What Did We Learn? - Wisconsin

Mavric

1 minute ago, lo country said:

I'm hoping was we get some speed, it will cover some issues on D.  I think Cam Taylor, Honas, Bootle, Dismuke are some young guys that seem to have a bright future for sure.  

If we could get better on stopping the run and make teams more "one dimensional" would help tremendously.

Agreed.

The other thing we need is difference makers on the DL.  Think about how loaded we were in the 90s on the DL.....Jason Peter, Christian Peter, Grant Wistrom, Jared Tomich, Mike Rucker.....literally NFL talent across the board.  Some, like Wistrom, came in with HS All American credentials.  Others, like Tomich, we're developed.

The talent Frost has to work with is severely underdeveloped from the previous regime.

We'll get there.....

I was at the game.  I guess for one Martinez reminds me of so many other quarterbacks we've had the past several years.  He can make a great play one play and then the very next make a horrible decision that kills a drive and forces us to punt.  Over throws, several dropped int's, the fumble.   Holding on to the ball instead if simply throwing it out of bounds after clearly being outside of the tackle box. Calab Lightbourne might be the worst punter to ever put on a Nebraska uniform.  I actually said out loud 'how does this guy even get on the field'????  Thank goodness they replaced him with Armstrong.  Bootle got beat repeatedly so I'm not feeling the love for him at all either unlike others apparently.  

The line did a decent job at times but the penalties and when they get beat in pass pro they got beat.  Just unbelievable.  Their penalties killed several big plays but constantly seeing holding calls from the very same guys repeatedly.  It's unacceptable.  Their bad tendencies are deeply ingrained.  

Maurice Washington needs the ball in his hands and should be (and should have been already) our primary running back.  Without question.  Feed him.

Frost needs his guys in there.  Bottom line.

Looking forward to Evanston next week regardless.  GBR.

• Plus1 2
  • Fire 2
1 minute ago, TheSker said:

Agreed.

The other thing we need is difference makers on the DL.  Think about how loaded we were in the 90s on the DL.....Jason Peter, Christian Peter, Grant Wistrom, Jared Tomich, Mike Rucker.....literally NFL talent across the board.  Some, like Wistrom, came in with HS All American credentials.  Others, like Tomich, we're developed.

The talent Frost has to work with is severely underdeveloped from the previous regime.

We'll get there.....

Where are you going to find these guys? Its not like they grow on trees. And top end DL talent isnt banging down the door to come to 0-5 Nebraska. Hell their not even banging down the door to come to 10-4 Nebraska. 

• Plus1 1

I learned that Husker fans are finally more appreciative of a pass-happy offense, and far more forgiving when the offense abandons the run, when the defense gives up 40+ points a game and when the team leads the NCAA in penalties on the way to an 0 -5 start. 

Seriously, can you imagine if a poster last year pointed to our awesome passing stats as a sign of optimism in a 0-5 season? 

• Plus1 5
  • Haha 1
  • Fire 1
1 minute ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

I learned that Husker fans are finally more appreciative of a pass-happy offense, and far more forgiving when the offense abandons the run, when the defense gives up 40+ points a game and when the team leads the NCAA in penalties on the way to an 0 -5 start. 

Seriously, can you imagine if a poster last year pointed to our awesome passing stats as a sign of optimism in a 0-5 season?

If Frost didn't run a system that was some kind of step-sibling to Osborne's option offense I don't think anybody would be very excited about the stat. I think it has to do with the fact that it's being done with a mobile quarterback system.

Think about the stat from McKewon though for a bit - The last time Wisconsin got 500 yards hung on them was Alabama, who later won the national championship that season. We know we couldn't just hand the ball off to Ozigbo and Washington and roll up 500 yards. You know that. I know that.

So it's pretty obvious why there is completely understandable reason for seeing this as progress. Especially when our line is at best average and possibly worse than average, and our quarterback is a true freshman. There is no doubt that Frost has a mind for offense. That's why I'm excited.

• Plus1 1
16 minutes ago, Undone said:

^^^^^^^^^THIS. 

I've sobered up from any Kool-Aid I drank during the summer. We're 0-5. This is a serious comment though - Frost will make Paul Chryst look like a little rag doll when this thing gets going.

i hope Frost was shown the video of Chryst yelling "F*ck you, mother f*cker" after Wisconsin scored to make it 20-3.  I don't have a problem with Chryst saying that type of stuff, but I hope Frost uses it as inspiration to shut up the other Big Ten coaches.  I know we have a LONG ways to go, and Frost was very confident when he got the NU job, but this type of stuff can inspire teams to improve and create a rivalry.

43 minutes ago, Mavric said:

And the final score of that contest was Bama 35 to Wisconsin 17..... 

Gotta have some defense to go along with that offense and I've seen no sign we are any closer to having a defense that will allow us to win games, let alone against some of the better teams we play.

If we had scored 35 points in all our games thus far, we would still only be 2-3. That's a pretty big problem IMO.

28 is the most points we've scored in a game even with all the offensive stats we've generated. Thank you turnovers and penalties. Another huge problem IMO.

• Plus1 1

I also learned that Big Ten officials are getting Pac 12 bad. No, not talking about the holding calls (or lack thereof against UW).

I'm talking about how they can somehow miraculously see a block in the back when a guy isn't even touched, yet straight up miss a blatant targeting call that happens directly in front of an official. In the 2nd half, Stanley was tackled against the sideline, and while he was down, two Wisconsin defenders dove (heads down) at him, both making helmet to helmet contact with the crown. But no call. That's the one he popped right up, super pissed, and had to be held back by a teammate.

• Plus1 2
  • Fire 1
2 minutes ago, Saunders said:

I also learned that Big Ten officials are getting Pac 12 bad. No, not talking about the holding calls (or lack thereof against UW).

I'm talking about how they can somehow miraculously see a block in the back when a guy isn't even touched, yet straight up miss a blatant targeting call that happens directly in front of an official. In the 2nd half, Stanley was tackled against the sideline, and while he was down, two Wisconsin defenders dove (heads down) at him, both making helmet to helmet contact with the crown. But no call. That's the one he popped right up, super pissed, and had to be held back by a teammate.

I agree. I think Stanley got pissed mostly because even after that the Wiscy guy knee'd him in the head when he was getting off him. Looked intentional to me and it seemed Stanley thought so also.

• Plus1 1