What Did We Learn? - Wisconsin

Mavric

1 hour ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

This offense is in no way a step-sibling to Osborne's option offense. Barely even related.

This offense runs some option, runs many designed quarterback keepers, throws to the tight ends, and has multiple running plays with linemen pulling or trapping. It doesn't ever line up in the "I," and there's no fullback...but yes, there are actually quite a few similarities.

But at any rate...you saw the parallel I was drawing, right? It's much more relatable to "stuck in 1995 run the damn ball guy" than it is to Callahan's West Coast offense or Riley's Pro Style offense. 

• Plus1 3
19 minutes ago, Mavric said:

And what's interesting about that is all the other schools have established cultures with kids that have been in the system for at least a season. Feel you'd see the point average way up if there was more experience across the board.

23 minutes ago, Mavric said:

And imagine our average offensive yards in a situation where:

1. We had actually played Akron.

2. Martinez doesn't get injured versus Colorado.

But at any rate, offensive penalties and atrocious special teams is the biggest factor for this discrepancy we have. 

1 hour ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

Or....the exact opposite.

You would never, ever look to your offense to bail out your defense on a regular basis.

You need the defense to solve itself, so it can let the offense run its full complement of plays rather than constantly be playing catch up. 

The point I was making wasn't about the offense/defense relationship.  It's why I specifically started my post by saying regarding the defense.

My point is a talent infusion is what will help Chinander and our defense deal with B1G offenses.

You make the point often that our defense has been an issue for years.....and I completely agree.

37 minutes ago, Undone said:

This offense runs some option, runs many designed quarterback keepers, throws to the tight ends, and has multiple running plays with linemen pulling or trapping. It doesn't ever line up in the "I," and there's no fullback...but yes, there are actually quite a few similarities.

But at any rate...you saw the parallel I was drawing, right? It's much more relatable to "stuck in 1995 run the damn ball guy" than it is to Callahan's West Coast offense or Riley's Pro Style offense. 

No. It's the exact opposite. It's much more relatable to the offenses we've been running the past 10 years than any of Tom Osborne's run-first power option teams, including Frost's 97 team. The fact that we have tight ends and multiple running plays is shared by pretty much every offense imaginable. Other than one year of Tanner Lee, we've had dual threat quarterbacks and designed keepers for 10 years. 

• Plus1 2
1 hour ago, The Dude said:

Apparently there's one of those Big Ten participation trophies between Nebraska & Wisconsin called the "Freedom Trophy" and it's been around for like 5 years.

The reason nobody knows about it or keeps forgetting about it is because it has had a permanent home in Wisconsin since it has been made. 

• Plus1 2
4 hours ago, Nebhawk said:

Trust in Frost 100%.  I also trust in his staff since this is only their 3 year of working together.  I don't know if his system will ever translate into a Big 10 contender however.  Last night was a good prelude to what might happen more often than not.  We racked up 500 yards on a very good defense overall,  weak secondary, but good overall D.  They won, we only scored 24 points.  Bend but don't break D.

Remember Dr. Tom tried to pass the ball when he first took over, and eventually turned to power run game in order to win.  

I was not impressed with their pass rush. Don't know if it was a scheme or players, but they did not get a lot of pressure on  Martinez IMO. Even with all the penalties the Oline pretty much kept him clean. 

1 hour ago, Undone said:

Also:

3. If we weren't playing the third-hardest schedule in the country. http://sagarin.com/sports/cfsend.htm

(Interestingly, #1 hardest is the team being coached by Frost's old boss Chip Kelly, which is off to a similarly rough start.)

• Plus1 4
2 hours ago, The Dude said:

Apparently there's one of those Big Ten participation trophies between Nebraska & Wisconsin called the "Freedom Trophy" and it's been around for like 5 years.

When (if) we win that trophy, I hope we take it and carry it straight to the first dumpster we find in the stadium.  Same with the stupid Hero’s Trophy.

• Plus1 2
  • Thanks 1

So, Texas is No. 9 in the nation and we can’t muster a win in five games. This feels like hell. I honestly feel like I died and went to hell and this is my punishment. Having to watch my beloved Huskers reduced to Rutgers...or may be worse, since Rutgers actually one a game this year. Is there a bottom to this pit we are falling in?

• Haha 1
46 minutes ago, Nebfanatic said:

Everything is moving along. We will look lile a football team in November...next year watch out. I'm learning this is really a year 0 as much as I hate that term. You can see it in flashes but this thing will take until next year to look right beginning to end of a game.

I think you're right as far as the offense being at year 0 this year.  Defense appears to be further back than that.  I just don't know who they will have next year that will improve dramatically what they are doing.  

• Plus1 2
13 hours ago, Undone said:

But at any rate, offensive penalties and atrocious special teams is the biggest factor for this discrepancy we have. 

Yes- I do believe offensive penalties have killed us. Not to mention horrible starting field position. 

But regardless of why- in 5 games the most points we have scored is 28. 

• Plus1 3