What Did We Learn? - Wisconsin

Mavric

4 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

I think the yards of total offense had far more to do with superhuman efforts from the skill position guys, especially Martinez and Spielman. I saw a decent pocket on some passing plays, with good protection. Overall though, Martinez was having trouble setting his feet anf getting hit more than he should have been, the penalties were drive and momentum killing, and the offense couldn’t get into a rhythm. 

I definitely agree about the penalties killing drives. They probably cost us at least seven points on the board in a game that was surprisingly winnable. 

• Fire 1

Negatives 

1. Lamar Jackson and Dedrick Young are both liabilities who lack the ability to go full speed and make tackles

2. Defensive line is soft. They get pushed back 2-3 yards a lot last night. 

3. Can anyone on the defense breakdown on one on ones and make a tackle? Lot of arm tackles that turn into broken tackles. 

4. Lot of guys jogging out there assuming their teammate(s) are going to make the tackle but when they don’t, said player jogging decides to play and go full speed. #21 and #5 are very good at doing this

5. Penalties again are killers. Will this team ever learn from there mistakes? Probably not

6. Pass rush is nonexistent. They need to remove Gifford from off the line and back with the other backers. It becomes quite embarrassing while watching his play on the line. 

Positives 

1. Frost is still a great hire

2. Martinez is going to be special here for the next 3 years. 

3. Spielman and Washington are studs.

4. Pass block seems to be improving but still needs some work

• Plus1 2
2 minutes ago, Redux said:

I learned that it doesn't matter how hard select guys try, the loser mentality our last coach instilled runs so deeply that guys would rather transfer and sandbag their assignments because they don't care about winning.

I didn't see that at all, as a matter of fact I saw the opposite.

I can’t remember which podcast I listened to in the pre-season, but someone mentioned that everyone looks pretty good when the play is simple and in front of them, and that really rings true. Our OLine actually looks pretty impressive sometimes when they know their assignment and can just go cancel out a guy. But we heard about how whenever Chinander brought something different in practice, it really screwed up the OLine and the offense had a bad day. Not a surprise that it happens in season as well.

Defensively, it really hurts not having Mick. He’s a game changer when healthy and we just aren’t deep enough yet to lose someone like that for an extended amount of time. Then you throw in Ferguson and Honas and we just can’t absorb that yet. Agree with everyone that there was some lack of effort at times but I was also fairly pleased that the team didn’t just quit. Moral victory, but I do think it’s a positive.

Love the future of this offense. Just have to continue to get deeper and cut the dumb penalties. Frost is the right guy and will get us on track. Big game at Northwestern now - an opportunity to turn around this season.

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 1

One thing that Frost mentioned in the presser was that our system is meant to work when we are ahead.  That's why he said he went for it on 4th and 11...Needed to get points as he knew Wisky would grind it out making opportunities limited.  Mentioned had we gotten the lead, it would've taken Wisky "out of their scheme" to play catch up.  I think he outs a lot more emphasis on an O that can score at will then on a lights out D. 

3 hours ago, WyoHusker56 said:

In 2016, Nebraska lost to Iowa 40-10. Florida beat that Iowa team 30-3. Similar records sure. Similar talent level no way. 

Yet they managed 4 wins in 2017.   That's the team Mullen took over.  So far they're 5-1 with a win over a top 5 opponent.  

Edited by The Dude
Mullen, not Mullins. 5-1, not 4-1.
  • Plus1 2
3 minutes ago, lo country said:

Mentioned had we gotten the lead, it would've taken Wisky "out of their scheme" to play catch up.  I think he outs a lot more emphasis on an O that can score at will then on a lights out D. 

I think he puts emphasis on both.

We will have a lights out D.  It won't be this year.

7 minutes ago, TheSker said:

With the current rules I don't know if there is any such thing as a lights out D.  Offense has quarterbacks that are very protected.  You can't really hit the receivers or anyone really.    I guess it just boils down to a bunch of hand fighting, and how many capitol one commercials you can stomach.

• Plus1 2
  • Fire 1
26 minutes ago, Redux said:

I learned that it doesn't matter how hard select guys try, the loser mentality our last coach instilled runs so deeply that guys would rather transfer and sandbag their assignments because they don't care about winning.

So Riley ruined them for life?  I don’t necessarily believe that.  

• Fire 1

9 minutes ago, TheSker said:

I'm hoping was we get some speed, it will cover some issues on D.  I think Cam Taylor, Honas, Bootle, Dismuke are some young guys that seem to have a bright future for sure.  

If we could get better on stopping the run and make teams more "one dimensional" would help tremendously.

16 minutes ago, lo country said:

One thing that Frost mentioned in the presser was that our system is meant to work when we are ahead.  That's why he said he went for it on 4th and 11...Needed to get points as he knew Wisky would grind it out making opportunities limited.  Mentioned had we gotten the lead, it would've taken Wisky "out of their scheme" to play catch up.  I think he outs a lot more emphasis on an O that can score at will then on a lights out D. 

We really need one thing to go right early in the game.  I don’t care if it’s luck or just a great play but the minute we catch a break, we’re going to roll someone. 

1 hour ago, dvdcrr said:

OK I am in the dark on this... several are saying we are jerking around our running backs and you say hopefully Washington sticks around.  But Ozigbo only had one carry in the first half.  So who is getting all the carries?

Frustrated not from the number of carries but a lot of his plays I saw were negated by penalties. 

• Plus1 1
20 minutes ago, lo country said:

Pretty sure Frost said that Wisconsin is very good when they're ahead.

He said we were going to need to score some points and that's why he went for it on that 4th down.

• Plus1 1