What Did We Learn? - Wisconsin

Mavric

37 minutes ago, Huskers93-97 said:

Yes- I do believe offensive penalties have killed us. Not to mention horrible starting field position. 

But regardless of why- in 5 games the most points we have scored is 28. 

I agree that the lack of scoring is a concern. Here are my thoughts on to why:

1) Penalties killing drive (especially against Wisconsin)

2) Turnovers and not converting 4th downs

3) Defense not creating turnovers to give the offense short fields

4) Poor special teams causing NU to go on longer drives

• Plus1 2

7 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

1) Penalties killing drive (especially against Wisconsin

Pretty much a perfect list.

• Plus1 1
27 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

1) Penalties killing drive (especially against Wisconsin)

We are converting 30% of 3rd downs and we are 1-9 on 4th down. Atrocious numbers there.

• Plus1 3
1 hour ago, StPaulHusker said:

I think you're right as far as the offense being at year 0 this year.  Defense appears to be further back than that.  I just don't know who they will have next year that will improve dramatically what they are doing.  

Cam Taylor can come in and make a difference at the other CB spot hopefully. Tannor and Honas should improve. We have pieces I think we just don't have them there yet. 

1 minute ago, Nebfanatic said:

We are converting 30% of 3rd downs and we are 1-9 on 4th down. Atrocious numbers there.

Only UCLA, Florida St, North Carolina, and Arkansas are worse than Nebraska at 3rd down this season in P5 football

Only Washington (0-2) and Oklahoma (0-2) are worse than Nebraska at 4th down this season in P5 football.

Not good at all

1 minute ago, Nebfanatic said:

Cam Taylor can come in and make a difference at the other CB spot hopefully. Tannor and Honas should improve. We have pieces I think we just don't have them there yet. 

Right.  I think there are some pieces that will be there eventually.  I'm afraid i don't see it as a dramatic improvement next year is all.  

• Plus1 2

1 minute ago, StPaulHusker said:

Only UCLA, Florida St, North Carolina, and Arkansas are worse than Nebraska at 3rd down this season in P5 football

Only Washington (0-2) and Oklahoma (0-2) are worse than Nebraska at 4th down this season in P5 football.

Not good at all

Both of those are killing us. We are getting a decent number of first downs in general but we let the defense win way too often in critical situations. The worst part is we actually do a pretty good job getting to 3rd and less than 5 but we still can't convert.

On 10/6/2018 at 11:59 PM, FAR2BLAZED said:

Its hard to win games when Officials don't use the same rule-book for both teams.

Targets
Holds
Block in the backs
: Late hits

: Facemasks

2 weeks in a row iv seen a deliberate effort by B1G crews to not throw flags on blatant penalties committed by the other team.

No...just no. 

Last week vs. Purdue? Yeah, that was a craptacular officiating team, and the myriad of boos from the crowd were well warranted. 

Vs. Wisky? Yeah, the facemask/earhole thing was iffy, as were two of the holding calls, but I really didn't see a concerted effort to rob us.

• Plus1 2
27 minutes ago, VectorVictor said:

No...just no. 

Last week vs. Purdue? Yeah, that was a craptacular officiating team, and the myriad of boos from the crowd were well warranted. 

Vs. Wisky? Yeah, the facemask/earhole thing was iffy, as were two of the holding calls, but I really didn't see a concerted effort to rob us.

Tannor and Foster's "block in the back" calls, and the absurdly missed targeting called on Stanley.

• Plus1 2

On 10/7/2018 at 12:20 PM, suh_fan93 said:

I was at the game.  I guess for one Martinez reminds me of so many other quarterbacks we've had the past several years.  He can make a great play one play and then the very next make a horrible decision that kills a drive and forces us to punt.  Over throws, several dropped int's, the fumble.   Holding on to the ball instead if simply throwing it out of bounds after clearly being outside of the tackle box. Calab Lightbourne might be the worst punter to ever put on a Nebraska uniform.  I actually said out loud 'how does this guy even get on the field'????  Thank goodness they replaced him with Armstrong.  Bootle got beat repeatedly so I'm not feeling the love for him at all either unlike others apparently.  

The line did a decent job at times but the penalties and when they get beat in pass pro they got beat.  Just unbelievable.  Their penalties killed several big plays but constantly seeing holding calls from the very same guys repeatedly.  It's unacceptable.  Their bad tendencies are deeply ingrained.  

Maurice Washington needs the ball in his hands and should be (and should have been already) our primary running back.  Without question.  Feed him.

Frost needs his guys in there.  Bottom line.

Looking forward to Evanston next week regardless.  GBR.

A lot of those AM errors are due to the fact that he is a diaper dandy.  Kid is special.  Not many kids who were playing high school last year can step on the field with Wisconsin and extend a play like he did.

22 minutes ago, dvdcrr said:

A lot of those AM errors are due to the fact that he is a diaper dandy.  Kid is special.  Not many kids who were playing high school last year can step on the field with Wisconsin and extend a play like he did.

Which makes it all the more crazy given he didn't play football in high school last year because of injury. 

• Plus1 1

I just saw a video that caught Paul Chryst mouthing off “F$&# you motherf#$&$rs” after scoring at the end of the first half. I lost every ounce of respect for this pathetic sack of meat. He should be fined and he should have to apologize to the husker fans and players. What did we ever do to this low class POS? They have beaten us six times I a row. Why is he the one cussing us?