What Did We Learn? - Wisconsin

Mavric

Martinez, Washington, Spielman are going to be fun to watch not just in the coming years, but for the rest of this season. They seemed to click last night against a good Wisconsin defense. Defenses are going to have to really focus on Spielman and Martinez's passing which is going to open things up for Martinez's legs, Washington and maybe get Morgan more chances. 

Brutal start to the season, but I think Nebraska will definitely scrape together some wins to end the year on a positive note to move forward. 

1 hour ago, TheSker said:

Agreed.

The other thing we need is difference makers on the DL.  Think about how loaded we were in the 90s on the DL.....Jason Peter, Christian Peter, Grant Wistrom, Jared Tomich, Mike Rucker.....literally NFL talent across the board.  Some, like Wistrom, came in with HS All American credentials.  Others, like Tomich, we're developed.

The talent Frost has to work with is severely underdeveloped from the previous regime.

We'll get there.....

That's some talent right there.  

Patience is the key. Saw some flashes last night.  I 100% agree with Frost when he said to "get us now".  

1 hour ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

I learned that Husker fans are finally more appreciative of a pass-happy offense, and far more forgiving when the offense abandons the run, when the defense gives up 40+ points a game and when the team leads the NCAA in penalties on the way to an 0 -5 start. 

Seriously, can you imagine if a poster last year pointed to our awesome passing stats as a sign of optimism in a 0-5 season? 

This is one of the most disappointing things this season.  We have to be close to the worst team in CFB in points per yard. Over 500 yards, and only 21 points ... terrible. The drive ending penalties must stop.

2 hours ago, ColoradoHusk said:

i hope Frost was shown the video of Chryst yelling "F*ck you, mother f*cker" after Wisconsin scored to make it 20-3.  I don't have a problem with Chryst saying that type of stuff, but I hope Frost uses it as inspiration to shut up the other Big Ten coaches.  I know we have a LONG ways to go, and Frost was very confident when he got the NU job, but this type of stuff can inspire teams to improve and create a rivalry.

I didn't realize that happened.  What a dill hole.  But at least now i think he's a marginally more interesting dill hole.  

4 hours ago, dvdcrr said:

OK I am in the dark on this... several are saying we are jerking around our running backs and you say hopefully Washington sticks around.  But Ozigbo only had one carry in the first half.  So who is getting all the carries?

Against the Badgers, pretty much no one.  We threw the ball twice as often as we ran it.  Ordinarily, that would be a great source of WTF.  However, after three years of Riley, Frost probably realized the team wouldn't just be able to run right at Wisconsin.  So he played the hand he was dealt and did what he thought would give Nebraska a chance--which was throwing the ball.  Going forward, I would like to see Nebraska find their #1 RB and stop the "by committe" approach.  I mean obviously play the #2 and 3 guys if they've earned it, but play them to give the #1 breathers so he is fresh for the 4th Q.

Trust in Frost 100%.  I also trust in his staff since this is only their 3 year of working together.  I don't know if his system will ever translate into a Big 10 contender however.  Last night was a good prelude to what might happen more often than not.  We racked up 500 yards on a very good defense overall,  weak secondary, but good overall D.  They won, we only scored 24 points.  Bend but don't break D.

Remember Dr. Tom tried to pass the ball when he first took over, and eventually turned to power run game in order to win.  

• Fire 1
4 hours ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

I learned that Husker fans are finally more appreciative of a pass-happy offense, and far more forgiving when the offense abandons the run, when the defense gives up 40+ points a game and when the team leads the NCAA in penalties on the way to an 0 -5 start. 

Seriously, can you imagine if a poster last year pointed to our awesome passing stats as a sign of optimism in a 0-5 season? 

I mean ... our total offense yards are way up, our completion percentage is way up, our interceptions are down - especially when not starting a walk-on - and we haven't thrown a pick six yet.

But let's keep painting with a broad enough brush to try to make it look like people can't realize things like this and have a different opinion when the circumstances change.

• Plus1 4

4 hours ago, Undone said:

If Frost didn't run a system that was some kind of step-sibling to Osborne's option offense I don't think anybody would be very excited about the stat. I think it has to do with the fact that it's being done with a mobile quarterback system.

This offense is in no way a step-sibling to Osborne's option offense. Barely even related. 

People complained that Langsford was pulling a Beck, and that Beck was pulling a Watson, and that Watson was getting too cute when he called the kind of plays that Scott Frost has called all season.

I like the offense myself. I always have. After a five game sample I'd take Adrian Martinez over Tommy Armstrong and Taylor Martinez, the Total Offense leaders in Husker football history.  

Martinez, Washington and Spielman could be exciting for years. 

But offense hasn't really been the problem.

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 1
17 hours ago, TheSker said:

On defense, I think your first point will solve the second point 

Or....the exact opposite.

You would never, ever look to your offense to bail out your defense on a regular basis.

You need the defense to solve itself, so it can let the offense run its full complement of plays rather than constantly be playing catch up. 

• Plus1 1

I'm not worried about the offense. The missing pieces to the offense are on the o-line and just getting more experience and training from the young guys. So hopefully our couches are putting some big time emphasis on recruiting and developing some lineman. 

The defense. We need bigger stronger d linemen and faster smarter everything else. Hopefully some of our younger guys are that. 

• Fire 2