Iowa 40-10. Florida beat that Iowa team 30-3. Similar records sure. Similar talent level no way. 

As far as transfers, I know Florida had a few, but I don't know who or how many. I also don't think anyone was ran off from NU. I think players decided they didn't fit or didn't want to fit Frost's offense and he didn't try to stop them from leaving. 

• Plus1 4