Martinez Sets Husker Freshman Passing Record

Mavric

24 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

If our offensive philosophy were the problem, the defence would play well at the beginning and wear out as the game goes. 

Our defense is struggling from from the first snap. 

I agree they need to get off the field and help themselves.  I just wish we could have taken advantage of holding Wisconsin to two field goals.  

1 hour ago, HuskersNC949597 said:

For real, I get why people might have some questions, UCF's defense wasn't always pretty at UCF for various reasons.  But they get 3 years to prove that it really is just a jimmy/joe thing.  Talk is cheap for sure, but I've yet to see anything actually wrong with the scheme, just players that have been running the wrong way for years still lapsing into bad habits.

Agreed.

I like that Frost is positive and encouraging to the team......but also points things out.

In the post game yesterday, Frost mentioned K Davis getting to the quarterback, but we have to make that play.  Those things are game changers.  

We're all too often in a position to make the play defensively and don't get it done.

10 hours ago, TheMeanFarmer said:

Do we temper this at all with the fact that Wisconsin played most of the 2nd half with their DL in contain mode?

They were working only to keep AM in the pocket and throwing the ball, not escaping containment.

And he threw 3 intercept-able balls.

No...that is how most teams will play him.

• Plus1 2
4 hours ago, BigRedBuster said:

If our offensive philosophy were the problem, the defence would play well at the beginning and wear out as the game goes. 

Our defense is struggling from from the first snap. 

It's happened in at least 2 games now that the defense played well until our offense started scoring points. It's like they (in those 2 games at least) only played well when all the pressure was on them. Then when it looked like things were going better for the O they stopped playing well.

On 10/7/2018 at 1:40 AM, Cy the Cyclone said:

My point?  Life's a crapshoot...and they still have Hamms beer in little town bars....and Iowa is full of little towns.

Great point! This is the kind of insightful commentary which all Huskerboard readers crave and too often find lacking.

Right now as a team we are throwing at a 61% completion rate and 7.4 yards per attempt. That is on par with Taylor Martinez at his prime, and we are doing it with a freshman and a walk on at the helm. And as great as Adrian has been, you can see how he can be even better. Man I love this scheme, Martinez as a junior in this offense is a scary thing to think about. 

• Plus1 3
20 hours ago, huskerfan74 said:

So, in one game, Martinez breaks a freshman passing record and Spielman breaks a receiving record yet we lose the game 41-24. At what point does this start getting through to our defense and start sinking in our defense assistant coach that they are the reason we are losing football games. Do they realize that they are letting the team down and more importantly their teammates who are playing lights out? They talk about accountability but action is needed and not words. Talk is cheap.

Do you still have the game recorded?  If so, I urge you to go back and watch the first quarter.  This should tell you everything you need to know why we're losing games 41-24 with offensive records being broke.  Wisconsin received the opening kickoff and pretty much ate up half of the first quarter before kicking a field goal.  The defense got them into a fourth and short, but ended up giving up the first down.  After being on the field for nearly half of the quarter on defense, it was the offense's turn.  They got a first down right off the bat and then did nothing running almost zero time off the clock.  Special teams which have been extra special this year has a 35 yard punt.  The defenders on the punt pretty much just watch the punt returner field the ball while they stood there and then he took off for a 15 yard return giving up a short field to Wisconsin.  The defense comes back on the field and for the most part stops them in their tracks causing Wisconsin to punt.  The offense then takes the field, and they do absolutely nothing and run almost zero time off the clock.  Then, the extra special team comes out for another punt only to see some weird rugby style punt take off for out of bounds.  Wisconsin once again gets a pretty short field before the first quarter expires.

I have a little trouble with the bolded.  Does the offense realize they are letting the team down and more importantly their teammates when they go out on the field in the first quarter and do absolutely nothing running almost zero time off the clock right after the defense had been on the field for nearly half the quarter?  Do the special teams realize they are letting the team down with their play?  Has the defense been great?  No.  However, I think people are giving the offense a pass when they shouldn't be.  Against Purdue, we scored on the opening drive.  We never put up another point until halfway through the third quarter.  The offense has been very slow starting.  Against Troy, we didn't score our first points until then end of the second quarter.  Troy is one of the perfect examples of why we're where we're at.  The defense held Troy to 253 yards and 33% third down conversion.  The defense did it's job, so why did we lose?  It was because of the offense's ability to score points and the special teams extra special play.   

7 minutes ago, junior4949 said:

Wisconsin received the opening kickoff and pretty much ate up half of the first quarter before kicking a field goal.  The defense got them into a fourth and short, but ended up giving up the first down.  After being on the field for nearly half of the quarter on defense, it was the offense's turn. 

I'll admit the offense has their issues starting fast in games.

However, the bolded part is a major issue starting the game on the defensive side of the ball.  If this doesn't happen, it makes the other Wisconsin drives that half that much easier.

1 minute ago, BigRedBuster said:

I'll admit the offense has their issues starting fast in games.

However, the bolded part is a major issue starting the game on the defensive side of the ball.  If this doesn't happen, it makes the other Wisconsin drives that half that much easier.

As I said, the defense hasn't been great.  I'm just getting sick and tired of everyone giving the offense a pass for their poor play especially when it makes a tired defense look even worse. 

49 minutes ago, junior4949 said:

As I said, the defense hasn't been great.  I'm just getting sick and tired of everyone giving the offense a pass for their poor play especially when it makes a tired defense look even worse. 

adding to your point a little but also a slight tangent.

when one side of the ball does well the other seems to struggle. defense gets a stop, offense does nothing with the ball. offense gets a touchdown, defense gives it right back. for some odd reason the whole team just cant get momentum going.

54 minutes ago, junior4949 said:

I guess I haven’t seen that. 

I see see quite a bit of complaining about their penalties that kill drives.