What Did We Learn? - Wisconsin

Mavric

Martinez and Spielman have the makings of stars and NFL level skillsets. 

The offensive skill position guys played lights out and never gave up.

I could round up 5 fat guys from any bar in town and they would do a better job of blocking than our offensive line. Their effort and technique are both pathetic. How many big plays were negated by them doing something stupid? 

The defense is generally bad. Coverage is poor, run defense is bad, and we can’t generate a pass rush. But worst of all is their complete inability to tackle. On several plays, several defenders were running alongside the RB or WR carrying the ball and not even attempting to make a tackle. It reminded me of watching my 4 year-old daughter play soccer. 

I have confidence in Frost and the staff, but thought we would be further along by now. We have to eliminate mistakes and general stupidity. Some of that is dumb players, but part of it is also coaching.

Despite the result last night, I saw signs of progress.

• Plus1 1

I learned that we have a handful of very good and exciting players on offense; 2AM, JD, MoWash, Ozigbo, Stanley Morgan And only a couple on defense; Mo Barry and Bootle. There might be some younger guys with potential to develope and there might be a few others that are serviceable but what we really need is a whole bunch of new jimmies and joes, especially on defense.

We won’t win until our offense starts putting up 40+ points because our defense is that bad. And they won’t start putting up 40+ points until they get turnovers and penalties under control.

Special teams is still atrocious. Every minute they have spent practicing special teams has been a complete waste of time. We need to negotiate alternate means of changing ball possession with the league because any time we have to put a kick or return unit on the field we’re going to lose in the transaction.

I dont see this team getting much better this year. It doesn’t appear that our most severe problems are things that practice helps.  We need jimmies and joes and that improvement will be measured in years not weeks.

I am tired and fed up with listening to all of these players and coaches in press conferences. If I hear “they battled” one more time following them getting their sh#t kicked in, I’m going to lose it. Just quit talking about it and do it.

I shouldn’t have abandoned Comfortably Numb so quickly. I’m back there already. I seriously do not expect any game to end in victory this season. Maybe, possibly Bethune-Cookman. Maybe. And that’s only based on knowing they are FCS. Not sure that matters because we play like an FCS school.  The good side of this is my expectations are at an all time low so anything positive that happens will seem awesome.

Thank God Wiscy did not decide to simply run it between the tackles all night. Holy sh#t that would’ve been ugly. If I was Chryst that is exactly what I would’ve done. Not a single pass, not a jet sweep, nothing but right down our throat. It would’ve been a blood bath.

• Plus1 1
38 minutes ago, Undone said:

The biggest thing I learned is how far Wisconsin has quietly fallen this season.

The most frustrating part of the game was how our defense can make any team's offense look good in conference play. Look at their scores through their first five games:

image.png.1d27d896cb46878c79d6defbf26bca39.png

34 points against...Western Kentucky? With a three year starter at quarterback? Only put up 21 points against BYU? I'm honestly surprised they put up 28 against Iowa.

But then they play us and roll up 500 yards and 41 points. This just has to stop with poor tackling and lack of effort to fly to the ball. 

I am absolutely done with Lamar Jackson. Look at this lack of effort; he totally could have made the tackle:

RoEG4V.gif

And I just don't get using Gifford as a stand-up lineman on the edge. In my opinion it just won't pay off. When you're playing Wisconsin just line your backers up like you did against Colorado in more of a standard 3-4.

He’s terrible. Or, at least, his effort is terrible. 

5 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

I could round up 5 fat guys from any bar in town and they would do a better job of blocking than our offensive line. Their effort and technique are both pathetic. How many big plays were negated by them doing something stupid?

Pass blocking was actually good last night. If it hadn't been, how else do we get to over 400 yards through the air?

We only had 24 rushing attempts, 13 of which were by Martinez and one was by Bunch. 

Offensive line was decent enough as a unit last night to win the game outside of all of the penalties.

• Plus1 1

11 hours ago, 4skers89 said:

Not a list of things learned but some observations.  Intentionally didn't watch the first half.  Tuned in second half expecting to see players quitting and half effort.  Instead I saw a DL that wasn't getting pushed around in the 3rd qtr and an offense that was still playing hard.  I thought the Wisconsin D looked like they lost interest and didn't seem aggressive in the pass rush.  As one announcer pointed out they got burned by BYU QB runs so I think their DL was doing the Pelini dancing bear routine to try and contain Martinez.  Martinez's running ability is a huge benefit.  Only when we were in obvious passing situations were they ratcheting up the pressure with blitzes which Wisconsin is extremely effective.  Of course penalties but overall, some encouraging signs.  Hopefully Washington isn't too frustrated and sticks around. 

OK I am in the dark on this... several are saying we are jerking around our running backs and you say hopefully Washington sticks around.  But Ozigbo only had one carry in the first half.  So who is getting all the carries?

4 minutes ago, dvdcrr said:

OK I am in the dark on this... several are saying we are jerking around our running backs and you say hopefully Washington sticks around.  But Ozigbo only had one carry in the first half.  So who is getting all the carries?

The RB's got hardly any carries in the first half, as Frost didn't think NU could run right at Wisconsin and tried to attack them through the air and on the edges.  Honestly, I don't see Washington leaving, as he was being utilized in numerous areas of the offense.  He may have not gotten a lot of carries running the ball, but he was targeted numerous times in the passing game.

• Fire 1
3 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

The RB's got hardly any carries in the first half, as Frost didn't think NU could run right at Wisconsin and tried to attack them through the air and on the edges.  Honestly, I don't see Washington leaving, as he was being utilized in numerous areas of the offense.  He may have not gotten a lot of carries running the ball, but he was targeted numerous times in the passing game.

I'm gonna guess that a guy his size would prefer to play the wingback and make moves in open space rather than run up the middle. He was outstanding this game.

1 minute ago, Hayseed said:

I'm gonna guess that a guy his size would prefer to play the wingback and make moves in open space rather than run up the middle. He was outstanding this game.

Washington is thin (especially in the legs), but I think he will be able to add some weight in the offseason.  He also is going to look frail when compared to Ozigbo.  I do agree that he operates the best in space, but he did go between the tackles on a couple carries yesterday.  Yesterday is a hard game to go off since the RB's had so few carries overall.  Washington does look exciting as a receiving threat out of the backfield.

• Fire 1
15 minutes ago, Undone said:

Pass blocking was actually good last night. If it hadn't been, how else do we get to over 400 yards through the air?

We only had 24 rushing attempts, 13 of which were by Martinez and one was by Bunch. 

Offensive line was decent enough as a unit last night to win the game outside of all of the penalties.

There was a decent pocket on some plays. But their overall effort was putrid. 

• Plus1 1

It sounds strange, but I liked what I saw last night. 

-The defense had a tremendous burdon and they gave the offense every chance to make it a game in the first half. 

-It doesn't help after a 7 minute first quarter drive, Nebraska had a 1st down, then penalty, 2nd down, 3rd down, punt. Back on the field. 

-I think the defense played overall gutty. You can complain about individuals, but I saw a team that fought hard against a great Wisconsin offensive line. 

-I can't wait to see the look on Scott Frost's face when he sees the Paul Chryst "FU MFers". I think Chryst was offended that Frost went for it on 4th and 11. Like Frost didn't respect his defense, which he might not. 

-Paul Chryst is probably mad that Nebraska fired his friend Mike Riley, since he knew Riley better than Riley knew himself

-As strange as it sounds, I'm much less pissed off after this game than after the 2017 game 

-Nebraska should have went for two in the 4th, but I think even Frost knew a win was a longshot. But still...

-The dam breaking on J. Taylor was as predictable as it was long. At some point, fatigue, mental and physical, was going to set in

-Nebraska is going to have to break the 30-point barrier to win this year

-The Huskers have seven games left. Right now, we need a win like no other. That being said, a 4-3 (Bethune, Illinois, Minn, Northwestern should be...pardon the expression, winnable/competitive. Ending to the season with a winning record(and an improvement over 2017) would give me great optimism for 2019. I think it's doable.

-Adrian Martinez looked 100% healthy for the first time since Colorado. Overall, I thought he played ok. The stats are a bit misleading. But if the game starts to slow down, watch out...Last nights game should boost his confidence

-No use complaining about the refs until Nebraska gets more competitive and cuts back on the dumb penalties that put Nebraska in 1st and 20 in the first quarter on the road vs Wisconsin. When your the most penalized team in the nation, refs are more apt to 'find' penalties (aka Foster's 'block in the back'). 

-About time Caleb Lighthorne got benched. I'm sure there are better punters enrolled at UNL who are not on the football team who are more effective then him

-The power of the bench is the one power Frost needs to use and use more of. Maybe he was waiting until after 4 or 5 games to use it. 

-Brett Pickering looks to be on the right track. 

-Saw too many low snaps to Martinez. 

-Never thought I'd say this, but I miss Matt Millen. Get well soon. 

-For the first time since joining the Big Ten, I see a schematic path to toppling Wisconsin. I don't think Wisconsin's secondary can match up with a speedy wide receivers, high tempo offense, and a mobile/accurate QB. 

-I don't know if it was smart of Frost to go for it on 4th and 11 at the end of the first half, but I think he's trying to send a larger message and lay a foundation a la Frank Reich going for the win against the Texans a few weeks back and Doug Pederson for the Eagles in 2016.

-I could care less about any 'records' broken on a 0-5 team. 

I think this team is closer now that some players are gone. I think this team is better now they are gone. 

I know people talk about swagger and getting into people's faces. Right now, the offense doesn't trust the defense, the defense doesn't trust the offense, and no one likes the special teams.  The team, especially going against Wisky and Michigan, went in expecting to lose.  That's why they are congratulating each other for good plays even when Nebraska is down 2 or 3 scores. Players are doing what they can do. They practice and train hard, but don't see a path to victory. 

If this team starts to smell victory or gets a taste of it, that may all change. 

Right now, we need a W bad.  

Keep the faith. GBR. 

• Plus1 6
  • Fire 3
6 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

There was a decent pocket on some plays. But their overall effort was putrid. 

I'm mad that we're 0-5, too.

"Putrid" probably describes their effort against Michigan. To me it seems like 500 yards of total offense against an above average defense means the line was doing a lot of things right. The problem is the penalties by Foster and Farniok. I don't know if they're doing that because they're just not strong enough to muscle their guy so they hold or if it's mental or just what exactly. 

20 minutes ago, Undone said:

My big complaint is when our lineman is obviously beaten and he still has ahold of the guys jersey and is being pulled around like a tow truck…...LET HIM GO!!!! That's a "DUMB PLAY" that has cost us a bunch of good drives. You can add blocking guys in the back who aren't even in the play and a number of other stupid lineman stunts that kill drives to that list. I'm the first guy to say the refs are looking for something to call; that makes it easy for them. The replays clearly showed that the lineman did what they called in the majority of cases.

I know Martinez appreciates that they're trying to protect him but he also needs to learn when to throw it out of bounds the way the Colorado qb did so we don't get into these situations.

• Plus1 2
Just now, Undone said:

I'm mad that we're 0-5, too.

"Putrid" probably describes their effort against Michigan. To me it seems like 500 yards of total offense against an above average defense means the line was doing a lot of things right. The problem is the penalties by Foster and Farniok. I don't know if they're doing that because they're just not strong enough to muscle their guy so they hold or if it's mental or just what exactly. 

I think the yards of total offense had far more to do with superhuman efforts from the skill position guys, especially Martinez and Spielman. I saw a decent pocket on some passing plays, with good protection. Overall though, Martinez was having trouble setting his feet anf getting hit more than he should have been, the penalties were drive and momentum killing, and the offense couldn’t get into a rhythm. 

• Thanks 1